Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Every now and then, I'll have a clever idea for a board game accessory, and I had one of those ideas lately that I'd like to share with everyone.

I've been absolutely obsessing over SW lately (I recently picked up some decks, but have yet to play it). It's been haunting my thoughts for the last two weeks. I like the idea of the premium boards, but they make the game much less portable since the original tiny boxes won't hold the board. The paper mat makes the game really easy to carry around, but boy is it a pain to try to play on that wrinkly mess. What if I could find a solution that had the best of both worlds?

Well, I went down to Fabricland and bought 60cm (24 inches) of the cheapest white cloth I could find. That cost me $1.50. I found the dimensions of SW cards and rounded up to the nearest quarter inch for a bit of a buffer, and drew my own grid on the cloth using a metal L-square and a basic black ball-point pen (I'm not sure if a sharpie might bleed a little into the fabric). I left out the Draw/Magic/Discard area though since my penmanship is lousy, and those spots seem fairly superfluous anyways.

The dimensions came out to 20" by 22 1/2", and the piece of cloth is long enough that I can make a second mat. So, for a buck fifty and about an hour of work, I've got two mats that lie flat on the table, and fold up even smaller than the original paper mats into the starter set box.

A few notes:
-If you are playing on a slippery surface like wood, the cloth is very light and will tend to move around when you try to move cards. If you're playing on a table with fabric, I assume that the friction would keep it in place much better.
-The edges of the cloth are frayed, and I don't really know what to do about it to make a nice clean edge. Any ideas?
-I'm sorry I have no pictures, since I don't have a camera with me. There's nothing to see, really. Picture a white cloth with a plain black grid on it.

If anyone is feeling particularly creative, Artscow.com has pillowcases that measure 20" by 30" for $11.99. If you print on both sides, you can get two cloth mats out of the one case, with your own design. If anyone does that, I'd love to see the final product in the event that artscow eventually has a free shipping deal on pillowcases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Al Leigh
United Kingdom
Lewes
East Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
The edges of the cloth are frayed, and I don't really know what to do about it to make a nice clean edge. Any ideas?

Hem it, darling, hem it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Wilde
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Great idea, and one I've used in the past. I made a portable copy of En Garde using a strip of felt for the board. Worked great, and doesn't fray on the edges.

Seems to me that a sheet of white felt with a grid using a sharpie marker would work wonders for Summoner Wars, and won't fray on the edges...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Hoffman
United States
Vienna
Virginia
flag msg tools
Yes, shrubberies are my trade. I am a shrubber. My name is Roger the Shrubber. I arrange, design, and sell shrubberies.
badge
Oh, what sad times are these when passing ruffians can say Ni at will to old ladies. There is a pestilence upon this land; nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange & design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history
mbmbmbmbmb
I looked at that this afternoon, although using the canvas. The 20" by 30" canvas is currently on sale for $25. Unfortunately, 20 by 30 basically requires cutting off the Deck/logo/Magic/Discard part of the board, but I was OK with that.

I didn't have time to make my own design, so I looked at adapting one of those posted in the files section. I played with the design on artscow but ultimately decided against making the canvas board. I was uncertain that it would 1) look good, especially with parts cut off, 2) fold well, since it's made of canvas and foldability is the major advantage over a board, 3) hold up well since it's explicitly not waterproof, and 4) I like the premium board; it's really reasonably priced.

If anyone else makes one, I'd like to see it. I'll just pick up one of the premium boards at my FLGS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd just like to point out that Artscow is indeed having a sale on pillowcases...two for $11.99 with free shipping. The code is CASESALE and lasts until November 13th, 2010.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colby Dauch
United States
Unspecified
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a company in France make me some really cool cloth Summoner Wars boards for GenCon tournament prizes. I was considering having a few made and selling them for like $29.95 on plaidhatgames.com

Thoughts?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
That thing is rad...I'd buy one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hoffman
United States
Cortlandt Manor
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eh, I dunno, they're just sort of . . . awesome and stuff . . .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Panagiotis Zinoviadis
Greece
Thessaloniki
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Among the Stars:The Ambassadors
mbmbmbmbmb
I hate the colour m8 or more precicely the glossiness of it.

BTW DIDN'T ANYBODY NOTICE THE BOOX THERE? Am i seeing wrong or is there some new artwork on it? It is the Dwarves vs Gobbos box but i am seeing some other artwork on the top cover.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
H S
United States
mountain view
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
A cloth map would be fantastic. A big draw of this game to me is portability, that's why I haven't bothered with the current premium board - but a cloth map would solve the problem beautifully.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Owens
United States
Rochester
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi all,

Not to resurrect a relatively dead thread, but I made my own cloth board... well, to be specific, I'm in the dice tower Secret Santa, saw Summoner Wars on my target's list, went "I know what I'm getting them", and made them the cloth board.

I've had leftover Monkscloth from my Khaki Man cape forever. It's a gorgeous material and I knew it would work great because the weaving has spaced intersections similar to cross stich fabric. So I took embroidery floss in black and backstitched all of the boundaries.

This first picture is an overview Mid-Process. You'll notice the edges are rough because I had worked them out yet.

In this second picture, the process if further along. The edges are hemmed and set. (Note: If you ever use monkcloths, do a zig zag stich along every border of every piece you cut or it will fray. The edges here actually have two rows of zig zag and then two straight rows to hold the hem)

The third Picture is the finished product in overview.

And finally, a closer view to see the fabric better.

I'm hoping my Secret Santa target enjoys the upgrade/custom/handmade (all handmade except for the edging done on a sewing machine) board for SW. It came out so well, I think I have to work on another one for my set... man, it took a while to finish though. =D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wind Lane
United States
San Jose
California
flag msg tools
RPGs - Natures way of saying "You would never be able to do this in real life." NOT A BAD THING.
badge
All the world's a stage, and I feel like the janitor.
mbmbmbmbmb
That's some pretty nice work, excellent stuff!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Schwieger
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My board is a gray piece of felt with black sharpie. Took maybe 5 minutes to make and cost less than a dollar. It's no fuss and works perfectly. I can't even imagine going back to paper or using the mounted board now. I can even flip it over and use it as a sort of tablecloth for other (card)games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.