Popular Tags: [View All]
Paul McBee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
To give you an idea of what I like. Two of my favorite games are Runebound and Arkham Horror. My group and I love games heavy in theme (scifi and fantasy being our two favorites), good strategic and tactical depth, a good story, a decent playtime (4-6 hrs is perfect), and a satisfying "epic" feel. We feel like the aforementioned games give those things to us.

After some research I discovered that Descent is set in the same world Runebound is and has the same designer as Arkham. We originally considered TI3 but due to the tremendous time investment we have decided to hold off on that one for now.

On to my question. Is this our game? Any and all replies would be appreciated. Additionally average playtimes and game impressions would be great. Thank you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Definitely. Try not to apply too much "logic" though, since some applications of the rules when mixed with other rules tend to create weird situations. Just shrug and roll with it and you'll have fun

Descent can be tediously long, though while you're playing it you don't realize how much time is passing. It's also not as epic feeling as Runebound since it's limited to one dungeon, but there's definitely hero growth in the game. If you want an even more epic feel, grab Descent: The Road to Legend as that is Descent played over multiple sessions, a slower, in depth growth giving it a much grander, epic feeling. It does take 50+hrs though

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just keep in mind that it's far more of a tactical miniatures game than a true "roleplaying" game. It's very competitive and cutthroat (between the heroes and overlord, that is, not between the heroes themselves).

That's not to say it's not thematic or entertaining, just be warned that it's a difficult game (although the difficulty shifts depending on what quest you do).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Reil
United States
Barre
Vermont
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It sounds like this is right up your alley. For my part, I love the game, but don't get many chances to play, primarily because of logistics. :/

shnar wrote:
Definitely. Try not to apply too much "logic" though, since some applications of the rules when mixed with other rules tend to create weird situations. Just shrug and roll with it and you'll have fun

Agreed with this. It's based on the Doom board game and Doom's heritage from video game to board game shows. Some of the conventions (respawning, teleporting back to "town") don't make much sense if you try to apply real world or even D&D world style logic to them, but they make perfect sense if you picture it as a video game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:
It sounds like this is right up your alley. For my part, I love the game, but don't get many chances to play, primarily because of logistics. :/

shnar wrote:

Agreed with this. It's based on the Doom board game and Doom's heritage from video game to board game shows. Some of the conventions (respawning, teleporting back to "town") don't make much sense if you try to apply real world or even D&D world style logic to them, but they make perfect sense if you picture it as a video game.

All the heroes have special magic crystals embedded in their bodies at the base of their skulls and the base of their spines that upon death teleports the body back to the nearest temple. Makes perfect sense. :-D
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Porr
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
My group in Columbus played our first quest at the end of July just a couple months ago but have been making up for lost time ever since. Even though I work 55 hours a week, I still find time to lose sleep over this game. I refer to the period before Descent as P.D. (pre-Descent) and now A.D. (After-Descent.)

I agree with all the above posts and would only add that 4-6 hours is about perfect for the length of most quests, so that seems to fit. Don't be surprised if some take longer, especially when playing with at least 4 heroes (the best way to play) and especially while learning the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Redden
United States
Manchester
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Nut'n honey
badge
"One of the key problems today is that politics is such a disgrace, good people don't go into government." - Donald Trump
mbmbmbmbmb
coldshadow wrote:
To give you an idea of what I like. Two of my favorite games are Runebound and Arkham Horror. My group and I love games heavy in theme (scifi and fantasy being our two favorites), good strategic and tactical depth, a good story, a decent playtime (4-6 hrs is perfect), and a satisfying "epic" feel. We feel like the aforementioned games give those things to us.

After some research I discovered that Descent is set in the same world Runebound is and has the same designer as Arkham. We originally considered TI3 but due to the tremendous time investment we have decided to hold off on that one for now.

On to my question. Is this our game? Any and all replies would be appreciated. Additionally average playtimes and game impressions would be great. Thank you.

It might fit your mold if you choose a large enough map to play. Don't forget, Descent is not entirely cooperative, and one player must take on the role of Overlord, playing against all the other players. I would recommend Twilight Imperium (Third Edition) if you haven't yet (with the Shattered Empires expansion, of course), which is definitely not cooperative, but is heavy, epic with a huge amount of strategic and tactical depth, massive sf theme, and definitely takes 4-6 hours (maybe more.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
RedShark92 wrote:

I still think Descent would be an awesome game engine for a Diablo: The Boardgame. And since FFG has a Blizzard relationship, I'm shocked they haven't gone that route yet! Hell, they've made Warcraft, Starcraft, and World of Warcraft games! All that's left is Diablo! Well, that and that Vikings game they made...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
LIFEFORM - LATE PLEDGE NOW!!!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
I still think Descent would be an awesome game engine for a Diablo: The Boardgame.

I'd buy that for a dollar.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
ninjadorg wrote:
shnar wrote:
I still think Descent would be an awesome game engine for a Diablo: The Boardgame.

I'd buy that for a dollar.

Maybe even two fifty.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tristan Hall
England
Manchester
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
I've emailed them that many times over the years.

I think Descent literally is Diablo minus the random dungeons and random loot.

I'd love a Diablo boardgame by FFG.

Let's create a game page for it here on the Geek and build up the hype like we did for Ravenloft. Then it's just a matter of time before FFG release it...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
D6Frog wrote:
ninjadorg wrote:
D6Frog wrote:
I've emailed them that many times over the years.

I think Descent literally is Diablo minus the random dungeons and random loot.

I'd love a Diablo boardgame by FFG.

Let's create a game page for it here on the Geek and build up the hype like we did for Ravenloft. Then it's just a matter of time before FFG release it...

I have a feeling they are already planning it. Diablo3 hits in 2011 or 2012. So I bet they have something cooking.

Like Shnar said, it is the only Blizzard heavy-hitter they have not adapted.

But as your said it is kind of like Descent. And when you do the campaign mode is becomes random dungeons with random treasure. They may not make one simply because it is too similar.

Of course if they do release it I wouldn't be surprised if they made them somehow compatible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:

But as your said it is kind of like Descent. And when you do the campaign mode is becomes random dungeons with random treasure. They may not make one simply because it is too similar.

Of course if they do release it I wouldn't be surprised if they made them somehow compatible.

Nah, that's like saying Doom is too similar to Descent. I could easily see a Diablo and Descent with the exact same mechanics sitting side by side. I know *I* would buy it!

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
shnar wrote:
corkysru wrote:

Nah, that's like saying Doom is too similar to Descent. I could easily see a Diablo and Descent with the exact same mechanics sitting side by side. I know *I* would buy it!

-shnar

Even though I have never played Diable(I know I know.. that blasphemy) I would to. I just love Doom/Descent. I think they are quite enjoyable games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A big problem with that would be simulating the enormous amounts of random loot, which more or less defined Diablo. Creating even part of that variety for a board game is tricky. Of course, if they pull it off, it surely would be interesting .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Overholser
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I imagine it would work if you had a deck of base items, and a deck of enhancements. Every time you get an item, you draw a base item from the deck, and most base items will tell you to draw from the enhancement deck. Each card in the enhancement deck would be a different bonus, and would be tied to the item it was drawn for.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nite Wolf
Sweden
Göteborg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah that would've been my first idea as well. But it would also mean you'd have to first figure out if it has any, one or two enhancements and either have multiple cards with the same boni or shuffle them in after puzzling it together (and note down the find). Given how much loot tends to drop either way would be rather inconvenient though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or just do a Diablo 1 game, not Diablo 2

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tobias Mrosek
Germany
Hessdorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
count me in on that.

Diablo 1 like boardgame with the tactical options of doom (jup not descent) but with nearly the same dice system (can´t beat it) from descent.

They will of course make a Diablo III Boardgame with all the classes available. Miniatures for both male and female characters.

All the enemies will be cardboard tokens with only the main bosses will get their own great miniatures as well. (maybe we have to buy them like they told us in the campaignoptions for descent)

For the amount of different cards for all the loot, powers and equipment.
Just look at their other games. 300+ cards with the same godly finish as the one in Descent? no problem for FFG.

So, just to snap you out of your dreaming. Dialbo III is miles away and the descentlines runs well to good to put yourself into competition.

cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McBee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
After doing some more looking I found Runewars. That one also looks awesome. Any thoughts on that one or how the two compare? Thanks, by the way, for all the great responses so far. I appreciate it. Any further insight into Runwars vs. Descent would be great .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
While I've not played Runewars (yet), Descent is much more "personal", i.e. you're right there in a dungeon crawl simulation, not trying to play a game representing many people in wars. Runewars sure looks cool, and I'll probably get it so complete my Terrinoth collection, but it's hard to compare the two. I think Runewars is more comparable to Runebound...

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Runewars is an empire building game. You have manage some resources(by taking over territories) and either fight your opponents for their territories. Go to fantasyflightgames.com and look up the video they have for it. Did a good job of explaining(far better than me). I find them both a lot of fun but completely different games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul McBee
United States
Eagle Mountain
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
corkysru wrote:
Runewars is an empire building game. You have manage some resources(by taking over territories) and either fight your opponents for their territories. Go to fantasyflightgames.com and look up the video they have for it. Did a good job of explaining(far better than me). I find them both a lot of fun but completely different games.

So, if I understand you....Runewars is more comparable to TI3?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Lewis
United States
Thornton
Colorado
flag msg tools
NFHS Football & Basketball
badge
Dread Our Coming, Suffer Our Presence, Embrace Our Glory (Solonavi War Cry)
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, Runewars is more akin to TI3 than Descent. Though Runewars and Descent are the same "universe", they are very different games, mechanically.

Keep in mind though that while TI3 and Runewars are similar, they are still pretty different themselves. Both are excellent games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Williams
Canada
Mississauga
Ontario
flag msg tools
coldshadow wrote:

So, if I understand you....Runewars is more comparable to TI3?

Yes, Runewars is comparable to TI3. It's by the same designer and uses some of the same ideas (activating hexes, units move TO a single hex each turn.) It's also much faster to play and streamlined in a lot of ways. Although there are still several strategies one might use to collect the required Runes to win, it doesn't have the same depth in political or economical arenas as TI3 does.

If you're already familiar with TI3, imagine playing that game in about half the time, where there's not as much politics, no tech trees or trade goods, but the leaders are more active and actually play a considerable role in earning victory.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.