Neil Carr
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm doing student teaching to 6th graders this semester and one thing that I'd like to do after school is host a gaming club that would help support the curriculum on Ancient Greece.

So what I'm looking at is a 1 hour 50 minute time frame. The kids are out of class at 2:05pm and the last bus of the day is at 4:00pm. So I have to be able to set up, explain and play all in that time.

What I'm looking for are games that would work well for 11-12 year olds, and which has a lot of thematic elements drawn from Ancient Greece in particular. The idea isn't to be doing direct teaching with the game, but rather have another medium for the themes of the curriculum to be interacted with by the students.

How many students is kind of up in the air right now.

There are a lot of conflict games which could be pulled out, which is fine, but it'll probably only attract the boys, so finding something that girls would be drawn to would really be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Great Barford, Bedford
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
Today I am identifying as a Mushroom.
mbmbmbmbmb
Peloponnes any use?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Smiles
United States
Dedham
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
admin
The ratio of people to cake is too big.
badge
Excuse me, I believe you have my stapler...
mbmbmbmbmb
Some thoughts off the top of my head:

Attika
Thebes
Age of Mythology: The Boardgame
Alea Iacta Est

if you have the space to leave things set up:
Advanced Civilization or Civilization played over many days.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Iliad (multiplayer)
Roll Through the Ages: The Bronze Age (multiplayer)
Vinci (multiplayer)
Commands & Colors: Ancients Expansion Pack #1 – Greece & Eastern Kingdoms (2 player)
Hector and Achilles (2 player)
Hera and Zeus (2 player)
Hellas (2 player)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rick Weckermann
Canada
Powell River
British Coumbia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
New game out by Columbia Games Julius Caesar might fit the bill here. Game takes longer than two hours at first due to figuring out locations on the map (which fits in with what you are trying to do) other than that it plays in less than 2 hours and much less when one side gives up. The complexity level fits right in with this age group, and the fog of war aspect of the game is second to none. I highly recommend this game, there is something about block games kids really like has been my experiance.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a link of all games with Ancient themes:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/search/boardgame/page/1?advsear...[designerid]=&include[publisherid]=&range[yearpublished][min]=&range[yearpublished][max]=&range[minage][max]=&range[numvoters][min]=&range[numweights][min]=&range[minplayers][max]=&range[maxplayers][min]=&range[playingtime][max]=&floatrange[avgrating][min]=&floatrange[avgrating][max]=&floatrange[avgweight][min]=&floatrange[avgweight][max]=&searchuser=ralpher&playerrangetype=normal&propertyids[0]=1050&B1=Submit

Very few of them are Ancient Greece, and most of those are about war. None seem to be about Greek democracy. You may want to create your own game, a diplomacy game with Persia, and the Greek City States.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.