Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Me rocking out with my band, which you can hear at www.raindriver.com
mbmbmbmbmb
We had an interesting situation come up in our game last night. Disclosure: I was one of the players involved, and will win or lose based on your determination.

During the Initiative Phase of what was to be the last turn of the game, Player A plays the Quiet Eon card, which has the following text:

"No other event cards may be played until the beginning of the next turn. Play at any time."

Indeed, during the Meteor Phase, big rock go boom and the game ends. At that time, Player B and Player C are tied for the lead, although Player B has more dinos on the board and thus normally wins. However, Player C then plays the Unexpected Gene card which says:

"This card is worth two Mutation Points (VP) during final scoring. Play this at the end of the game."

The question is, does Quiet Eon prevent Player C from playing Unexpected Gene at the end of the game?

The rules are no help, as they simply state that when the meteor hits the game ends immediately and the winner is determined.

The argument for Player B is that another turn has not begun, and so Quiet Eon is indeed in effect. The argument for Player C is that when the meteor hits, the turn (and the game) is over, and thus it is now legal to play Unexpected Gene.

I will note that we are a very friendly group, but we do like to eliminate ambiguity where we can. I can see players in the future holding onto Quiet Eon solely to prevent play of Unexpected Gene at game end, especially in close games (like ours). Also, my horoscope said that my judgement would be impaired, which my wife gleefully took to mean I wouldn't win any games at this particular session. I'd like to prove her wrong! javascript:emoticon(document.MESSAGEFORM.body,'')

Thanks for any help in resolving this issue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Re:Event Card Question - Quiet Eon/Unexpected Gene
Looks like Dave and I overlapped, please refer to his article (preceding mine) in which my POV seems to be losing. surprise

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
howl hollow howl
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
Yeah, but I like how we both used the "Player A/Player B" nomenclature. This is why I call our gaming retreats "Gathering of Engineers". laugh

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Cooley
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dave (#445503),

Ah, but who gets to be Player A and who gets to be Player B?

Doug

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.