Subject: How Does This Game Scale? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No, don't have SH: DA yet, my FLGS got a shipment, but they were all reserved I think (at least judging by their website updates). And I'm so not touching the Finnish version.

Anyhoo, Castle Ravenloft been the "it-girl" for most of this month and one of the things even people on the angry side of the fence, like
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

do praise CR for how it scales from 1-5 players. How does DA scale? Is there a (big) difference in having 3 teams in solo, 4 in 2-player and 6 in 3-player (or 2-player, a mod mentioned)?

Would be very interested in reading experiences/insights from people who have played with varied # of people. While waiting for my copy that is... soblue
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Forrey
United States
Dallastown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The sad part is that it is now unavailable from the Dist for your FLGS. FFG has said it will be reprinted but nobody has said or knows when.

It really does suck because it is a very good card translation from the boardgame. I'm an old school '89 vs of SH player with all the expansions and i love the game still. The card game adds a different spin to the game by allowing CoOp and solo play. i have played it solo and with up to 4 people so far and as you add people the game can slow a bit if they are new. Speed picks up once you understand how to best keep the group moving to the next location. Communication is obviously key as a well when planning your strategy.

If you have played the SH BG you know already that no matter how well you plan a bad die roll can bone you horribly. The CG doesn't diminish that one bit and actually punishes you a bit more. It's failry simplistic in play like SH but the strategy of turn planning adds lots of depth.

I would say it's a solid game to pickup if you like SH or games like it. If you don't like SH or games that can hinge on a single die roll. Than i would skip it in favor of something more suitable to your play tastes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Stevens
United States
Nebraska
flag msg tools
I protect the sheep in our society from the wolves.
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I'm interested in knowing how it plays 1,2, and 3-player.

My copy will probably get here by the weekend, and if so I'll get a chance to play 3-player on Saturday!

It plays great as a solo adventure. I have 3 games under my belt and they all went to the last location. Hope to get in in a 2 and 3 player game by the end of the week.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Fell
United States
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played one game 2 player, three games solo, and one game 6 player.

2 Player game: Doesn't really count cause it was with my wife and she just did whatever I said.

Solo games: Awesome! Lost the first two, but third time was the charm! I managed a win with the Blue, Yellow, and Gray teams. Gonna play again tonight, and get excited just thinking about it

6 Player game: Fun cause it was with my friends, but I was teaching them all the rules, and they didn't really care about strategy. So everybody just picked whatever card they wanted, and we got stomped. We made it to the last room, but we were dragging 20+ Genestealers with us using Green and Gray's support powers to keep them from killing us. Upon seeing that the last location was the Genestealer Lair, we knew we were screwed.

All the games have been really fun, but the solo games have been the best.

Interesting info regarding scale:
1 Player game has 6 Marines, 2-4 genestealers spawned per round, which makes an average ratio of Marines to genestealers 6/3, reduced to 2/1.
6 Player game has 12 Marines, 6-10 genestealers spawned per round, which makes an average ratio of Marines to genestealers 12/8, reduced to 3/2.

So...odds are against teams of 6!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K.Y. Wong
Singapore
Gardens by the Bay
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gentsrugby wrote:
So...odds are against teams of 6!

Is that somehow balanced by the fact that there are more attack and support cards to go around?

Hope to play the game this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
Cologne
NRW
flag msg tools
The two 6-p-games so far left the feeling, that the game doesn't scales very well.

The 2-p-games ( 8 Marines) i had were far more fun.

Yes, you have 12 marines, but you have more Positions (greater Range) and still only 4 spawn points. So not everybody is able to use his power or attack effectively, at least not enough to counter high spawn rate (5 for a major and 3 for a minor).

Something which also not scales very well is the speed of travelling in a 6-p-game.

Since only the first room after the start takes into account how much players are on board (regarding the blip pile), every later room is crossed much faster due to the higher spawn rate. We had one room in which a blip pile was depleted after the first event card we drew in this room. More an exercise in sprinting.

DA is a fine game, but not so for 6 players as i see it.

See also this Thread:

Session

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.