Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Márton Borlay
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After getting my hand on the core set a week ago, we'll finally have our first session this Sunday. I've been reading a lot of reviews that complained about the length of the first plays, so I want to be as prepared as possible. As I've never played any CCG whatsoever, I'm quite confused by some of the cards. Generally I feel that the rulebook should have gone more deeply into specifics.

First of all, nowhere in the rules is it stated that I can play an attachment to an enemy character. I just assumed that you can only play cards for yourself, but after seeing ones like Poisoned Wine and Stinking Drunk, I'm guessing you are actually allowed to play these on opponents' characters. And there's something else with Poisoned Wine: "Any Phase: Kneel 1 influence to move Poisoned Wine to another eligible character". If I initially played it on an enemy character, am I still the owner of this particular card? Do *I* get to use this ability, or it's up for my opponent now to toss the wine back on one of my characters? (By-the-by: I feel confused about the whole core Targaryen deck. There seem to be an awful lot of cards manipulating attachments, yet there are only 6 of this card type in the deck (not including Khal Drogo's tent), and only 4 of those are "positive" attachments, the other two are like Stinking Drunk).
The reason I'm confused about this is because the card Motley explicitly says: "Attach to an opponent's character." Stinking drunk Doesn't say so, but I cannot imagine a situation where I'd need -4 STR on one of my characters for some purpose.

Next up: Xaro Xoan Daxos: After you play Xaro Xoan Daxos from your hand, choose and return a character you control to its owner's hand. I feel like I'm missing something here, are those two not the same thing? Some clarification about ownership would have been nice in the rulebook

I admit, this problem might be an extremely basic one with a straightforward answer, since I've found no mentioning of this question in the FAQ either. Still, I don't want to play the game the wrong way.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Márton Borlay
Hungary
Budapest
Budapest
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the clarification!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Ach
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SJBenoist wrote:
Whoever "owns"\played the attachment controls it. So YOU would be the one who could move Poison Wine. Regardless of what card it is attached to, it's still yours.

Targaryen cards can be used to manipulate other players attachment cards as well.

Xaro Xoan Daxos does what you think. It is a penalty for playing him, an extra price you must pay. Note also, if you have no other characters, you'll have to pick him right back up

This isn't entirely accurate. While you do control attachments you play on opponent's characters, and you do control characters you own, "control" and "own" are not synonymous terms. The wording is very deliberate. While you "own" the card (aka it is in your deck, you bought it; this isn't a trading card game after all! ), there are some circumstances in which another player can gain control of an attachment or character (or location for that matter.) E.g. Kraznyz mo Nakloz (http://agot.dbler.com/?view=dsearch&textsearch=nakloz&Targar...). Or another example from the core set: say that Baratheon put a Highgarden Honor Guard into play under your control, so when you play Xaro you could toss that back to the Baratheon player who "owns" it.

[edited for typos]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Agent 57
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
An attachment that you had brought in your deck is one you own. Control of a card can be switched from the owner to another player through card effects, but playing an attachment on another player's card does not indicate a control of ownership unless the card specifically says otherwise.

Some attachments have play restrictions, Nights Watch Only. Unique character only. Attach to a location. Attach to an opponent's character. These can only be played on the specified cards. If there is no restriction then the card can be played as you choose, following of course the standard rules of the game.

Only the controller of a card can ever trigger it's abilities, though if it has any passive effects they are active at all times, regardless. If you placed an attachment on a card you controlled and your opponent takes control of that card, they only gain control of that card, not any attachments on it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ruvion .
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Xaro's ability is not really a penalty when you have in your disposal, cards that have abilities that are possibly beneficial to you as they come into play.
Eg: Barristan Selmy (CS), Dragon Thief, Red Warlock, Reinforcement event-turned-character (to fuel Men with no King and Destitute Horde), Benjen Stark (DotN), creature summoned by Varamyr, etc.

You may also want to recall certain cards for tactical play (avoid a reset or to resume jumping, etc)
Eg: After playing Khal Drogo (CS) normally, you may want him to resume his jumping ways. You can avoid certain kneel effects through recall. You can also get rid of harmful attachments through recall.

Summer Encampment has a repeatable ability in the same vein during summer.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Clarke
Canada
Port Coquitlam
B.C.
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
borlaym wrote:
First of all, nowhere in the rules is it stated that I can play an attachment to an enemy character.

Not true....page 5 under "Attachments": "Attachments are played underneath other cards (either yours or an opponent's) already in play and modify them with their rules text.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.