Subject: Humans a little underpowered? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark Hensel
United States
Saline
Michigan
flag msg tools
I have played this great game a half dozen times and it seems like the humans rarely win. They are certainly more difficult to master but it does seem that they might be a bit underpowered.

The suggested handicaps all rob one side of ability and I don't want to do that. I thought of experimenting with rewarding the humans with an advantage card each time they kill a demon. This will add to their potency and at the same time have an impact on the decision-making of the demon player. Also, as the scenarios seem to typically limit the demon player to two summoned demons per game it is mitigated somewhat.

Any input or ideas that anyone has or is thinking about trying would be great to hear about.

Thanks and thanks Croc for the fine game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you read this thread?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I just got my copy and haven't yet had the chance to play it, but Sphere's review/playthrough gave me the distinct impression that the human's must hurry in this game. Time is not their ally. Push, push, push to win as fast as possible because the demons gather threat turn-by-turn. They have unlimited resources which mount over time.

Perhaps bearing that in mind will help you play the humans more effectively.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Hensel
United States
Saline
Michigan
flag msg tools
Thanks for the link. I haven't read it but I will. I must admit that part of my desire to tweakt he game is for tweaking's sake itself. I am thinking through a system for making human stats blind to the demon until they are in melee range (the same tile) or with an ability of some kind.

Thanks for the input. I will look into those posts and will definitely play around with modding the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Henson
United States
Albuquerque
New Mexico
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
I just got my copy and haven't yet had the chance to play it, but Sphere's review/playthrough gave me the distinct impression that the human's must hurry in this game. Time is not their ally. Push, push, push to win as fast as possible because the demons gather threat turn-by-turn. They have unlimited resources which mount over time.

Perhaps bearing that in mind will help you play the humans more effectively.

I agree with this completely.

When I am introducing new players to the game, I give them some variation on the following to prepare them for playing as humans: "You will start the game as strong as you're ever going to get, and the demons are going to play a game of attrition against you. The more damage you take, the less flexible you're going to become. Get your goal in mind and try to move towards it as much as you can every turn."

Interestingly enough, the people I have introduced to this game have almost universally claimed that whichever side they played first was underpowered. Unfortunately, when we swapped and they lost again, they usually never wanted to play again. soblue

If I had to put it simply, I think that the mechanics of the game make both sides feel underpowered if they are not played to their strengths.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
The first scenario is a killing ground for humans. But on the second one, you must win the humans (with a little experience).

Expansion will add some more punch for the humans (introducing warriors that are used to fight in hell, not criminals). But the demons will also have new ways to deal death. The game will get the fight to a new level (don't worry, it will not become a large scale fight). Play time and difficulty will not change.

Regards,

CROC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John D
United States
Johnson City
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Some scenarios seem to be heavily balanced for the trogs.

After a couple of plays you start to see situations that can heavily tip the odds in human's favor. Or at least a bit.

The game is refreshing in terms of balance between the good guys and the hoard. Reason I had to stop playing then sell space hulk. Each scenario was basically the same and human characters worked all the same. Same strategy.

This game offers a wider range of outcomes and playability. After each game their are a dozen different ways I could have played differently or better. I don't get that with space hulk.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Toolian wrote:

That reminds me - I think I wrote up, but forgot to submit, a small session report for Who Dares, Wins, in which I lost two games as the trogs in ridiculously short order.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John McKendrick
United Kingdom
Glasgow
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Toolian wrote:

That reminds me - I think I wrote up, but forgot to submit, a small session report for Who Dares, Wins, in which I lost two games as the trogs in ridiculously short order.

Please post Sphere? Pretty please??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
CROC
France
Guyancourt
Yvelines
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmb
Sphere wrote:
Toolian wrote:

Ye, this scenario is kinda broken. In the french reprint, the setup will be slightly changed. I will publish it here when available.

Regards,

CROC
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
JohnMcKendrick wrote:
Please post Sphere? Pretty please??

I've submitted it - if anybody enjoys it, thank John!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Hedgren
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
biohazard wrote:
Sphere wrote:

...Who Dares, Wins...

Ye, this scenario is kinda broken. In the french reprint, the setup will be slightly changed. I will publish it here when available.

Regards,

CROC

Hey CROC,

Did this update ever happen or get uploaded anywhere?
Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.