Recommend

Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » OLD BGGBlogs (do not use)

Subject: Kids Games played in February, 2005 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
February was a bit better than January. Work pressure kept me from playing any long games (so no HeroScape this month).

These are games I play with my kids (I don’t have time to make it to the local game group, so I am grooming my own gamers). They are Cole (9), Cort (7), and Corbin (6). Hopefully these reports will help other parents pick good games for their kids.

The Haunting House (x2), Corbin, Cort
A new game that I picked up from a trade (BTW, I have had a fantastic time trading games and fine-tuning my collection, more on that in another post). I knew it was pretty chaotic and has been panned for that, but I thought it might be good for kids. Plus my daughter loves anything with a spooky theme (I need to take her to Frank Branham’s house sometime!). It turned out to be a good acquisition. Lot’s a chaos, but a fun game. During one random round, Cort got close to the exit and managed to program his cards correctly to get out. Corbin had no problem following the directions of the cards, but I had to help her during the programmed rounds to build a good program.

Rugrats UNO (x5), Cort, Corbin, Cole
I usually don’t track plays of this game. We play a round or two before bed often, but this time I noticed that Cort had really mastered the game. He would use wild cards to change the color of play do that he would use a Draw-2 card next time around. BTW, this is one of the ‘My First Uno’ series. You only start with 5 cards, the Draw cards are ‘Draw-2’ instead of ‘Draw-4’. My kids CAN play the regular style Uno, but I find this version to be shorter and that makes it ideal to play a few rounds when it is 10 minutes until bed time.

Formula Dé Mini (x1), Cort, Corbin
Cort found this on my shelves (it’s a good sign when they start looking for more games to play!). I gave Corbin some coaching on when not to shift up so high for the curves. I warned Cort about some of that too, but he ignored my advice. The thing is, he managed to always roll low in that case and make the curve. Needless to say, he zoomed way ahead of Corbin and I to easily win. Maybe I need to take coaching from him!

Dawn Under (x1), Corbin
Still a favorite of my daughter’s. She can set the game up by herself now!

Capt'n Clever (x1), Corbin
Good little game for kids. Nice and quick.

Pirate's Treasure (x1), Corbin, Cole
Probably not ideal for Corbin. The main game play is certainly within he grasp, but the game requires each player to setup a treasure map for the next player. And there are rules about how cards can be setup. Next time we play, I’ll try to setup the maps for everyone, instead.

MacGregor (x1), Corbin, Cort
Corbin is on the lookout for anything with ghosts (or vampires). This played quite well with the kids.

Loco (x1), Cole, Uncles and cousins
I brought this to a family dinner and we had time for two quick rounds with one of Cole, his cousin (10) and two uncles. The game is supposed to only play with up to 4 players, but it didn’t seem to suffer with 5 players. Very simple rules, which is the speed of the two uncles, but I got a complaint from one of them when, after the first round, I mentioned that scores accumulate each round (“You didn’t tell us that before”)!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, I'm glad to read these journals of yours. I'm also pleased because our kids seem to line up, age wise:

Jacob 9 (well, he's 3 days short of being nine, let's cut him some slack
Daniel 7
Kate 5 1/2 (1/2s are very important when you're in kindergarten)

I wish we didn't leave across the U.S. from each other, we could get our boys together to play some HeroScape.

What games have you found that all of the kids are interested in? So far the only one I can stomach is Sorry, with the "three cards in your hand, start with one man out" variation. That variation turns Sorry into a very playable game, if you haven't tried it. As you point out, Uno is another good one.

Tried to play Sequence last night, and perhaps it was the long day, or perhaps it was the beer I had with dinner, but I ended up zoning out of the game because my middle boy was taking waaaayyy too long to place his chips.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Worden
United States
Minnetrista
Minnesota
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.mwgames.com/JumpGate ... check it out! ;-D
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for posting these, Robert ... I just started looking to find games to play with my soon-to-be-5-year-old girl. Right now we only have the games that have been given as gifts (and they're mostly pretty horrible game-wise, with "Sequence for Kids" being the best of the bunch).

I just completed a trade for MacGregor, so I'm glad to see that it worked well with your kids.

-Matt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you played Geister with your kids? It's Stratego-like but with good and bad ghosts. My 7 year old daughter and her friends think it's very neat. Although she does admit "That game makes me sweat." She's an abstract strategy, no luck kind of gal and we're trying to get her more accustomed to dealing with decisions under uncertainty, bluffing, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave,

There are lot's of games that my kids like:

Cole's Top-3 (9)
HeroScape
Memoir '44
Star Wars: Queen's Gambit
Cole has even asked to create his own BGG account so he can rate games! I cried a tear that day

Cort's Top-3 (7)
Uno
Colloretto
TransAmerica

Corbin's Top-3 (6)
Gulo, Gulo
Dawn Under
Flea Circus

Games all three kids like
Blokus
Kings in the Corner
Transamerica

I really steer them away from the mass-market games when I can. I have tons of better games. We have played Sequence and it has done well, but no one is begging me to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sue,

I'll have to take a look at Geister. But I am not a big fan of abstracts, so...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
But, hey, since it's a two-person game, your ghost-loving girl can play with one of her brothers and spare you the abstraction!

Sue (mother of an only child who lacks such options)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Stone
United States
Sedro-Woolley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
To all my geekfriends, I know I haven't been around much lately, but BGG is still my homepage and everyone is still in my heart everyday. Just so damn busy!
mbmbmbmbmb
Great to see this kind of post - perhaps I should do one as well, as we play some different games. My kids are Aaron (10) and Amber (6).

I wanted to mention that my kids also like The Haunting House. I'm not surprised that adults may rate it so low, but it is great as a kids game. We just purchased The Haunting House: The Second Story, but haven't picked it up from Gamefest yet. Adam and I have been playing phone tag as to when I can pick up my order. Hopefully Monday since the kids (me too) are eager to see how the expansion plays. Depending, I may pick up expansion #3 when it is available.

Also picked up Gloom for the teeny-agers in our family (my children's cousins). Hopefully they'll take a liking to it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Kendall
United States
Lebanon
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Robert, if your children like Memoir '44, QUICK go buy a copy of "Battle Cry" before it goes out of sight as well as out of print. Same system concept for the American Civil War. My kids all love Battle Cry (even my daughter).

Your children will soon be studying this in school and the game may provide them with some school project material to use in class. (Also, using it this way might just recruit some new gamers--heh, heh, wink, wink).

P.S. Days of Wonder is bringing out Memoir '44 expansion material this year including some new plastic--Eastern Front for sure, not certain from their hints what else yet.Dpshake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Cannon
United States
ATLANTA
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh, I've got Battle Cry too. It was Cole's favorite before Memoir '44. Now it sits gathering dust...

And I am eager for what DOW has coming out in the future for the Memoir '44 series.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Farris
United States
Crawford
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In addition to many of the games mentioned above my son Autry (9) enjoys Kings Breakfast, Monza, Bang, and many of gamewright card games. I am thinking of trying out Pirates Cove soon. Maybe even some Settler's...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David G.
United States
Moorpark
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I bought Blokus, and just had to share my prideful moment! My nine-year-old beat me at it, and used all his pieces, without any help!

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/image/71632

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.