Subject: Witch/Curse cards newbie question rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Heynes
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi.I am new to board games scene I think i am the only person who has not played Dominion yet. I have a question. I have read the rules and its sounds great but the whole Witch/Curse cards bothers me.

I am a Christian and I want to know if i can play Dominion without the Witch or Curse cards? Can i take them out of the game and throw them away without affecting the gameplay? Are they vital to the game? If so i would rather not buy Dominion then.

Thanks for the advice.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes you can.

It will reduce the number of different games you can play, and you'll miss out on some of the strategies. But many games don't include the Witch.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Coffey
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
You can play without curse cards. There are a few other cards that use curse cards as well that you'd also have to sideboard (don't recall which ones are in which set though).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Buz
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion allows you to choose any ten from the 25 cards included. If you don't use the Witch, then you don't use the Curses either. The game is just fine without them.

There are other cards in the expansions which utilize the curses, but in the base set the Witch is the only one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
Glory to Rome!
badge
"Let each man pass his days in that wherein his skill is greatest" Propertius Sextus
mbmbmbmbmb
Also, in later expansions, the Curse cards become more vital:

Swindler, Sea Hag, Embargo, Torturer all come to mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion:Prosperity too. I would suggest talking with your pastor about this since there are a lot of these types of issues in many many games here on boardgamegeek.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Cordeiro
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthnice wrote:
Also, in later expansions, the Curse cards become more vital.

...but still not necessary to play and enjoy the game in accordance with your beliefs and values.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Does your religion have lightsabers? Nope? Didn't think so.
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
As a Catholic I would suggest reevaluating your faith if you have to take something like a board game that mentions curses and witches as a threat to your religion.

#1 It is just a game.
#2 It is just a game.
And the biggest one of all:
#3 It is just a game.

So much more to be said on this question but before I can do that this thread would have to be moved to the appropriate forum.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Duke
United States
Wynne
Arkansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Did you mean move the "thread" or was that an intentional pun on shaky faith?

Seriously, this is a sad thing, like folks who denied the layout of the solar system because if the Earth wasn't the center, it supposedly threw everything else into doubt.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Dominion is a fairly abstract game, so "Witch" and "Curse" are really just names. If they bother you that much, you can go through the cards and replace every occurrence of "Curse" with "Boo-boo" and "Witch" with "Meanie."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
i'm offended by the torturer. can i call him meanie also?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Brendel
United States
Dunwoody
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
He's the Super-Meanie Boogerhead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Heynes
South Africa
Cape Town
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Its got nothing to do with having 'shaky faith' Its about following the Holy Bible (which has the best 'rules' if you want to win this game of life) which says in Romans 12:14 'Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.'

I want to play Dominion but if the Bible says you shouldn't curse people, then even if its just a card game, i refuse to curse people. Simple as that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinekor02 wrote:
Its got nothing to do with having 'shaky faith' Its about following the Holy Bible (which has the best 'rules' if you want to win this game of life) which says in Romans 12:14 'Bless them which persecute you: bless, and curse not.'

I want to play Dominion but if the Bible says you shouldn't curse people, then even if its just a card game, i refuse to curse people. Simple as that.

We are telling you that you cannot curse people in a game. It's simply a mechanic. The biblical reference does not apply because you aren't actually cursing anyone. Like I said, talk with your pastor.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Schaeffer
United States
Unspecified
Illinois
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting thought process.

Note, though, that the Curse is not an actual curse, it's merely the name of a card. The effect of the card is not to place a curse on anybody; it simply affects their score in the game.

Also, even if you fervently believe that it is possible to curse someone, requiring someone to take a Curse card (by use of the Witch or any other mechanism) does not actually "curse" anyone. The card's effect doesn't apply to your opponent, it applies only to your opponent's deck of Dominion cards, and only when it comes time to calculate the score of the game. You are no more "curs[ing] people" than you are taking title to land when you buy a Province card.

(I should also point out that the verse you cited is a specific instruction not to curse people who are persecuting you, which is a stretch to apply to your opponent in a Dominion game.)

Tell me, will you also refuse to play with the Moneylender card?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sam Lindsay-Levine
United States
St. Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kinekor02 wrote:

Since the Bible says:
Luke 16:13 (NIV) "No servant can serve two masters. Either he will hate the one and love the other, or he will be devoted to the one and despise the other. You cannot serve both God and Money."
Heb 13:5 (RSV) "Keep your life free from the love of money, and be content with what you have."

Should you therefore also refrain from ever adding more money to your deck while playing Dominion?

Since the Bible says:
Exodus 22:25 (ESV) "If you lend money to any of my people with you who is poor, you shall not be like a moneylender to him, and you shall not exact interest from him."

Should you also refuse to play with the card Moneylender?

Since the Bible says:
Exodus 20:15 (ESV) "You shall not steal."

Should you also refuse to play with the card Thief?

It sounds like this is going to be a very difficult game for you to play at all!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wolfe
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
Zendo fan, Columbus Blue Jackets fan, Dominion Fan.
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinekor02 wrote:
I am a Christian and I want to know if i can play Dominion without the Witch or Curse cards? Can i take them out of the game and throw them away without affecting the gameplay? Are they vital to the game? If so i would rather not buy Dominion then.

Rather than throw them out, you could just take a Sharpie to them and rename them "Burden" or something. It doesn't have to be called Curse for the game to work. Others have rethemed the entire game, and as far as I know, the Curse card in those fan-made versions is called something else.

If that doesn't work for you, here's a direct answer to your question:
Although technically, the Curse cards are in play for every game, there are many games in which it never comes into play, and you can get away without it. In the base game, only the Witch card references the Curse card, so without the Witch card, the Curse card will probably never come into play. As others have said, later expansions have additional cards that reference the Curse card, and still others that tend to bring it into play without directly referencing it, so those cards would need to be avoided, too, if you wanted to avoid the Curse card.

Good luck. It's a fun game, and I'd hate for you to miss out on it because of the name on a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N_O_ Y_B
United States
flag msg tools
mbmb
Oh! I forgot that the forums are supposed to be used to start an argument with someone on an issue of their faith and how it relates to Dominion game mechanics...

In short, you are guys are acting like assholes. I'm sure none of you actually are, but when a guy simply asks whether the game is still possible to play after removing a mechanic and you begin to back him into a corner on an issue that is strictly one of personal choice....well, it doesn't reflect well upon your character. I suppose everyone has to think exactly how you do?

How does it ever effect you if he wants to remove a card/mechanic from one of his games? Answer, it doesn't! Ta-da!

To address the original poster's question, in my opinion it doesn't change too much about the original game. It will have a greater effect on further expansions but the base game should still be just as enjoyable without it, and most of the cards from the expansions will also remain unaffected, except in how they may be used to interact with the curse cards.

I personally think the curse mechanic is a great one, but to each his own (a lesson some on here have apparently not yet learned).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
"A person is smart. People are dumb, panicky dangerous animals." Agent K. Oh my what he would think of people had he known about what the internet would become.....
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:
Oh! I forgot that the forums are supposed to be used to start an argument with someone on an issue of their faith and how it relates to Dominion game mechanics...

In short, you are guys are acting like assholes. I'm sure none of you actually are, but when a guy simply asks whether the game is still possible to play after removing a mechanic and you begin to back him into a corner on an issue that is strictly one of personal choice....well, it doesn't reflect well upon your character. I suppose everyone has to think exactly how you do?

How does it ever effect you if he wants to remove a card/mechanic from one of his games? Answer, it doesn't! Ta-da!

To address the original poster's question, in my opinion it doesn't change too much about the original game. It will have a greater effect on further expansions but the base game should still be just as enjoyable without it, and most of the cards from the expansions will also remain unaffected, except in how they may be used to interact with the curse cards.

I personally think the curse mechanic is a great one, but to each his own (a lesson some on here have apparently not yet learned).

Actually most of us are being a lot less asshole-ish than we could be. Most people simply pointed out that the name of the cards mean nothing and that the OP was reading way to much into the name. I would actually say the most offensive post on this thread was yours.

There is only one card effected in the base game but I believe there are many others in the expansions that either use them directly(sea hag, torturer), allow access to them (swindler) or are just nicely combo'd with them(ambassador).

And if witch bothers you just wait until you get to Alchemy... The have familiar and Possession....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jennifer Schlickbernd
United States
Santa Clarita
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not criticizing his choice, he's certainly free to play whatever cards he'd like to play. I'm just saying take another look at it. I'm also saying though that a lot of games here would have these issues. And as a previous poster has pointed out, if biblical references are going to be taken literally, there are all kinds of problems with Dominion.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
matt feldman
United States
Maple Valley
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
WhiteRider27 wrote:

hrm, this may have been true...except that the question was answered pretty straight-forwardly several times. then the original poster felt the need to start quoting scripture. then...well then what did you THINK would happen?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Beth Hicks
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Whenever I play with the Witch Cards, I always get trounced by my bf. For that reason alone, they frustrate me.

To answer your question, I have played many good games without the Curse cards or the Witch card. Also, I'm 99% sure that every card that doles out a Curse to your fellow players also has another benefit, e.g. The Witch cards allow you to draw two cards into your hand.

Dominion is a great, fast game. Definitely worth adding to the collection. Even without the cards that worry you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin J
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
kinekor02 wrote:

Don't worry, there is no card in the game which curses anyone. Cards say that other plays gain a curse card, so it's not the players who are cursed, it's just the cards. Also the cards come pre-cursed, so you don't have to worry about cursing the cards yourself.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ossian Grr aka "Josh"
United States
Chelmsford
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
GRRRRR!!!
badge
GRRRRRRRRR!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone entertained the idea that maybe the original poster was just trolling?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrick G.
United States
Glenshaw
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jozxyqk wrote:
Has anyone entertained the idea that maybe the original poster was just trolling?

Never crossed my mind. I have met too many people like that in real life that I just assumed that they were serious... of course... they are on the internet... and that is strange....
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.