Subject: World Domination: EMP rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
How much will you take out? It all depends on the strength of the EMP, doesn't it?

I'm not an expert, but at work we have a copper cage for testing our radios in a totally silent environment. I don't see why this wouldn't block an EMP as well. Lead shielding would probably work too but all you need is a good conductor, so copper mesh will work better and it's a lot lighter and easier to work with.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb

Faraday Cage
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Faraday_cage

Also strong solar flare activity can cause major power outages. The sun is entering an active cycle that may produce some strong solar flares in 2012.

These solar flares have the potential to disrupt satellites and power distribution grids.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
A high altitude nuclear burst could cause damage to electronic devices for many hundreds of miles. Let's just say that it would indeed cause problems.

Shielding takes many forms (no, it doesn't have to be lead -- we're not talking about that kind of shielding, actually), but the most effective is to simply have "low-pass" filtering on anything outside of the chassis of any equipment you want to protect. So, if you have a metal case with sensitive stuff inside, you need to have it adequately closed off and any power or output cabling needs to be filtered to prevent damage.

This, from work I did in the 1980s that was declassified long ago.

Side note: When the relevant information had been classified in the United States, this information was unclassified in NATO countries... so go figure.

Also, I highly advise against the World Domination thing... you would have too many competitors. I recommend sticking to the knitting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mbourgeois wrote:

Henchmen interviews are starting soon... be the first on your block to come Hench for me.

What do the uniforms looks like?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Euroncrowseye wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

Let's say you wanted to effectively knock the world for a loop right off at the start... is an EMP an effective way to go about doing it?

What little I know from reading about them is that they effectively shut down/destroy electronic equipment unless it's heavily shielded. When they say shielded... do they mean big lead sheets or just deep underground... or even having your computer wear a tinfoil hat?

How long assuming you blanketed the world effectively would it take for the world to get things back up and running. I mean I've also read that systems that were inactive during the attack would not be affected... is this correct?

What is the highest level of technology that would still run unaffected by the EMP?

Could you actually detonate just one in the atmosphere and take out a good part of the earth or would you have to detonate many any cover your bets that way.

Any suggestions for more reading on my part at a level that wouldn't leave me scratching my head and running for a dictionary to understand that which I cannot comprehend?

I'm not sure whether to applaud the ambition, answer the question or contact interpol. Maybe all three.

You have to understand that I'm trying to branch out from gaming... World Domination seemed to be a natch for such a thing. I figure they compliment each other and after all... diversity is the way to go no?

Interpol isn't interested anyways... they won't return my call on other wanna-be dictators or world rulers... I need a workgroup to bounce ideas off of and I mean it's hard when you're doing it alone.

Henchmen interviews are starting soon... be the first on your block to come Hench for me.

Is the position of Quirky Second In Command Who Will Invariably Betray You After Sleeping With The Sexy Female Hero already taken? If not, I'd like to apply....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
Helljin wrote:
Also strong solar flare activity can cause major power outages. The sun is entering an active cycle that may produce some strong solar flares in 2012.

These solar flares have the potential to disrupt satellites and power distribution grids.

The last larger than normal solar maximum caused fires on the ground, telegraph wires started on fire and the Aurora Borealis was seen as far south as New Orleans. This was mid 1800's, well before satellites and other advanced technology. An event like that one could be very interesting today, to say the least. Maximums are preceded by minimums... the minimum that are now experiencing is alarming researchers and it is expected that the next maximum could be the biggest in 100 years.

http://science.nasa.gov/science-news/science-at-nasa/2009/01...

http://www.redorbit.com/news/science/1924104/whats_happening...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Barrett
United States
Lake Forest Park
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Helljin wrote:
mbourgeois wrote:

What do the uniforms looks like?

3 piece suit (off the rack about a half size too small for the street level thugs and for those in positions of responsibilities... tailored with hand-painted silk ties done by a very talented little girl who is fond of purple and brown giraffes) with black trench coat. Fedora if it suits you.

Benefits of medical (full) dental (full except for metallic orthodontia) and cremation when you're ready to retire from the business.

We have a competitive pay scale and every Tuesday is all you can eat Wings Night and Karaoke.

Email your interest to Dr.VilesEvilEmporium@yahoo.ca

Ewww , I'll have to pass. You might consider going here for some of you equipment needs.

http://www.villainsource.com/gear.html
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pronoblem baalberith
United States
Pleasantville
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is it just me or do my balls itch?
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Let's say you wanted to effectively knock the world for a loop right off at the start... is an EMP an effective way to go about doing it?

Some considerations for my possible employment in your organization:

I think that I would be a great fit as you Minister of Propaganda... maybe when the organization is in full swing. Until then I could work in a technical level. I have many skills that might be useful:

If you are going the EMP route I should let you know that I built a small scale EMP device using parts from a consumer microwave oven. It killed the EPROM chip in a TI calculator at a distance of two meters. I just made one to see if it were possible and never went much further with the design as I am more into audio circuits than world domination. With some experimentation and refinements I am sure I could make it do better. This is not a "take over the world" device but it would be possible to take out a city block or an entire shopping mall / government office building. It could be shoulder mounted if we could spend some money on a high volt power supply... I could do a quick and dirty one with a series of capacitors and some OP AMP circuits but these would be single use only between hour long charging cycles.

I also have experience with telephone, electronic security / surveillance system hardware as well as the residential and industrial electrical wiring systems behind these installations. Pretty up-to-date knowledge here and I can figure any new system out if I can get access to schematics / programming details. So, I can get in an out of most buildings without an alarm going off.

Other experience:

Organic synthesis. Incapacitating drugs, truth serums, irritants, etc. For example, I have synthesized BZ (100X stronger than LSD and lasting up to 72 hours) and bee alarm pheromone (imagine spraying your enemies with BZ + alarm pheromone and then releasing a few bee colonies on them? It is hilarious). BWAHAHAHABWAHAHA!!!! BWAHAHAHABWAHAHABWAHAHAHABWAHAHA!!!!

Microbiology / molecular biology. I have some experience with the use of the plasmid vector for the purpose of manipulating gene expression and inserting new / foreign genes. It is a basic skill set, with some time I could be up and running with the weaponizing of microorganisms and/or using them for production of the toxins of your choice.

With both the Synthesis / Microbio I come with a decent small laboratory setup of incubators, GC/NMR/IR, glassware, centrifuge, scopes, etc.

Explosives. I've made nitroglycerin, solid fuel rockets, fuel air bombs and slow burning metal based (sodium, magnesium, lithium based) incendiaries (good for disabling equipment or entering armored containers as it will burn near 2500F and right through engine blocks and the thickest reinforced steel).

US Army retired, Captain. Special Activities Division Trained: Army field medical, RECONDO, sniper and Ranger training. Expert marksman scoring 40/40 on 12 different weapons. Fencing. Judo.

Hobbies: mind control, orchids, chess, cycling, esotericism, scuba diving, paragliding, poker, war games, guinea pigs.

I come with plenty of references on request.

I only ask for a small salary of 2 million USD annually. I also need an island (Perejil Island and Tago Mogo are possibilities - one is disputed and one is for sale, if not somewhere else in the Med or coastal mid Atlantic), underground lair (beyond the laboratory and other workspace it should include a dance floor, 5 head shower stalls in the four master suites, 25m swimming pool with 8m diving platform, bowling ally, command center, under water sub lock dock, heli-pad with retractable ceiling, sports book, observatory, poker room and recording studio - capacity for 12 staff / crew, 20 guests & 6 prisoners), helicopter (Boeing CH-47 in lime green with white leather), submarine (Seattle 1000 and crew), automobiles (custom armored Volvo c303, 2011 model Mercedes SLS AMG, Beck Porsche 904) and a wardrobe and expense account of $250k monthly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Sauer
United States
Willow Street
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
When they say shielded... do they mean big lead sheets or just deep underground... or even having your computer wear a tinfoil hat?

I never really answered your question in my prior post...

Assuming this was a serious question -- which I have no problems with, incidentally, as EMP threats are well-known for national security and military purposes -- "shielding" means shielding from the electric/magnetic field transients that can induce currents in wiring (of all kinds), not the shielding from radiation generated from nuclear events. The device, if detonated at altitude, wouldn't even have to be a high-yield device to do damage to most silicon-junction systems.

mbourgeois wrote:
What is the highest level of technology that would still run unaffected by the EMP?

If subjected to a high enough transient, common house wiring could have currents induced which can generate enough heat to start a fire... so nothing is really immune.

The real stuff at risk are all of the devices we use daily that employ high density transistor technologies. They would be toast if not Faraday-caged. Working one moment... then dead, and never to work again the next. Electronic ignition, computers, cameras, calculators, watches, flat panel televisions... I would make a joke about Best Buy right now, but I won't.

mbourgeois wrote:

Could you actually detonate just one in the atmosphere and take out a good part of the earth or would you have to detonate many any cover your bets that way.

How many do you have?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.