Subject: Park scoring question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Merlino
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
There are a couple of corner cases in which you can perform an action that can earn you prestige, but actually only scores you zero prestige (ex: choosing the Beggar King when your plague counter is at 9). My gaming group's question is, do you still get the Park bonus even if your action would NORMALLY earn you no prestige?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Destroyer of Islands
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
"Each time you score VPs, get 1 extra VP for every 2 cubes in the park." I would say if you score 0 VPs, you aren't scoring any and so would not get any from the park.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Merlino
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
queenc wrote:
"Each time you score VPs, get 1 extra VP for every 2 cubes in the park." I would say if you score 0 VPs, you aren't scoring any and so would not get any from the park.

You might have a different rulebook than I do? My rules say:

"For each two influence markers in the park, a player earns one additional prestige point every time he does something in the game to earn prestige points."

...and...

"For each 2 influence markers in the park, the player always earns one bonus prestige point."

The first one could be interpreted as simply performing an action that could earn prestige points. The second one refers to "bonus" prestige points, which doesn't necessarily imply that you had to earn any before the bonus.

And there's nothing about "each time you score VPs".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
'Bernard Wingrave'
United States
Wyoming
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
For each two influence markers in the park, a player earns one additional prestige point every time he does something in the game to earn prestige points

This quote is from the main (left) column of the rulebook.

Quote:
For each 2 influence markers in the park, the player always earns one bonus prestige point

This quote is from the summary in the right margin. The margin summaries don't have all the details. So it's good to look at the rules on left to get the whole story.

Quote:
Example: Scott places a second influence marker in his park. He moves his rat marker back one space on his plague track, and that is all. He earns no bonus prestige points as he earned no prestige points for this action.

This last quote is the first example after the rules about the park. The emphasis is mine.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duff
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bwingrave wrote:
Quote:
Example: Scott places a second influence marker in his park. He moves his rat marker back one space on his plague track, and that is all. He earns no bonus prestige points as he earned no prestige points for this action.

This last quote is the first example after the rules about the park. The emphasis is mine.

The problem is that "removing a rat from the plague track" isn't ever a prestige scoring action. So it's not really applicable as a proof in this case.

This is the age old problem of "is 0 a quantity". In game X, is $0 a bid, does receiving 0 VP's count as getting VP's, etc.

Personally, I lean to the 0 side as not qualifying in all games. I didn't receive money if you paid me $0. You didn't feed me by giving me 0 food. I don't get a bonus for burning 0 wood for 0 points...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Merlino
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Thanks to everybody who replied. Although all of your interpretations come from different angles, you all reach the same conclusion. Good enough for me!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Laurence Parsons
United Kingdom
Charfield
flag msg tools
Old enough to know what's right
badge
Young enough not to choose it
mbmbmbmbmb
Oddly enough, I have completely the opposite view!
If you take an action that would earn you VPs, then you also get the bonus VPs even if the number of VPs actually earned is zero. That's how my group play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dex Quest
United Kingdom
Maryport
Cumbria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm with Laurence - an extra VP (from 2 cubes in park) whatever the outcome of a VP scoring opp...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.