Navigator
Caravan
Envoy
Wharf
Apprentice
Transmute
University
Golem

My opponents all grabbed a Potion early and went for the extremely powerful University/Golem/anything combo, where the anything was Caravan and Wharf with the occasional Envoy for preposterous draws- I kept putting off a Potion buy for one more shuffle until it was no longer, so wound up with a light-action deck using Navigator for early speed and Wharf for power. It got me Gold a lot faster than the other players, even when they started Transmuting Estates, but I couldn't go fast enough to end the game before they got their engines running. So everyone else was having five-minute turns with intricate Envoy decisions the rest of the table had to discuss (When someone turns up a University, a Wharf, and a Silver with one Action left, there are a ton of variables to consider), and I was going "Wharf goes off, nine coins, Province, next." At one point one of them even started their turn drawing nine cards from Durations on the table.

But the anecdote that made this worth writing up came up with a hand in the midgame where I drew four Victory cards and a Silver. Lighthouse is okay but not really worth it without Attacks in play, so I figured I'd pick up a Pearl Diver because it can't really be worse than nothing, right? So later on, with two Provinces left, I start with 7 Coins in hand and a Wharf, which I figure will be an easy Province. Play the Wharf, drawing another Wharf (ick) and... Pearl Diver. Thus, I did my best "defeated mastermind" cry of "PEARL DIVERRRRRRR..." and grabbed the Duchy.

That Province wouldn't have been enough to salvage that game, but Pearl Diver managed to live up to my expectations as worse than nothing- the game ended before I could draw it in my next shuffle.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.