Subject: A better way to make a new Game (for reals) rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Xenopho C. James
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
The first thread 'Make a game geek or cool' sucked.... this time I will give you better tips and stuff. My apologies for the first one.
Materials
The first thing you need is the 'school boy/girl' favored items tools of the trade. A pencil lead or mechanic (mechanic works best IMO), paper, graph paper, a game board, and your brain (can't do this w/o one).The paper is for unit cost, building costs, stats, formulas, weapon damage, and unit stats.
Balance
The first thing about balance is how powerful can a players unit be or how much it costs. Should this technology be used as a begginning tech or later. Balance is the most important thing for the game if a unit is god-like and costs like 10 gold change it to like 100-200 gold. Make sure that one player is not the best. Or balance it out, such as a skeleton may have 5 atk make it a cheap monster or make it a multi-build mob (two for one gold). And if a draconian has an atk of 10 make it more expensive. This formula may help for a war game. M=monster C=cost W/S= weak/strong. M=weak c goes down. M=S c goes up.
Research
Research is an important factor like propulsion system, where a castle might be, weapons, technology os stone age, tactics throughout the ages, and magic from games you played. Library, encyclopedias, books you have, and the history channel are perfect to help you in your game making.

Does and Don'ts
Don't make a Diablo game since it will take a solo person a year to complete it.
Don't make a D&D or S&S game since their are too many rules.
Don't put in tons of blood and gore or it looks plain stupid.
Don't make a Q&A game too hard at first make it easy then hard.
Don't make a game with thousands of rules add a few.
Make a game that everyone will enjoy (multiple things in one)
Make a game with an arsenal of weapons that are useful later on.
Make some monsters immune to high-level weapons that everyone uses.
Make a sports game/X-game with rap or rock music

If you think I'm missing something share your ideas with me so everyone can make an even better game with the new guidelines. Thank-you

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
Sorry, i couldn;t find the thread you mentioned. What is this thread about anyway? General tips for designing a better game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenopho C. James
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
yes...
It is too help other people to get started making new games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
See also this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Lots of info there, not only on getting a game published but also some resources to help at every other stage as well.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
zz huang
Singapore
Singapore
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
i see... i'll get started right away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xenopho C. James
United States
Unspecified
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Quote:
See also this thread: http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geekforum.php3?action=viewthrea...

Lots of info there, not only on getting a game published but also some resources to help at every other stage as well.
Quote:

So MY thread was a waste ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.