JonnyRotten
United States
Montpelier
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Greetings fellow geeks! It's Monday! The weekend is now over, and as we toil at our assorted labors, we should recount our past weekend gaming exploits.

So, all you weekend gamers, bring your mini-session reports and stories of weekend gaming greatness, as you pop in here to answer the question:
What did you play this weekend?

The Geeklist version can be found here:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/geeklist/59489/item/1422878

Check out the subscription thread:
http://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/4115320 Subscribe so you don't miss a single moment of the fun!

Ugh. yet another short weekend home, between traveling trips. BLARGH.

I did get some decent gaming in, though short. I also played a ton of Minecraft with my son, which is just an incredible game. I highly suggest it to every single one of you that has a computer!!!

2010-10-02
Dominion x2
Pandemic

2010-10-03
Dominion x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Magic Pink
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Played Runebound with the boyfriend. His first "hobby" boardgame and he loved it. He was amazed at the 60-90 min estimated playtime tho, we were 2 hours plus into it before we had to stop and we hadn't even made it to blue encounters yet.

But tomorrow: Arkahm Horror, all the expansions. Woot!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Herrera
United States
Highland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Played:
Axis & Allies Pacific/Europe (1x)
Nexus Ops (2x)

Good Weekend!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Remus Rhymus
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think that this situation absolutely requires
badge
a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody's part!
mbmbmbmbmb
On Saturday I played a few games at EPGS.

First a quick 2-player game of Innovation. Ok game. A little too chaotic for my tastes. I'd try again though since it plays so quick. Maybe after learning the cards, I would appreciate the game more.

Next I played Fresco (including all 3 expansion modules). Not sure how I feel about this one. The mechanics felt somewhat redundant, nothing really new. It seemed to take a long time to play (4 noobs) for what it is. I'd imagine it would go much quicker next time now that we'd played it through once.

Then a 3 player game of Egizia. I'm really liking Egizia alot. Great twist on the Worker Placement mechanic (having to always place downstream). Excellent resource management (strength of construction crews, stone production, food production, etc.) The various Nile cards and the order they come out keep the game replayable. I like the hidden end-game score cards (Sphinx), keeps it so there is no clear leader. Really good game.

On Sunday I played 3 games of Star Wars R2-D2 is in Trouble with my son.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Neil Henning
United States
Nutley
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Wars of the Roses: Lancaster vs. York for the first time and enjoyed it very much. I actually think it would become even better the more experienced the players become.
I played Tammany Hall for the second time and managed to squeek out a win. It is a very difficult game to control.
In a five player game of Glory to Rome I came in third as the deck ran out right before my turn where I would have been able to empty my stockpile into the vault. So close and yet so far.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Don Barree
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
badge
General Bonkers says the War on String may be unwinnable. Detractors worry that his statements will embolden string.
mbmbmbmbmb
Tammany Hall
Wars of the Roses
Glory to Rome
Race for the Galaxy
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adverb
United States
Yankeedom
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's still all-Agricola, all the time at my house -- five two-player games v. my wife, with no sign of slowing. We just picked up a few new games, though (Brass, Innovation, Battle Line), so I'm hoping to get something else into the mix to avoid farming burn-out.

On Sunday morning my daughter asked me to play There's a Moose in the House with her before I took her to Sunday school, which provided a nice island of one-versus-one quality time amid an otherwise hectic day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
E J
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Had a 5 player Cyclades game. It was everyone's first game. It was a hit! I cant wait to play this again.

Learned Space Alert as well with 5 players. Fully enjoyed that too although I needed a tranquilizer afterwords.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Straight

Covington
Louisiana
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
My wife and I played Magic Realm either Thursday or Friday [can't recall], and then an attempt at a 2p 1853 over Saturday and Sunday.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff S.
United States
Between Cincinnati and Dayton
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
At the boy's pleading, we reluctantly agreed to play The Settlers of Catan. I suppose it's a sign my my board-game snobbery that I've come to dislike this game. Yes, it's what got me into the board game world, but, now that I've sampled numerous other games, I now understand why other BGGers dislike dice so much.

That said, the game was a lot of fun. Surprising! Pleasantly surprising, actually. We may have to play again next weekend.... Go figure!

After the boy went to bed, the wife and I played Alhambra. We have the Big Box, so we've got a lot of expansions to try. We really liked The Characters.

I don't know what it is about Alhambra... on many levels, it's just multi-player solitaire. Nevertheless, we always have lots of fun playing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Claus E. L. M.
Denmark
Randers SØ
Vestdjurs
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One measly solo-game of Lord of the Rings. All my neighbours, who I usually play with, were out of town.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Stanton
England
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Had the weekend mid-week as we were away on holiday.
4 couples- 2 gamers, 3 part-gamers, 1 novice gamer & a couple of non-gamers (well- that's pretty much how it ended up)
Day 1 was a couple of games of Dominion 3-player
Day 2 involved teaching the others Carcassonne. this ended up being played by the guys whenever there was 15 minutes spare, a game of Monopoly Deal & a game of Outrage!
Day 3- The rainy day of the holiday...so we stayed in & played boardgames- Shame More Carc & teaching of Perudo. This was another that ended up getting played by whoever was there with some time to spare.
Day 4- A post-breakfast game of Risk:Clone Wars, a bit more Carc & Perudo.

It was gratifying to teach people Carc & Perudo (which none of the other couples had heard of before) & then for the rest of the holiday see them set up a game at every opportunity

So
Monopoly Deal- 1 game
Risk:Clone Wars- 1 game
Dominion- 2 games
Carcassonne- 7+ that I was involved in
Perudo- Somewhere in double figures
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Castle of the Devil - x2 Really enjoying this one, every game feels very different, based on how much different people get to know early on.

Guillotine - x4 I like this game a lot, but 4 straight plays is probably too much. Fortunately it comes out rarely -- I think I need a break ><

Commands & Colors: Ancients - My first play! Loved it. I think the card driven aspect is great, and reduces what would surely be total AP. Can't wait to play again (and again, and again).

Claustrophobia - Again, my first play. Solo this time to teach myself the rules. I almost played solo right afterwards, but got called away. Very interested in pulling this out with my gaming friends.

A good weekend! And pretty soon I'll have a second gaming roommate, which should lead to more fun. My current roommate gets burned out a lot sooner than I do, on games. =(
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Cooper
United States
Salt Lake City
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Bought and got in my first plays of Death Angel and Hive. I'm still not sure how I like Death Angel, but as I love abstracts, Hive was a great addition to my collection for sure.

I also learned Battles of Westeros.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
aug_aug
United States
Mountlake Terrace
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nuns on the Run baby! It was really pretty cool. I was the badass nuns chasing everyone down. The mechanics in this game are so interesting/cool because everyone's moves are secret to everyone else.

Space Hulk Death Angel - Totally fun, I played a solo game that took far yuktoo long to figure out and required posts to BGG for answers; I state again that this particular rulebook is a steaming pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomas Riha
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Space Hulk Death Angel, alot. Best game in a very long time!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ralph T
United States
Signal Hill
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Two games of Kutschfahrt, one game of Byzanz.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Elgin
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Played Middle Earth quest and got trounce by the darn do-gooders.Then played Dominion and won a random match up. I love the app for Iphone and droids. The next game was Magical Athlete. This game is hilarious.I have played it twice now and have never even come close to winning but it was fun. Played a few hands of Magic while we waited for other players. Had a game of Small World with all the expansions.It was fun and quick. All I am saying is commando Halflings are tough.The night before we got a group of 7 playing Elixir.It was a great weekend of gaming. I wish there was more time but we eventually had to break up to go to bed.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stuart Carroll
Australia
Melbourne
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played a lot of these 3:
Neuroshima Hex! 3.0
Tichu
Ghost Stories
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Bame
United States
Flagstaff
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
One solo game of Memoir 44. I dug out my 14-yr. old Dicemaster: Cities of Doom, re-learned the rules and my wife and I played a couple games. Oh, the beautiful dice!! laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Shillinglaw
Canada
Kitchener
Ontario
flag msg tools
This is what I play.
badge
Vegatable Alien is perlexed by slab of meat.
mbmbmbmbmb
Founding Fathers x1
Battle for Hill 218 x1
Batt'l Kha'os x1
Android x1
Trivial Pursuit Steal x2
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Grey
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After an exhausting week, I earned my lazy weekend with the girlfriend.

Started it off by learning then playing Carcassonne: The Castle a few times on Saturday afternoon. Then her brother and his girlfriend showed up, so we took Settlers of Catan for a spin.

We opened Sunday afternoon with Lost Cities, then another two games of Carcassonne: The Castle. Then met up with friends in the evening for darts and Carcassonne (King's version).

So much Carcassonne this weekend.. surprise
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This weekend was ConQuest Oregon, so I was able to devote pretty much my whole weekend to game-playing.

Some of what I played included:

Revolution at the SJG demo section.It was my second try at the game, and I actually won.

Two sessions of Munchkin. The second one I was dealt in mid-game but still made it to Level 8 before the game ended.

A rather long game of Axis & Allies Europe (the previous edition). I was playing the Western Allies and had no luck at all in a game where luck is almost paramount,

A somewhat disastrous game of ASL Starter Kit #1. disastrous because I put myself in an utterly untenable position at the very beginning and had to way to get my reinforcements where I needed them on time. It didn't help that I rolled badly (a theme throughout the convention was how bad I was at rolling dice).

The new Settlers of America game based on the Catan engine. Not only did I roll badly but I did not play my position at all well. I was able to do little if any trade-good delivery, which is the goal of the game, because I was so cut of from everyone else.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dale C.
United States
Harrisonburg
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Star Wars Miniatures and then introduced Arcana to my game group. Arcana has just jumped up the list to one of my favorite games!!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Shep Ramsey
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Received Through the Ages for my birthday and played three games of it with my wife (simple version). We're now ready to move on to advanced rules. Great fun.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.