Popular Tags: [View All]
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
and now...to open a can of worms.

I was about to reply to this thread when I realized this subject may be better on it's own (and to also politely NOT threadjack someone's thoughts.)

This was something I was wanting to wait on. However, I think I'm going to bring up only what's "out there." On the bottom of my preordered letter was a small message. I'm wondering if any of you had the same thing written at the bottom of the letter. If you don't know what I'm talking about the phrase was

Cartwright is Forever

Now when I went to Gen*Con I gave my thoughts to Jason Hill (and I also mentioned it to Chris, their webguy) about Jake (and to some degree Heinrich) the only thing I got out of them was..."We can't tell you."

So yes, when you work for FFP you not only sell your soul to make awesome games, but your sworn for eternity not to tell the big mystery secret of "The Cartwright"

Notice I refer to "The Cartwright" in the singular tense.

So this is what we see from both Cartwright cards.

from Jake Cartwright - from Last Night on Earth

Quote:
Jake Cartwright, The Drifter

Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, Jake Cartwright drifted into town this morning. A stranger to all, Jake lives on the road, traveling... always on the move. With a scruffy face and well-worn clothes, he has learned over the years to make-do with what is on hand. This is not the first time Jake Cartwright has passed through Woodinvale. He brings with him memories of the past and a dread omen for the future. He is a sight Sheriff Anderson remembers from his youth, and hoped never to see again."

Now for those of you (like myself) who don't own A Touch of Evil (yet!)

Quote:
Heinrich Cartwright, The Drifter

Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, Heinrich Cartwright arrived in Shadowbrook this afternoon. Drifting from town to town, he is a stranger to all. With a scruffy beard and well-worn clothes, he has learned to be resourceful, making due with what is on hand. In his long life, Heinrich Cartwright has seen more than his share of death, and the unspeakable horrors that haunt this world. Seen them...and defeated them.

So here are my thoughts that has me wondering a few things.

1.) The two Cartwrights are similar in face, description and actor. which leaves the question, is this the same guy?

If they are, is he immortal? Is he a time traveler (be it magic, curse, dimensional portal, etc etc etc)

If they aren't - than what exactly is their connection?

Is he the harbinger of all the events that occur in the FFP world? That which signals that something bad is coming?

2.) Does Invasion from Outer Space take place during the same time period as Last Night on Earth? The manual from Last Night on Earth isn't really given a "date" per say - so the setting is generally sometime in "the present." However Invasion from Outer Space is listed as during the 1940's (its written in the flavor text.) If the events do take place simultaneously than a retcon is in order. If they don't , than it contradicts my harbinger question and leaves me wondering...where is "The Cartwright"? The only exception to this conclusion that I've come up with is - he only is a foreshadow of things Earthly

3.) With Conquest of Planet Earth being more on a Macro sized scale compared to all of current available games - is there a card somewhere that has "The Cartwright" listed anywhere? Maybe hinted around somewhere with the artwork?

Thoughts, opinions, ideas?

edit: grammar and fixed a few sentences to make things clearer
edit2: Spell checking is your friend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting point Tegre. I had always assumed that the Characters were related by lineage only, however the possibility of him being the same person hadn't crossed my mind before now.

Is he in IfOS as a charcater or a card somewhere in the decks?

You've got my grey matter cogitating now...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No, currently all the hero characters in IfOS are all Carnival Heroes - I personally don't know what kind of position a "Drifter" could have at a Carnival - except as an extra to help set things up and take them down when the Carnival sets to move. It would allow him a form of income and the ability to travel from location to location and not exactly be "remembered" by the public.

The fact that he isn't there makes me believe that the events of Invasion take place concurrent with LNoE. Or at least they're close enough that he can't be at two places at once.

Or can he...?

Personally, I feel we won't know for sure unless FFP decides to create a set of "crossover" cards for the Heroes from one set for use in a different game. With how modular the game is, the possibility is definitely there.

Than there's my whole "Sliders" theory. That all of these events are happening simultaneously in parallel dimensionsand he is the link between them all. Or at least...he's slipping (traveling?) between them somehow. The only thing that slightly debunks this is that Sheriff Anderson has seen "The Cartwright" during the last zombie invasion - leaving another question, if he is traveling through time/dimensions/whatever does he have the ability to go where he wants. Which leads to other possibilities - is he the Gorden Freeman or even Sam Bekett of the Flying Frog Universe?

edit: good grief I need a spell check
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
A Cartwright drifter character could make for a perfect carnival roustabout. Those guys are kind of drifteresque and shifty/mysterious.

I like your theory about them being the same guy, but I think it more likely that they are just related somehow. It would be cool if there was a greater mystery though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Cartwright is portrayed by Matthew Morgaine in both AToE and LNoE.

I bet the guys at FFP are having a giggle about this. We'll be speculating forever over what this means for the FF Universe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Armstrong
United States
Bedford
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If I am not mistaken, he is also the art director for the company.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
HA! Tegre, I believe FFP is really just messing with you. I re-checked my letter and it has no such phrase anywhere. You may be on to something but I think the boys at FFP are giving you a little extra in their letter to you (an awesome touch, btw and one that should show that they remember you from your GenCon interviews).

Now I'll thank you cuz you forced me to go look at my shipping box to find the letter. I also found a promo card they slipped in there. I very easily would have missed this had I not had a reason to go back. Now time to go check my L-shaped boards and make sure there is no duplicate....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kenarm wrote:
If I am not mistaken, he is also the art director for the company.

Matt is the 'Illustrator and Frog Wrangler'. He has produced the art used for the components in Conquest of Planet Earth, and designed the boards for LNoE and AToE.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicholas Daley
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IMHO, LNOE is set in today's time and not in the 1940s. I'm basing this on the weapons used (i.e. circular saw which is battery operated, chainsaw) and the clothing worn by the characters (specifically Jade along with her skateboard). And if Back to the Future II taught me anything, it's that Marty McFly invented the skateboard in 1955.

As for Jake/Heinrich himself, I think he's he same person, moving from town to town, never aging. Somehow drawn to the supernatural, like, say, Buffy.

And since aliens aren't really supernatural, he's not in IFOS. But maybe they'll make him an expansion character in whichever expansion introduces Magik items/cards.

/Or perhaps Jake is one of the three Nephites.
//Too obscure?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
/Obscure
//But very Interesting...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kevin troup
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe he is a hunter like Sam and Dean in Supernatural, but he is immortal.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Moffatt
Australia
Ipswich
Queensland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
That's always a possibility. Hiding in plain sight always works, and being an apparent member of the socially disadvantaged, he would tend to be ignored for the most part.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
George
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
You can take my game… when you pry my cold, dead fingers off the board!
Interesting Stuff!

A thought... he perhaps doesn't appear in IFOS due to the possibility of crossover games with LNOE. If played together he could appear as two different characters at once. I don't know if that's a good enough reason for me though... it still would've been fun to have a Cartwright in IFOS. :D

Edit: I'm thinking IFOS Hero Pack 1!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that the image is uploaded. Here is the image of the letter in question.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Scrat wrote:
Cartwright is portrayed by Matthew Morgaine in both AToE and LNoE.

I bet the guys at FFP are having a giggle about this. We'll be speculating forever over what this means for the FF Universe...

I even looked at the cards before posting that and it looks like a different guy to me and others, so I checked the credits to be sure and you are right. Wow....he really looks different from one game to the other.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Asher
United States
South Lake Tahoe
flag msg tools
badge
WACKY WAVING INFLATABLE ARM FLAILING TUBE MAN!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
jcb231 wrote:
Wow....he really looks different from one game to the other.

I guess it would be the aging - he's been around awhile...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Speedy Petey
Sweden
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Look closely at The Last Supper by da Vinci; he’s in there!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alky Yance
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just wanted to add Alexander Cartwright's profile (from Fortune and Glory):

Quote:

Alexander Cartwright

Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, Alexander Cartwright hoped to stay out of trouble for a while, secluded in the foothills of South America to quietly write about his adventures. But as the growing shadow of the Nazis falls across the world, and onto his very doorstep, it has become clear that he can no longer just sit by idle. Trouble, it seems, always has a way of finding him, and he has never been the kind of man to stay in one place for too long.

IFOS needs a Cartwright!!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Port Saint Lucie
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
TheLabRat wrote:

Quote:

Alexander Cartwright

Always in the wrong place at the wrong time, Alexander Cartwright hoped to stay out of trouble for a while, secluded in the foothills of South America to quietly write about his adventures. But as the growing shadow of the Nazis falls across the world, and onto his very doorstep, it has become clear that he can no longer just sit by idle. Trouble, it seems, always has a way of finding him, and he has never been the kind of man to stay in one place for too long.

...I am forever...

Quote:

Agreed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J B
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
TheLabRat wrote:

Quote:

Alexander Cartwright

A carnival roustabout Cartwirght is just too perfect to exist, I guess.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ROBERTO M
Mexico
Puerto Vallarta
Jalisco
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In LNOE Timber Peak, the new stand alone game (expansion) that can be considered LNOE part 2. There are only three survivors from the town of Woodinvale. One is Jacke Cartwright.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.