Popular Tags: [View All]
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a huge Knizia fan. T&E, Through the Desert, and Samurai have recently rocketed to the apex of my top-10... But how is my gaming group going to react if I break out a game that is essentially the same as TTD, but with dice? (rhetorical question).

I really want to pick up a copy of this, but I still haven't played a few of his classics like Amun-Re or Taj Majal. Should I pull the trigger on this one, or put it on the back burner in favor of his more well-received titles?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Blum
United States
Wilmington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
It's not that much like Through the Desert. There are slight resemblances, but it is certainly not "essentially the same."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Dan. I hope my gaming group sees things similarly when I inevitably get this. I'm still wondering if I should get picking up his other "meatier" classics before this one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know anything about Genesis, but Amun-Re is great. It is one of those games that really wants a specific number of players though. And that number is 5, which can be hard for some gaming groups to manage consistently. Not to mention Ra!

Of course, these games aren't as abstract as the ones you like. They are very game mechanic-driven, but they don't have the feel of an abstract the way his tile-laying games tend to.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Stone
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
Stone is the name and Art is my game!
badge
What number are we thinking of? 69!
mbmbmbmbmb
You must get the genesis, Knizia is calling you, you must obey!
at least one person in your group will love it, Rob will love it too. that makes three, the game, the game, to mordor we'll take you...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
stoneart69 wrote:
the game, the game, to mordor we'll take you...

Wait, are you trying to convince me to buy it, or to throw it in the mouth of a volcano?

Rob might like it, Roy will play anything. You'd probably like it, but you haven't even played pastel camels yet!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug Adams
Australia
Oakleigh
Victoria
flag msg tools
badge
A fan of new Knizia games
mbmbmbmbmb
tofarley wrote:
I'm a huge Knizia fan. T&E, Through the Desert, and Samurai have recently rocketed to the apex of my top-10... But how is my gaming group going to react if I break out a game that is essentially the same as TTD, but with dice? (rhetorical question).

I really want to pick up a copy of this, but I still haven't played a few of his classics like Amun-Re or Taj Majal. Should I pull the trigger on this one, or put it on the back burner in favor of his more well-received titles?

Pick up a copy - it's more like Acquire with dice, rather than Sausage.

And fast track Taj Mahal to the table ... that's a Knizia masterpiece.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1603-1714
United States
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
Now I can add text to my avatar? Sweet! How do I do it?
mbmbmbmbmb
I own this one and really like it but it is much lighter than Tigris, Amun-Re, or Taj Mahal. I'd say get it, but I do have all those other games as well, so I'd recommend those. Taj Mahal is excellent, a really incredible game. Genesis is easy and relatively quick and there is a bit of luck involved due to the dice, but there is still quite a bit of strategy. It also plays well with two if you're concerned about that, which neither Amun-Re or Taj Mahal do.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dougadamsau wrote:
Pick up a copy - it's more like Acquire with dice, rather than Sausage.

This is either serendipity, or you've taken a second to check out my other recent "contributions" to the geek -- because I've recently played Acquire for the first time, and I fell absolutely head over heels in love with the game. Your likening this game to Acquire has made Genesis a must-have.

Thanks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tim
United States
San Antonio
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
cagriggs wrote:
I own this one and really like it but it is much lighter than Tigris, Amun-Re, or Taj Mahal. I'd say get it, but I do have all those other games as well, so I'd recommend those. Taj Mahal is excellent, a really incredible game. Genesis is easy and relatively quick and there is a bit of luck involved due to the dice, but there is still quite a bit of strategy. It also plays well with two if you're concerned about that, which neither Amun-Re or Taj Mahal do.

The two-player aspect is good to know, as I do manage to get my wife to play games with me (our mutual love of Battle Line is what launched my Knizia obsession into full swing. Battle Line single-handedly took me from Knizia-hater to true believer, literally over night.)

Taj Mahal is getting a lot of love here. I had read Bruno Faidutti's comments about Ivanhoe (which I own) and he said that Ivanhoe was all the good parts of Taj Mahal ripped out and distilled -- so I wasn't really sure if it was a must have.

I'll definitely have to give it a shot.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.