Popular Tags: [View All]
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Hello folks,

WizKid’s Pirates of the Spanish Main reminded me greatly of the classic Buccaneer board game, one of my most dearly loved games. In it a single Treasure Island is placed centrally and players race to collect (and safely store) the most treasure, whilst fending off other players, travelling to other ports to trade and pinch crew and treasure, and suffering at the fickle hand of Fate.

After playing the basic rules of Pirates, I immediately wanted to blend Buccaneer in with it. I wrote these house rules to play with friends, and we haven't actually played anything but these rules for about 18 months now. They have therefore been play-tested and tweaked a fair bit as we went along - the event deck has been through several permutations for example - but all suggestions for improvements are gratefully accepted.

Buccaneer had several pleasing mechanics that translate very well to PotSM. The first is a central ‘Treasure Island’ location, which forces the players to squabble over a central point in the playing area. The second is the risk/reward aspect of the Treasure Island event deck, meaning that you might choose the option of just pootling around trading for treasure, or plundering it, whilst others risk the more lucrative (and dangerous) shores of Treasure Island. The third is the representation of mutinous and infighting pirate crews by use of the two different coloured crew cards, which I always thought was very elegant.

These house rules attempt to introduce all of these flavours into PotSM, whilst retaining the central charm of the WizKid’s game; primarily the beautiful components, and the simple combat system.

Download the Rules and Event Cards from my website, here (ZIP, 9.6MB):
http://www.crikeymiles.com/games/pirates/Buccaneer-House_Rul...

Enjoy!
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Richard Meyer
United States
Grand Rapids
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! Can't wait to give these a try.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Hutchinson
United Kingdom
Canterbury
flag msg tools
designer
badge

A couple of shots of these house rules in action.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.