8 Posts

Race for the Galaxy» Forums » Rules

Subject: Order of Produce Powers rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm well aware that Consume powers may be invoked in any order that you like, even if it results in goods not being able to be consumed.

Is the same true of Produce powers? I had a tableau the other day in which I had Damaged Alien Factory, Research Labs, Gem World, and Diversified Economy (3 different color goods to be produced). I didn't want to spend any of the cards in my hand to produce on DAF, so chose to produce on Gem World first, draw a card, discard that card to produce on DAF, then produce on the brown world, and finally draw 4 cards (1 for RL's power and 3 from DE).

Was that a legal play?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
theright555J wrote:
I'm well aware that Consume powers may be invoked in any order that you like, even if it results in goods not being able to be consumed.

Is the same true of Produce powers? I had a tableau the other day in which I had Damaged Alien Factory, Research Labs, Gem World, and Diversified Economy (3 different color goods to be produced). I didn't want to spend any of the cards in my hand to produce on DAF, so chose to produce on Gem World first, draw a card, discard that card to produce on DAF, then produce on the brown world, and finally draw 4 cards (1 for RL's power and 3 from DE).

Was that a legal play?

Yes - you got the card from Gem World, produced on DAF, then chose to execute the Diversified Economy power. The only gotcha is with DE - you couldn't "split" DE & use it for generating a card on one world, discard that card to produce on DAF, then attempt to get a card from DE for now producing on a yellow.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Baird
United States
Pflugerville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmb
Or put it this way, if you're wrong, I've played it wrong all this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Link
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks! I specifically made sure to produce on both the Alien and Rare world prior to using DE's power for exactly that reason.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Erik Berry
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mb
fenners wrote:
Or put it this way, if you're wrong, I've played it wrong all this time.

This is the way I understand it too. The play is legal.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes; you can invoke Produce powers in any order (except for those occurring at the end of Produce), as long as you don't interrupt one power with another one. What you did was fine.

(You can't, for example, start to collect cards from Diversified Economy, then use one of these cards to produce on Damaged Alien Factory, then try to collect another card from Diversified Economy, as this is interrupting one power (DE) with another power (DAF); similar situations can arise with the discard to produce on windfall powers introduced in TBoW.)

Edited for nit-picking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Børge N
Norway
Porsgrunn
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Tom Lehmann wrote:
Yes; you can invoke Produce powers in any order, as long as you don't interrupt one power with another one.

Except that you have to wait with Mining Conglomerate (Draw 2 if produced most Rare) and Pan-Galactic Affluence (Draw 1 if most goods produced) until after all players have used their produce powers. This should be pretty obvious, but should be noted in case somebody uses these powers to draw cards just because they are first in turn order and says "nobody else has produced anything yet.."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Lehmann
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmb
Yes, obviously, the Powers that say "at the end of Produce" can't be used before then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.