Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
I'm sure many of us play rotisserie baseball. Let's have everyone post their top players per position (10 would be nice). It would be important to know how your league scores. Your #1 player may not be #1 in someone else's league.

I don't have my lists yet, but my league is a 6x5 rotisserie (R,HR,RBI,SB,K,AVG and W,SV,K,ERA,WHIP).

-goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I don't have any lists of positions yet, but I'd be happy to join a yahoo league that somebody here will create...

I tend to draft youth/potential over age/experience, so I either win or lose spectacularly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dane Peacock
United States
Stansbury Park
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
That tickles
mbmbmbmbmb
My league is 5X5. The commish dropped the league from Yahoo, then reformed it, so we lost the history. We keep 5 of 21 players, and can hang on to a single player for a max of 3 years.

I draft based on suspected HGH usage. I do not want just any average, everyday human.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
I have become my own island state. A ravaged, war-torn land where nothing grows and the horizons are bleak.
mb
You totally caught me.

I will post mine when I get it done, though. My draft is one week from today.

I used to get good info on ESPN, but it's all pay now. Where do you guys get good rankings?

Usually, I cut and paste stats for the last few years into Excel, then crunch the numbers and rank them. But I didn't have a child back then. I may just wing it this year.

-goo

p.s. I need a good fantasy team this year, though, because it's going to be tough following my team. I've been a die-hard Angels fan my whole life. I actually really liked changing from the California Angels to the Anaheim Angels. But The Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim? I just can't stomach it. As an Orange County resident, I feel dismissed. L.A. is like a whole different world. OC doesn't want to be associated with L.A. and L.A. doesn't want us. It makes me sick. I'm having acceptance issues. This doesn't even include our disenfranchised(sp?) feelings of the Angels becoming somewhat of a manufactured team. We aren't the Marlins yet, but it's looking more and more like hired guns than our boys out there. Guerrero was one thing, but now Cabrera? He's good, but are we trying to rebuild the '03 Expos? I never thought I'd miss Disney. Then again, I can complain all I want, Erstad was in the paper in his Spring Training jersey and I got all excited. I guess hating your team is a big part of loving it so much.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gil Hova
United States
Jersey City
New Jersey
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My draft list is top-secret, but I'll spill this much: Mike Methany is my #1 draft pick right now.

But that's what I get for having a worst-player league...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Molnar
United States
Ridgewood
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Roto sucks. Play Scoresheet (http://scoresheet.com/baseball.html), where the value of a player is much closer to his value to his real team, so you don't have to do silly things like draft Juan Pierre or Danny Kolb just because of their irrelevant counting stats.

Baseball Prospectus (http://www.baseballprospectus.com/fantasy/) has excellent projections, which can be tailored to any type of league if you don't mind mucking about with a spreadsheet - which, if you're going to play with non-standard categories, that's the price you pay.

BP's projections show a massive comeback for Austin Kearns - let's hope so; I just drafted him in my NL league. There's a bunch of rookies coming up for Colorado - Holliday, Atkins, Hawpe, Closser - you gotta take a look at those guys.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Are we there yet?
United States
Richmond
Virginia
flag msg tools
I usually bite the bullet and buy the ESPN magazine baseball preview; it has fantasy baseball rankings by position. $6 isn't bad for an easy, no-effort guide for drafting 4+ teams...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm in a 5x5 AL-only league, with 8 other guys. I usually draft loosely from the mid-March Baseball Weekly issue, containing 4x4 stats for both leagues.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
How timely. My brother just pleaded me into filling in for his baseball draft tomorrow. They have been up to twelve members for a few years now, but one guy can't make it this year, though he still wants to participate. Apparently, every year, this particular guy just buys a magazine the week of the draft and uses that. So now, as a last resort, to keep the league at twelve, they have convinced me to draft for this guy in a similar fashion, out of a magazine. (I'm sure I couldn't do any better myself, since I don't follow baseball closely).

I see here that no one is willing to share their top or sleeper picks, necessarily, but do any of you have advice for a complete novice? It's a 5x5, both-league, 23-man roster with five keepers (he's picked his already, but I don't remember who they are). The best I can do is to view it as an auction game, basing my values on those of a magazine (which my brother will provide when I show up at his house at 11 AM tomorrow morning). Unfortunately, I dislike (and am not very good at) auction games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goo
United States
Yorba Linda
California
flag msg tools
badge
mb
No one is sharing their picks, which is funny because we are not playing each other. I will share my top picks when I'm ready.

As far as advice, it's really hard.

- Figure out the position depth. There are few good catchers and 2nd basemen, so try and get a good one early. Shortstop used to be that way, but now there are alot of good offensive SS.

- I think closers are overvalued. I always pick from the last few available closers right before they go. Gagne was great the last few years, but overall I don't think any of them have that great of a value over any other. Also, if you manage your team diligently, you can pick up saves throughout the year as they shift around and fill in for injured "top" closers.

- Overall, though, pick the best player available and worry about filling in your positions later. Have a list of the top players per position, but also have a top 200 overall. Only pick for position when you are forced to before you lose out.

- Start runs, don't follow them. If everyone gets crazy for 3B and a run starts, don't be a "me too" drafter. Start a run on 2nd or catcher or something.

- 27-30 years old is prime career. Just keep it in mind.

- Forget position depth and back ups. After you get your starters, take some risks with sleepers or stock up in one scarce position for trade.

- That being said, do not waste a high pick on a second top tier player of a position you already have with the intention of trading (did that make sense). Do not draft players with the intention to trade. Chances are you'll get stuck with that player on your own bench.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head. I also don't mind drafting favorite players or Angels over other players if it is a toss up. I like to like my team. I will not take Edmunds for example for anything. And I'll go for Guerrero the first chance I get.

-goo
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D S
United States
Mundelein
Illinois
flag msg tools
I'll try to keep it all in mind. Thanks for the tips!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Pieters
Canada
Waterloo
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Only reason I'm not sharing is, as I said, that I don't buy a magazine (Baseball Weekly) until mid-March. It's not mid-March yet! ninja

Seriously, though, mine is a 5x5 AL only league, using $260 for 23 players (9 pitchers + 14 position players), and with keepers. The keepers really skew the remaining values.

That said, I've got Blalock at $3. We get to sign contracts, where it goes up $5 per season, so I'm signing him for 4 years ($8, $13, $18, $23). Victor Martinez at $6 is a good deal too arrrh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.