o Adult – Easy

Theme & Narrative:
o None

Endorsements:
o Gamer Geek rejected!
o Parent Geek rejected!
o Child Geek approved!

Overview

Hungry Hungry Hippos is a pretty straight forward game. Each player takes control of one of possible four hippos that reach out to the center of the game board and capture small marbles. The marbles are presumably “swallowed” and deposited into a small space beside each hippo. Note the location is “beside” the hippo, not “behind” the hippo.

Game play requires almost no of strategy and tactics, but timing can be an issue as the marbles roll around the board a great deal. If a player is fast enough and watches the marbles carefully, they can maximize the number of marbles captured. A higher developed hand/eye coordination and dexterity will not always win the game, however. Another approach to the game is to simply make your hippo reach out and capture the marbles as fast as humanly possible. Using this method, accuracy is almost reduced to zero, but the sheer number of times the hippo reaches out to capture the marbles greatly increases the odds of a marble being “swallowed”. If this method is used, the game length is greatly reduced, as is most adult’s patience.

Once the board is cleared, each player counts the number of marbles captured. The player with the highest marble count wins the game.

Rinse and repeat ad nauseum.

Final Word

This game is easily one of my least favorites but continues to be a big hit with my boys. I don’t care for it because it doesn’t have much in the way of redeeming value . What lessons can we learn from overly gluttonous herd of aquatic African herbivorous mammals? None, I argue, other than the fact that such behavior will most likely lead to health problems later in life and a general reduction in the hippo’s self-esteem.

But this is an argument coming from an adult who is playing a game that only has kids in mind. This is not a bad thing, to be certain, but it can be a real annoyance for the adult to play the game over and over again with kids. On the bright side, a single game will only take about 30 or less second. On the other hand, expect to play a lot of games in rapid succession.

As mentioned above, the game does require counting, hand/eye coordination, and dexterity, but I think the child (and adult) are better served by going outside and kicking or throwing a ball.

My argument is null and void for as long as my boys love the game. I can’t blame them, as I loved the game as a child, too. It’s easy to have a lot of fun very quickly in the game, but the magic wears off pretty fast. It is for this reason I highly recommend the game be used as an “opener” for your game activities. It’s fast to setup, play (a lot of), and wets the appetite for a more challenging experience.

Note also the age range. I suggest 2, at the earliest. The game box says differently, but you simply don’t need much in the way of skill or experience to play the game. This is another shinning point in an otherwise pretty dull offering. It’s a very easy game to play.

As long as the boys like it, I’ll have the game around, but expect to see the game in the very first garage sale when the opportunity presents itself.

Sorry, hippos.

Respectfully submitted by the Father Geek
fathergeek.com
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Hughes
Australia
Camden
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brilliant review more detailed than some I have seen for far more complex games and just the right level of dry humour (I hope!)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adrian Mckinnon
Mexico
Naucalpan
Estado de Mexico
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good game for druggie geeks who don't have enough ees to go around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Captain Spaulding
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not sure what even possessed me to read a review about Hungry Hungry Hippos, but I'm glad I did - what an awesome review! Funny!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Mr_Bickman wrote:
Not sure what even possessed me to read a review about Hungry Hungry Hippos, but I'm glad I did - what an awesome review! Funny!

Heh, I feel exactly the same. Even though I do know why I read it, my son is now 5 months old and soon(TM) entering gaming age!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Hersey
United States
Peoria
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I believe this to be a good overview of Hungry Hungry Hippos, you didn't get into the subtle depth of the game nor the different player roles you can choose.

The stratagies are numerous. Just a few of them are: do you hit the rear-end lever with your palm or your fingers? How many fingers do you use? Or maybe you even go for the patented fist smash technique that is now banned in 5 countries.

Then there is the variable player roles.

Saboteur -- The Saboteur has many different techniques at his disposal such as the hand in the face technique, the hard pressed rear-end lever which causes your opponets hippo to keep his mouth open like a child at the dentist. And then there is the ever power full tabel flip which is sure to cause a huge distraction and permit you to escape

Guiltest -- The guiltest is a favorite role among children and uses such techniques as: Whining after each loss so as to lessen your oppents drive to win. This is like cryptonite for dads and could cause them to question the very core of their fatherhood . . .Not a whole lot more with this role, though the master is able to ever so subtley shift their technique to apply maximum damage on their opponets

The cheeter -- The cheeter is one of the funnest roles in the game. The cheeter uses techniques such as the: shoulder tap; the "look over there," or even the Hidden Marbles in my pocket technique. The most advanced players can even use the cheeter role by mis-counting their marbles. "Um I have 30 marbles, thats way more than your 10".

So as you can see. This game was not given true justice in this review, as it has a tremendous amount of depth that the average eye misses.

I like this game so much I traded my copy of Decent for a new-in-shrink copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos. A fine trade indeed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Jonathan68 wrote:
I like this game so much I traded my copy of Decent for a new-in-shrink copy of Hungry Hungry Hippos. I fine trade indeed.

Without a doubt, that trade will go down in the history books as the most epic of epics.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fitz Grimm
msg tools
I must agree with Jon. There is a lot more to HHH then people think
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cyrus Kirby
United States
Farmington
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
fitzgrimm wrote:
There is a lot more to HHH then people think

No.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.