Popular Tags: [View All]
Mark van den Boer
Canada
Richmond
BC
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The first thing that sprang to mind when I saw this title was: Is Canada joining the USA?
I blame it on a customer who came to visit from the USA and who asked me how I liked to be living in the 51st state.
So this could be a war game or maybe a negotiating game?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Unconciousness--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a common usage of the term 51st State for the UK when our politicians do something more popular in Washington than in London (invading Iraq, for example). The term even makes it as the title of a Hollywood film - not one of it's finest.

Here's a quick question for Americans in particular. Suppose the UK were to become the 51st state. Where would it rank among the states in population? (Go on, try it without looking.)

Spoiler (click to reveal)
1st - and with about the same number of people as the next two, California and Texas, put together
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hunter E
United States
Seattle
WA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Joke's been made, been discussed to death, and wasn't terribly interesting the first time around.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
King of All Simians — Not a Mere Diplomat
United States
Wilmington
Select State
flag msg tools
designer
I love you.
badge
I love you.
mb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Kramer
Germany
Stuttgart
Baden-Württemberg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Holmes! wrote:

A shame we can't view this video in Germany. Seems we should apply for joining in as 52nd or something state

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Holt
England
Rayleigh
Essex
flag msg tools
This is not the cat you're looking for - some other cat maybe?
badge
tout passe, tout lasse, tout casse
mbmbmbmbmb
In the extremely unlikely situation of either UK or Canada becoming part of the USA neither would become "the 51st state".
Each Canadian Province would be a State and the UK would be 2-4 states (It is totally unclear how Wales and Ulster would be treated).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Rudram
Canada
Victoria
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would assume 4 states... Wales, Scotland and Ulster all have some form of home rule that would allow it. How the Republicans and SNP would react to this, I don't know.

England would still be the most populist state in the USA by about 14 million. This would give it around 77 seats in the house of representatives and 75 electoral college votes.

Anyways, awesome video.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.