United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For those of you with an iPod or iPhone, the Wabash Cannonball App is now available at the App Store.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
For those of you with an iPod or iPhone, the Wabash Cannonball App is now available at the App Store.

Does it feature computer players?

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Ooh! I'd pay twice that price if they ported the game to Android (and it worked reliably). NUDGE NUDGE

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Ooh! I'd pay twice that price if they ported the game to Android (and it worked reliably). NUDGE NUDGE

Porting in this case meaning 'rewrite basically from scratch'

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Heaney
United States
Quincy
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ditto for a little PC Windows version!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
thepackrat wrote:
jrebelo wrote:

Porting in this case meaning 'rewrite basically from scratch'

B>

Not my concern. Make it run on android, get my money.
I think with good coding practices, there should be a good amount of reusable code from one system to the next in terms of the business logic at the game level. Even if the two platforms use entirely different programming languages, if the application was designed well and documented, it should be fairly trivial to implement a bunch of classes in another language for game objects that do the same things. Getting it to work on another platform will require work, I realize that. That's why I say I'd pay double for an Android version.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Mumford
United States
Somerville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
ceci n'est pas une pipe
mbmbmbmbmb
Makes me happy that the original name is back.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J C Lawrence
United States
Campbell
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
photocurio wrote:
Makes me happy that the original name is back.

It is just sign that this is a Winsome Games-sponsored product rather than a Queen Games project. Each publisher holds the rights to a different name.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Winsome Games licenses Chicago Express (as a board game) to Queen Games and Wabash Cannonball (as an electronic game) to Moku Games. I figure that they should promote each other, it will help the sales of both Queen's Chicago Express board game and Moku's Wabash Cannonball iPod/iPhone App, resulting in a bigger royalty check for Harry Wu.

The presentation of the game in the iPod/iPhone App is gorgeous. Moku is as good with pixels as Queen is with wood bits. Charlie Sheppard at Moku is a master of his avocation!

If any of you would like to see another Winsome Game done for the iPod/iPhone, feel free to suggest which game here. I will check in and see what folks say.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:

Not my concern. Make it run on android, get my money.
I think with good coding practices, there should be a good amount of reusable code from one system to the next in terms of the business logic at the game level. Even if the two platforms use entirely different programming languages, if the application was designed well and documented, it should be fairly trivial to implement a bunch of classes in another language for game objects that do the same things. Getting it to work on another platform will require work, I realize that. That's why I say I'd pay double for an Android version.

I think you underestimate the impact that the massively different APIs would have on the game structure. Sure, the logic of the AI (if there is one) would be able to be rewritten fairly closely but everything else would be different.

B>

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:
If any of you would like to see another Winsome Game done for the iPod/iPhone, feel free to suggest which game here. I will check in and see what folks say.

Locomotive Werks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim Harrison
United States
Cleveland
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
www.gamesonthebrain.com
badge
www.gamesonthebrain.com
Morganza wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

Locomotive Werks

Coincidentally, before I saw this post, Lokomotive Werks was the first game I though of.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR
Canada
Victoria
British Columbia
flag msg tools
Memento ferrugo
badge
Memento ferrugo
mbmbmbmbmb
Not only the AI but once you get past the massively different APIs, there are a lot of things common to each application. AI, sure. But the fact that you'd have a shitload of objects representing things like companies, treasuries, cubes on or off the map. The business logic that goes in to where a cube can be legally placed. How much does it cost. Who's turn is it now? These things are all basic game logic that if not directly portable, would not require any serious brain power apart from porting them to the correct language.

If the software is well designed (assuming the iphone platform facilitates good design), then the bulk of what I mentioned above should be encapsulated from the issues that separate each phone. Things like detecting inputs and understanding them and drawing output, etc, will be different from platform to platform, of course. Presumably they have toolkits to make it easier to do this...

Anyway, getting back to the main point. It's nice to see this game on iPhone, it would be really nice to see it on Android. Fact: This is technically possible. Exactly how much work it would entail is pointless for us to debate since we have no idea how it was designed for the iphone release. If it was done, would buy it. I'm sure I'm not alone.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Murphy
Australia
Pyrmont
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jrebelo wrote:
Not only the AI but once you get past the massively different APIs, there are a lot of things common to each application. AI, sure. But the fact that you'd have a shitload of objects representing things like companies, treasuries, cubes on or off the map. The business logic that goes in to where a cube can be legally placed. How much does it cost. Who's turn is it now? These things are all basic game logic that if not directly portable, would not require any serious brain power apart from porting them to the correct language.

I woudl expect the game logic to be far smaller than the interaction and graphics-handling layers of any nicely presented application. Hence, the bulk of the work is in the once-per-platform piece.

B>
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Bohrer
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
GamesOnTheBrain wrote:
Morganza wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

Locomotive Werks

Coincidentally, before I saw this post, Lokomotive Werks was the first game I though of.

Lokomotive Werks would be a great choice, I agree.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
KAS
United States
Arlington
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
If someone made a graphical calculation app for Baltimore & Ohio on the ipad/iphone, that would cut down play time by 20% or more for our group. The excel sheet helps, but having this on the ios would be great.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher M
United States
Flowood
MS
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Transamerica and SNFC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Foster
United States
Eagle Bend
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Deaddogdays wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

Transamerica and SNFC

agreed, SNCF would be fab on iPod. It is a quick game, perfect for the, I've got 5 minutes to play a game moments.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hannes Riener
Austria
Vienna
Austria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Will it be updated to an Universal App eventually?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jimmy Shaftoe
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And a jolly good app it is too.

Regards

Jimmy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hrm so if I play it on the iphone should I log it as a play under Wabash Cannonball?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jerome Chan
Singapore
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hannes wrote:
John Bohrer wrote:

Will it be updated to an Universal App eventually?

I'm playing it on the iPad and there are no problems with it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Berg
United States
Blacksburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Highly recommend!

I had never played WC, but have had experience with 1830 and Railways of the World. A good tutorial. Rules are provided. Several screens showing players and company standings as well as a screen that provides info on end of game conditions. The AI is pretty good (I win about 50% on 3 player game, less often on 4 or 5). It would be nice to have expansions. Works great on my older iPod touch.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Costas
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Bohrer wrote:

Robber Barons
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Roe
Ireland
Dublin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I've played a few games now (never played the boardgame), and it is great, very professionally executed.

One thing that puzzles me is that if I place three tracks next to each other (in a triangle of hexes) that costs me three track lays, since once track is placed in the third hex, it connects to all the adjacent hexes with track in them. Hard to describe, but if you imagine, three hexes, A,B and C in a triangle, I build track from A to B (one track lay) and then from B to C, that (I think) should only cost me one track lay, but it costs two, since the app insists on connecting from C to A aswell, even though that's not necessary.
Is that the case in the boardgame too, or is the App being silly?

It may seem like a small point, but of course it matters enormously if you want to maximise your payout and reach Chicago, since very often you want to lay from A->B->C in order take in an extra city, but paying an extra track lay will mean you fail to reach Chicago.

Hope I've described the question correctly. Any answers much appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.