Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know if this realistic to WW2 at all but I really enjoy the machine gun in (computer games) games like Day of Defeat. The crouching behind cover waiting for the machine gun fire spraying down the ally to stop to cross, the hopeless pinned-downed feeling, and the eventual blind sprint through smoke, hoping to not get hit, hoping to not get disoriented and make it to the next cover.

The idea is that the machine fires not at targets per-se but at a space (even if there is smoke/fog/brush) to suppress the enemy. From what I know/understand of ASL they have residual fire, and residual fire that cumulatively handle this idea.

I have read the "Hold Until Relieved" session report, and while it sounds like fun, I was wondering does Combat Patrol deal with this?

Disclaimer: I am not a grognard, or a war historian, or military tactician, or war vet, just a gamer wondering how one of their favourite video game experiences translates to a war game, so please do not flame if I am anachronistic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well there is a game as you can read a detailed session report on ConSim. I just think the company should handle communicating with the community better since it only really hurts them. That said I am still looking forward to the game and wish them all the best.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mbourgeois wrote:
Game will be done when it's done... better a finished product then the occasional offerings that come out with pages of errata and unhappy people all around.

Agreed! But what's wrong with progress updates and developer diaries and stories etc?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle Wilhelm
United States
Akron
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Same problem I have with another publisher. They announced the game would be released by summer and here October is here and no game. No updates either. In fact the web site still says it is expected by summer. Individuals on these forums got on my case, more or less telling me I am impatient, but that is not the point. My point is, if you are going to market a product, you had better keep up with it or you will not have consumers interested or simply refuse to buy from you any longer.It just amazes me...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
@kdw3 Exactly! In decreasing importance 1) Tell me it's delayed, 2) give me even a 1-line reason eg."rebalancing" or "getting quotes for euro quality components" 3) give me a new eta even if you have to tell me on that date that its delayed again.

I think the best example is the OpenPandora project where they were delayed ~2 years butwith weekly blog updates and a progress tracker of remaining work and revised schedules.

Still.... I would like to know about suppression fire, soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As a child I saved my allowance up for both Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy... so lets say I need reassurance that things aren't vaporware.

That said, the example would have been more illustrative a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Cox
United States
Sugar Land
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Is the gentleman with the BroStache invited to this party?
mbmbmbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
As a child I saved my allowance up for both Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy...

1) You must've saved up a fortune by the time you were able to buy these.

2) After 15 years of waiting, did either of these live up to your expectations?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
fuzzydice82 wrote:
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
As a child I saved my allowance up for both Duke Nukem Forever and Chinese Democracy...

1) You must've saved up a fortune by the time you were able to buy these.

2) After 15 years of waiting, did either of these live up to your expectations?

Chinese Democracy is the best G'n'R album... DNF? More like DNS... did not even start.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
AngryStarAnarchy wrote:
I don't know if this realistic to WW2 at all but I really enjoy the machine gun in (computer games) games like Day of Defeat. The crouching behind cover waiting for the machine gun fire spraying down the ally to stop to cross, the hopeless pinned-downed feeling, and the eventual blind sprint through smoke, hoping to not get hit, hoping to not get disoriented and make it to the next cover.

The idea is that the machine fires not at targets per-se but at a space (even if there is smoke/fog/brush) to suppress the enemy. From what I know/understand of ASL they have residual fire, and residual fire that cumulatively handle this idea.

The game Valor & Victory uses "Fire Lane" counters for MG's ...
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/video/18094/valor-victory/valor...

Possibly allow a MG , after firing , to place a, OP Action counter to simulate the "Fire Lane" ??

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
We've been trying a few different ways to represent "suppressive fire" vs "aimed" fire .... anybody have any ideas or thoughts on the topic that could be tried ?

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Art Bugorski
Canada
London
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Johnny Yuma wrote:
We've been trying a few different ways to represent "suppressive fire" vs "aimed" fire .... anybody have any ideas or thoughts on the topic that could be tried ?

I don't like ASL, but I like "residual" fire. It really feels like the air is filled bullets and you might eat one not meant for you. It also doesn't prevent heroics.

Other mechanics (e.g. instead of residual fire attack, saying that it just doubles movement point cost into the suppressed hexes to represent fear and/or crawling) that prevent that mad-dash potential for a sprint through a field of fire to capture an objective. You want those possible but improbable highly cinematic moments to be an option and memorable when they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave Prasse
United States
Fort Mill
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thanks !

I ran a few ideas past Dave ... if he thinks they are interesting enough to explore ,I'll post our rough ideas and let the group chew on them ...

dave

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.