Popular Tags: [View All]
Chuck Uherske
United States
Rockville
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
An unusually full group from the Five Guys met this morning at 8 a.m., at Cafe Mayorga in Rockville, Maryland. I'm growing particularly fond of having game days there. The cafe is a cozy, welcoming place, and I shudder at the thought of it disappearing from my neighborhood. Hence, any time I can toss business their way, I try to do it.

Ed was a bit late moving this morning, so he missed out on the first game. This sent the first pick to Kelly. Kelly surprised me by picking a trivia game -- hadn't realized she liked them! I was overjoyed, because I love Stage II.

After explaining the rules, I began as moderator. The first set proved unexpectedly tough. The contestants needed all six clues: Fern's pig (Wilbur), the word "brothers," Westmoreland's rank (general), the Dallas bowl game (cotton), chili (pepper), and Beaufort's measured quantity (wind). Rick finally figured out that the uniting theme was "Mills."

Ben quickly got the next theme. The second round of Art Fleming's show (Double Jeopardy), Raskolnikov's novel (Crime and Punishment), and phonetic pathologist (speech) enabled Ben to guess the theme as the Bill of Rights.

My supreme humiliation occurred in round 3, when the clues were: Smith, Clark, Williams, Howard, Dreyfuss, and Suzanne Somers. Answer: American Graffiti! It's only just about my favorite movie ever, one from which I've memorized practically every line. But the theme went unguessed.

This enabled Kelly to win a double pot: The clues of green, white, black and bell induced her to correctly guess "peppers" and she took the early lead.

The clues of Jensen, Scott and Bose enabled Ron to guess "Speakers" for the next round, although there was some confusion as to whether he'd closely enough guessed, but the consensus was that he had.

Five rounds and I'd yet to win a pot! Normally I'm good at the game. My saving grace proved to be the number of individual trivia questions I'd properly answered.

I finally came through in the sixth round -- the clues being Kennedy, Hamilton, Melanie, Ashley, and then finally -- O'Hara -- the light went on and I beat Rick to guessing Gone with the Wind by a nanosecond.

Ed then arrived so we decided to cut the game short and finish it after three cards (nine rounds.)

The group needed almost the entire group of clues -- John Stuart Mill, Heifetz, June Havoc, Joel Kupperman and Mozart -- before Ben got "child prodigies."

Round 8: Dry, Ham, and Jaw -- were the three clues before Kelly quickly got "bones" and we thought she had the game won.

But in the last round, after the clues "rubber" and "Jonestown, Guyana," I correctly guessed "South America." With only two pots won, I didn't think I had much of a chance, but I must have won so many of the individual trivia questions that I overcame my poor guessing of themes.

Terrific game, too bad we had to cut it short.

Chuck 46
Kelly 43
Ben 41
Rick 31
Ron 25

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.