Popular Tags: [View All]
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
OK… I do mostly Adventure or AT style games, and I have a pretty good feel for those.

We have been playing Ticket to Ride (USA w/1910 and Europe w/1912) on a friend’s copy lately and had been considering adding one of these to our collection.

However, we're actually leaning against that now. We do enjoy the game, but have played a lot of it lately and are in danger of burnout. On top of that, if we ever do really want to play, we have easy access to copies belonging to friends.

So what I’m looking for for recommendations is something with a similar depth and complexity, on the lighter side of Euro-style (which is roughly where I see TTR, though I’m not an expert, by any means).

Some specific ones I have seen come up but don’t know much about include Lost Cities and Through the Desert. Power Grid might work, too. I’ve played that once, and I like it, but I’m not sure if my wife will or not. That one’s easy, though, because we should be able to play on a friend’s copy to check it out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Lexington
Kentucky
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan with Cities and Knights?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Depending on how many players you're looking for I'd suggest Blue Moon City; it only goes up to 4 though so if you're looking for more it won't cut it. Still, it's a very nice, light euro with a similar complexity level to TTR. One of my favourite 'gateway' games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
Archaeology: The Card Game - set collection, card game
Stone Age - light worker placement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt H
United States
Pekin
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go with Carcassonne. It was our next step after TTR. Great game, after a few months I bought the big box and sold my base game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Brant
Canada
Stittsville
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Colosseum and/or Cleopatra and the Society of Architects also by Days of Wonder might go over well. I'd put them on the same level as TTR.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lucas Dramowicz
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thurn and Taxis?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Walsh
United States
Columbia
Maryland
flag msg tools
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
badge
I buy science fiction/fantasy book collections in MD/DC/VA. GeekMail me.
mbmbmbmbmb
Oltre Mare

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Kudzma
United States
Millsboro
Delaware
flag msg tools
designer
People are...
badge
SPOCKED!!
mbmbmbmbmb
GamerAtom wrote:
Colosseum and/or Cleopatra and the Society of Architects also by Days of Wonder might go over well. I'd put them on the same level as TTR.

More Cleo than Colosseum IMHO.

+1 for Stone Age.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would say Finca as my first choice. You May also want to take a look at Thebes. Dominion and Zooloretto also come to mind as good picks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, good suggestions so far!

I’ll look into some of these – will comment on a few:

I own the base game of Settlers (but none of the expansions).

Have played Carcassone, but it was a long while ago. Worth a look.

Have played Thurn and Taxis – we did enjoy it but I don’t think it’s one we need to own.

Neither of us really care for Dominion. I’ll join in if other people request it, but it’s not something I’ll actively request and my wife really dislikes it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you haven't played Carcassonne, that's the way I would go.

You mentioned Through the Desert. I would consider it a step UP from Ticket to Ride in terms of strategy and complexity. Having said that, it is not too difficult a game, and is a lot of fun. TTR players will

Hope this helps...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Shaw
United States
Swoyersville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Also wanted mention Alhambra
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
Thanks, good suggestions so far!

I’ll look into some of these – will comment on a few:

I own the base game of Settlers (but none of the expansions).

Have played Carcassone, but it was a long while ago. Worth a look.

Have played Thurn and Taxis – we did enjoy it but I don’t think it’s one we need to own.

Neither of us really care for Dominion. I’ll join in if other people request it, but it’s not something I’ll actively request and my wife really dislikes it.

Based on your feedback here - I'm giving a +1 to both Finca, Thebes and Stone Age.

Finca is light, relaxing, colorful, quick and tactical. Plays great with 2, 3 and 4. It's more relaxing with 2, but there are variants that can add tension by limiting the number of fruit pieces in the game.

Thebes is also light and has alot of theme. There is a good amount of luck in the game, but it's still tactical and fun.

Stone Age has great components. Plays great with 2, 3 and 4. Lots of fun. I'd say it's light to light-medium.

I'll add one more to the list: Metropolys This is very unique in that it's a tactical bidding game with a spatial element to it. Light enough to be a next step gateway (after TtR). Plays super quick. Plays well with 2, 3 or 4. Very good game.

I'd say you can't go wrong with either of these unless a high degree of luck annoys you in which you may want to try Thebes before you buy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Carcassonne is definitely an awesome one, as mentioned above. Be careful, if you get addicted, you may end up buying every expansion there is like I have!

I also have two other recommendations that may help fit with your love of adventure/AT style games.

Kingsburg is a light worker placement type game, where you are building up a city for the king on the edge of his kingdom. But your "workers" are determined by rolling dice, and the numbers on the dice can be used separately or together to place on the king's advisors. The advisors you selected then give you the goods or soldiers that they are worth. Goods help you build more buildings, which give you benefits and victory points, but you also need soldiers, or buildings with battle bonuses to defend against monsters every so often. You can download a Java version of the game to your computer and try it out to see if it would be good for you.

Cyclades is another blend of Euro and AT style gaming. You represent one of the 5 major cities of Greece and are trying to build 2 metropolis's on the islands of the Cyclades. In order to build one, you either need 4 philosophers, 1 each of the 4 types of buildings, or conquer an someone else's island that has one already. Before you get to take any actions however, you must first outbid the others for the god that will let you take the actions you want that turn. The amount of money you get each turn depend on how many islands/trade routes are under your control, and the different gods will determine whether you move troops, move fleets, which type of building you can build, etc. Combat is resolved by troops and involves dice, and you can also pay for the help of mythological creatures that all have different powers.
So the game involves bidding and money management, as well as troop/fleet management and combat.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Duane Bruun
United States
Normal
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Exploring Euros after TTR (my experience):

I started with Carcassonne and my wife and I greatly enjoy it. The different expansions change the play style of the game without convoluting the actual rules.

Later I picked up Zooloretto and my kids enjoy it as well as my wife and I. The game play and strategy differs greatly depening on number of players so it has excellent replay value IMHO. Picking up the first expansion pack is also advised.

Next we explored Stone Age and it's likely my wife's favorite game right now. It scales well depending on number of players and is our "go to" game when we want a pleasent, relaxing 45 minute game.

Good luck!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian MacDonald
United States
Downingtown
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Of the games mentioned so far, I'd say that Thurn and Taxis is the most TTR-like, in terms of mechanics and general play flow. You'll be able to pick it up quite easily.

I'd say that Colosseum, Thebes, and Stone Age might all be slightly more complex than you're looking for -- although I hasten to say that they're all great games, and I enjoy all of them. If you're still easing into playing Euros, Carcassonne is probably the way to go. Yes, it's the "obvious choice," but there's a reason for that. Plus, it's inexpensive, in the event you don't like it. And in the event you do like it, there are tons of expansions, also inexpensive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
remus wrote:
Stone Age has great components. Plays great with 2, 3 and 4. Lots of fun. I'd say it's light to light-medium.

I'm looking through the entries to most of these suggestions and this is one of the ones that's catching my eye so far.

It looks and sounds a bit like Agricola - which I have played but do not own (that's another one I enjoyed but probably won't buy as several of my friends already own it). Can you tell me how it may be similar and different?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Wurtsboro
NY
flag msg tools
admin
designer
badge
We always have time for the things we put first.
mbmbmbmbmb
In Stone Age, you get resources dependent on your dice roll, but you can allocate more dice to help you get more stuff. Wood, for example, is dice roll divided by 3. If I my dice total 3 (whether on 1 die = 3 or 3 dice at 1 each), I get 1 wood. If my dice total 6, I get 2 wood, and so on.

In Agricola, you get as many wood as are on the space. It increases each Round until someone takes them, so you may get 3, 6, 9, etc.

In Agricola, you start out with 2 people, and you can have kids, but there are rules about having room in your house. In Stone Age, you get more people to start, and space is not a concern. In both, you have to feed your people.

In Agricola, you're building a more realistic model of a farm. In Stone Age, you pay resources to get cards and hut tokens, which you put on your player mat, but it doesn't form the image of a farm the way Agricola does.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chearns
Canada
Montréal
Québec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
So what I’m looking for for recommendations is something with a similar depth and complexity, on the lighter side of Euro-style (which is roughly where I see TTR, though I’m not an expert, by any means).

I suggest looking through the board game rankings for family games

http://boardgamegeek.com/familygames/browse/boardgame

You'll find TTR style games in that list. You'll note, as well, that Power Grid is not on that list (quite rightfully).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lost Cities: The Board Game is the game you want. I promise you won't be disappointed, especially if you like TTR. It's a light game that's mainly set collection. You play cards to move researchers down a track (theme is pretty weak, I suppose). First steps on the track are negative points, so there is some tension to get your guy down the road quickly. There are a few other ways to score (or lose) points, like artifacts you pick up along the path. I didn't like the card game, but think the board game is a perfect family game. You can literally teach the game in under two minutes and it plays in under an hour. Yet there are enough decisions to keep it interesting. Great game...

Hab & Gut is another great, light game that teaches and plays quickly. Someone mentioned Metropolys which is in my top 10 and fits all your criteria.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Wulf
United States
Springfield
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If playing mostly 2 player, I would throw another vote toward Carcassonne

If playing most with +2 players, I’d go with Alhambra...

Both are great scalable games, but really shine if you hit their sweet spot imo…

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Pozun
United States
Phoenixville
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Settlers of Catan is the obvious recommendation, but it sounds like you already have it.

I agree with Carcassone.

I also suggest Endeavor, Acquire, and Ra. All games my wife will play which means they are lighter

Power Grid is too heavy, Lost Cities is too lame.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
remus wrote:

I'm looking through the entries to most of these suggestions and this is one of the ones that's catching my eye so far.

It looks and sounds a bit like Agricola - which I have played but do not own (that's another one I enjoyed but probably won't buy as several of my friends already own it). Can you tell me how it may be similar and different?

While Indigo gave some good examples of gameplay differences, I will add this one "overall" difference: Agricola is heavier. Agricola can give even seasoned gamers a bit of a brain burn headache at times. Once you've played through Stone Age once or twice and you've learned the cards a bit, it becomes more of a fun race where the decisions are there, but not as excruciating as they can get during certain turns in Agricola. There are interesting choices in Stone Age, but the depth of calculations to make those decisions are much shallower than Agricola. With the dice rolls, Stone Age also provides a push-your-luck element. Do I spread the workers thin and hope to get the resources I need or do I pile everyone in the forest for resources this turn and then try to spend the resources on cards next turn?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kendahl Johnson
United States
Syracuse
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
spozun wrote:
Settlers of Catan is the obvious recommendation, but it sounds like you already have it.

I agree with Carcassone.

I also suggest Endeavor, Acquire, and Ra. All games my wife will play which means they are lighter

Power Grid is too heavy, Lost Cities is too lame.

I've played all these. I think Carc is lame but a lot of people like it and it might work for you. Endeavor is tricky...I don't think it's necessarily a light game (comparing it to TTR). My wife thinks Acquire is one of the most boring games she's played. It's a tense game. Ra I would agree is fun and light. I still vote for Lost Cities BG. It reminded me a little of TTR...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.