Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Matthew Collier
Canada
Hamilton
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I know more than one podacast that simply uses skype to get their group's audio recorded

Thats all I got.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We use Skype to talk to each other, but we each record our voices locally using Audacity at 44KHz 16-bit mono. We each edit our own tracks (coughs, ums, etc) without cutting or inserting anything, sample down to 128-bit MP3, and one sends to the other. The final mix is saved as a 64-bit MP3.

I would recommend an outline, but not a script. Keep on track, but don't simply read pre-written stuff. A gaming podcast should be conversational, off-the-cuff. That being said, don't be afraid to let things evolve.

Talk about what interests you, what you like and don't like, and why. Don't pander to any perceived audience. Your own passions and tastes for gaming will find their own audience. If you have something interesting to say, someone will want to hear it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
Jim - Are you currently recording podcasts with someone? I'd be very interested in listening, since I was (am?) a huge fan of the Metagamers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Cote
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kilroy_locke wrote:
Jim - Are you currently recording podcasts with someone? I'd be very interested in listening, since I was (am?) a huge fan of the Metagamers.

As posted on our guild page, we have "one in the oven".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Suzi R
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Blue Microphones Snowflake mic works well.
If you're on a Mac, Garageband makes podcasting easy.
Enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
DMSamuel
United States
Wurtsboro
New York
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
RPGMusings.com
badge
Currently Playing 2 games: Star Wars Edge of the Empire and Labyrinth Lord (Barrowmaze)
mbmbmbmbmb
I use a Blue Yeti microphone, not cheap, but the best you can buy for under 100$ Here is a link.

I record two different ways: when I record my face-to-face RPG games, I set my Yeti in the middle of the table and use Adobe Soundbooth CS5 to record and edit the audio file. It compresses to a relatively small file size and allows multi-track editing/combining if I want.

When I record the my actual play podcasts and my topical podcasts with my far away buddies, we use Skype with Pamela to record into one file and I port it into Adobe Soundbooth CS5 for editing.

I trade off editing the podcast with one of the other hosts and he uses Audacity, which has the benefit of being free, but not as user friendly if you don't do a lot of audio editing already. Also, Audacity seems to make the final mp3 files about twice the size that soundbooth does, so I usually do a final save with soundbooth just to reduce filesize. This seems like not a big deal, but the difference between a bunch of people downloading a 100MB file and a 50MB file is huge.

I generally save in mono form vs stereo because for our podcasts and games it doesn't much matter.

Here are the specs for the recordings:
Sample Rate: 48000 Hz (48kHz)
File Type: mp3
Compression Bitrate: 64kbps
Channels: mono

This is pertaining to the 4geeks4e podcast found Here and my Actual play podcasts found Here

Good Luck!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Norwood
United States
Graham
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Come visit me at GamerChris.com for all sorts of chewy, gamery goodness!
mbmbmbmbmb
ekted wrote:
kilroy_locke wrote:

As posted on our guild page, we have "one in the oven".
Woo-hoo! I can't wait to see it appear in the feed!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Nicholson
Canada
Brantford
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

When it comes down to it, however, it doesn't matter what your tools are. A basic USB headset mic (I use ones from plantronics) is good enough for a very listenable recording.

It's about the content, and that should be your focus.

Think about why your podcast exists. One thing I suggest people do is write a mission statement. This will help you make decisions about what to include or not include in the show, and will help listeners know what to expect. The "we're just going to turn on the mic and talk about board games" is not the goal to shoot for.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Dennis
United States
Pawleys Island
South Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
ldsdbomber wrote:
Any of you great podcasters out there have any good advice, things like brand and cost of microphones to use, anything to improve sound quality etc, working from scripts, setting up with more than 1 person speaking etc
is there a sticky or link somewhere?

You've had some good advice here, I thought I'd add in a couple tips.

Use Levelator. It' a free program, and you should put your podcast through it before you add in any music.

Don't over filter your sound. If you do, it will sound like folks are recording in tin can or something.

Audacity is a good (and free) editing software; it is what I use when editing On Board Games.

Oh, and I have a google group designed to help out podcasters and bloggers.
http://groups.google.com/group/GamesandFandomNewMedia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fox
United Kingdom
Belfast
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I can only agree with everyone above, but here's my extra bits.

Decide what you want it to be about. My podcast focuses on interviews with people from all manner of different areas of gaming, as long as they've got something interesting. You may choose to do reviews, chat about new stuff - basically, come up with a concept and see how it goes. You can always change it if you're not happy.

Second - using Skype is brilliant. Admittedly things will sound a lot better if all parties involved record their vocal at their end (Audacity is ideal for this) but you can grab good quality audio via Skype using something like Pamela or PowerGramo.

Next - if you need to speak with someone who is reticent to use Skype, using gmail's excellent phone service is a godsend. Free calls to the US and Canada, other countries cost buttons. You'll need to record using another programme (I use Hi-Q for the calls) and do some technical jiggery, but it works. Don't be afraid to experiment!

Finally - just have fun. You're doing it to show how much you love gaming, so the most important thing is show that passion. Perhaps knock out a pilot episode to find your feet? Let people in here know when you've got something and I'm sure you'll get plenty of feedback. When I started The Little Metal Dog Show, I hadn't a clue. Now I've just put up my ninth episode, have over 12,000 subscribers and have met loads of great people through it. So get on with it and enjoy!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.