Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
/rant on

I loathe the term "true freshman". I watch only a smattering of college football, but it seems that this term gets bandied about at least a couple dozen times during a telecast. Every time I hear it, I tense up, just as if someone has dragged talons across a chalk board. Why can't the broadcasters just call them "freshmen"?

Are there any "false freshman"?

I understand what the term means. Most freshman are "redshirted", meaning that they can attend classes and practice with the team, but cannot participate in actual games. This gives the athlete time to add muscle and learn the system without losing any eligibility. If they stay in school, they can attend for 5 years, becoming fifth year seniors. Those freshman who do not redshirt, but instead play in games, are termed "true freshman".

Why can't broadcasters just call them freshmen? Why must they be designated "true" freshmen? Isn't "redshirt" freshman distinguishing enough (i.e., either you're a freshman or a redshirt freshman)?

I don't know why I even care. It just irritates me every time I hear "true" freshman.

/rant off

GET OFF MY LAWN!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregory Amstutz
United States
Chula Vista
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Must be a slow day
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob
United States
30° 12′ 38″ N, 95° 45′ 2″ W
flag msg tools
badge
You can't rob Peter, Paul and Mary to pay yourself.
mbmbmbmbmb
I get annoyed with the term "hit and run," when it's almost always a "run and hit." Unless, of course, they're talking about a car accident on the field.

One more thing: GET OFF MY LAWN.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I got...
badge
...something. :)
mbmbmbmb
Being a true freshman is much more impressive than a redshirt because they haven't had a year under their belts to learn the system and their position. I appreciate it when commentators make the distinction. College is so competitive that it takes a smart and gifted athlete to come in an beat out juniors and seniors for a starting position.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nasty McHaggis
United States
Columbia
South Carolina
flag msg tools
I'm pouring all of my points in sarcasm.
badge
Box next to hand.
mbmbmbmbmb
And what is the deal with airline food?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mb
MY OFF GET LAWN!!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.