Defenders of the Realm» Forums » Variants

Subject: Quests rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
shayne winstone
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I am wondering if there is a way to make the quests a bit more meaningful . I love the game its just the quest seem to be bit flat is all I am trying to think of something ,any ideas would be appercaited.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm wondering what you mean by "meaningful?" Are you playing each reward immediately, or saving them for later in the game when they can probably be more useful?

Nearly every fulfilled quest carries with it a potentially game-saving reward, even if it is as seemingly innocuous as preventing the placement of minions in one location during a Darkness Spreads. And several of them are VERY powerful. Next time you find a game in jeopardy, take a gander through the remaining cards in the Quest deck and see how many you would gladly use if you only had them in hand.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shayne winstone
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Thanks Frank for the reply .I 100% agree with you and thats not what I am talking about. I would be nice to see a little more biuld up for the quest or deepth if you wish . It just for such a Thematic game the quest seem a bit bland . So I am trying to think of something and it may be a very simple variant .I just dont know ? So far some of the Variants are great particularly the last 2 Defenders of the Realm - Forging of Heroes Variant and Defenders of the Realm - Winds of War Variant my many thanks to Richard for these. Not to demean the other variants either all of the support for the game is great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank M.
United States
upstate New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Would it be more fun if there were a paragraph or two describing a scenario/story associated with the quest, giving it a more meaningful context -- maybe like in "Tales of the Arabian Nights?" Maybe someone on BGG with the talent and imagination would like to come up with some good ones.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A variant I am working on that may address some of your desire for "deeper" quests are my Team Quests Variant. The idea behind these quests will be that a Team Quest be activated at the start of the game and all players can work to complete it since there are many activities and phases to each quests. Depending on the type of Quest, it would either reward the players collectively (such as with the Quest of the Shattered Sword) or trigger a negative effect in the game if not completed in time (as with the Quest of the Catapults if Fire). I have developed 4 Group Quests so far and have outlined 4 more, but I have yet to play test them. The future of these Team Quests will rely on the play test results and player interest - time will tell. In the meantime you might give some thought to Team Quest ideas you might create for your games.

Thanks - Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
shayne winstone
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
Richard I will say out of all the co-op games I have played this one really hits the spot. I had to sleep on this one though.One idea I woke up with was ,why not have Darklord emissaries also or in play or lets say there is a possibilty of the say eleves being influence to fight or support the darklord or say if you recycled the quests after failing them giving you another chance after so many say 3 fails they decide to become minions instead so instead of destroying minions they add . Thats sort of thing for the quests. I do like the idea that the Generals and plus one to the minions in thier area now considering them as elite troops . But I do feel the possibility of a bad out come on the quests is one of many good ideas in the post above. But I am also thinking if you played it solo as well .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Launius
United States
Johns Creek
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree that bad outcome on quests are interesting and will consider adding some in the future. Thanks for your thoughts - interesting.

Richard

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Larry Pogany
Canada
Toronto
flag msg tools
mbmb
The first game I played was a four player game, and most of the quests we did had little reward (mostly scouting quests), or were too difficult to accomplish with all the chaos on the board. Of note, was that our Sorceress got lousy Quest after Quest, and the player just stopped bothering with them. I don't feel this is a flaw in the game, though it is an aspect of luck.

It is noteworthy that in the Dragons Expansion, and some variants, they will often have a use for completed Quest Cards. So long as you completed the Quest, they can be used as ammunition to accomplish certain feats that prevent game ending conditions, or other advantages.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.