Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi, I have a (hopefully) short question:
What is the average time a game of Phantom League takes?
I know, the description says two hours, but (honestly) I have been fooled too many times by average times given on the box...

I really would like to buy this game because it really sounds great and fun, but (even if I like it very much) I don't need a second Twilight Imperium (measured in both, theme and time it takes to play a game).

So, is this game really played in around two hours or does it take twice that much?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerPower wrote:
What is the average time a game of Phantom League takes?

First game will always take longer than advertised length of a game, that is for sure.

We have played Phantom League something like 50 times during last two years with varying test groups, which often have had at least one new player, but even then it has not taken more than three hours, except once. The early editions naturally had problems that were later on weeded out, but the current printed release will hold the promise. However, we have identified that there are two ways of making the game longer than it should be:
* By concentrating on battle, instead of winning the game. This seems to somewhat typical for teen-age boys based on our test games. The constant battling does take time and unfortunately there is no way around it... but can be fun by itself.
* By not using missions. Missions make the game noticeably faster. We have seen games where mission cards were simply not used (existed, but not used) and it drags another hour for the game length.

So, I can promise you that Phantom League is not another Twilight Imperium. It will typically take the promised two hours, once players know the rules.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Schwarz
Germany
Frankfurt
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks a lot... It seems, that I will get myself a copy then...

btw: Back in the old days I loved Elite...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
KillerPower wrote:
Thanks a lot... It seems, that I will get myself a copy then...

yep. See you in Essen or if you're not there, we can ship you a copy from Germany.

Quote:
btw: Back in the old days I loved Elite...

So did I, so did I, but I guess that should not be a surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.