Hide
2 Posts

Lord of the Rings: The Confrontation» Forums » Variants

Subject: Confrontation Redux rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Tom Frome
msg tools
The following is a mash-up of the original game, the deluxe edition, and whole cloth invention that my friend and I use to play LotR: The Confrontation. Most of the changes were made on the basis of flavor and eliciting flavorful gameplay. I'd love to hear people's impressions, especially whether they find the two sides balanced.

-Frodo (1): Ignore Sauron's text card; if defeated, the Ring passes to Sam
-Sam (1): If attacked, Strength is equal to Sauron character's
-Merry (2): Instantly defeats the first Sauron character when attacking backwards
-Pippin (2): When attacking, can choose to instantly retreat backwards; if attacked (and if Gondor is not occupied by a Sauron character or two Fellowship characters) can retreat to Gondor and become Strength 4 for the rest of the game
-Aragorn (4): Can attack any adjacent region
-Gandalf (5): Sauron plays his card first
-Legolas (3): Reveal Legolas after cards are played to give any adjacent Fellowship character +1, Gimli +1, and +1 against the Flying Nazgûl (so Legolas has Strength 4 against the FN); all +1s stack
-Gimli (3): Instantly defeats the Orcs; reveal Gimli after cards are played to give adjacent Legolas +1
-Boromir (0): Both Boromir and the Sauron character are instantly defeated

-Flying Nazgûl (4): Can attack a single Fellowship character anywhere on the board
-Saruman (2): If Saruman reaches the Shire and at least one hobbit is dead, Sauron wins the game
-Witch King (6): Can attack sideways
-Shelob (5): After defeating a Fellowship character, must retreat to Gondor (unless Gondor is occupied by a Fellowship character or two Sauron characters); can attack sideways in the mountains
-Gollum (2): Ignore the Fellowship character's text; if attacked, can instantly retreat backwards
-Denethor (4): Sauron may choose to have no cards played
-Balrog (5): No cards are played; instantly defeats any Fellowship character using the Tunnel of Moria when on Caradhras
-Horsed Nazgûl (5): Can move forward two regions to attack
-Orcs (2): When attacking, instantly defeats the first Fellowship character

For special cards, the Fellowship gets Gandalf the White and Sauron gets Palantir and Recall to Mordor. We've found that Shadowfax tilts the balance in favor of the Fellowship, but we're considering reintroducing it to our game with the provision that it can't be used to win the game, i.e. on the Fellowship's last turn to get the ring-bearer into Mordor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Frome
msg tools
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.