Subject: Slightly random end game card rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Fisk
United Kingdom
Stoke on Trent
Staffordshire
flag msg tools
Come on you Seagulls! Sami Hyppia's Blue & White army!
badge
That's weird. This bit used to mention Shire Games, and tell you all how wonderful we are. But it seems to have got deleted. Let's see what happens this time ....
mbmbmbmbmb
Something that has come up in the games we've played of this one.

And an excellent game I think it is too.

The rules say split the deck into four "approximately" even piles, then place the end game card on top of the fourth pile.

Now ... I'm a little bit anal about things like this, so "approximately" even means 10 cards in each. To be honest, handling cards a lot, a random stab at approximate is very likely to produce four piles of ten, especially if you then even them out a little.

This means that players can predict the end, based on how many cards are face-up on the display.

Would it be a good idea if - after splitting the deck into four even piles - you took the bottom three cards from pile C and the top three cards of pile D and shuffled the end game card into those ?

N.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick King
United States
Duluth
GA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
I do almost this. I take 9 cards and deal them down, then i mix in the End Game card in the next 5 cards, then place the rest on top, for a 4p game.

The end result is 7 turns for everyone, then the game will end sometime in the next 5 cards, meaning everyone may get a full extra turn, or less. Gives a nice nail biting effect to the end game, where you aren't sure if your final maneuver will hold up or not.

For less than 4, I'd do similar math to simply make it to where the end game card shows up somewhere in the n+1 chunk of cards nearest 10 remaining while giving players equal turns.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Goldsmith
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
A variant ending I'd like to try is to take the last pile of ten cards, take off the top n cards where n is the number of players, shuffle in the fourth Strip card with those n cards, then put those shuffled cards on top of the last pile. This will ensure an unknown number of turns and an unknown number of cards that will never come up without otherwise changing the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.