Chariot Lords» Forums » Sessions

Subject: The Ancient World of October 3rd, 2010 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andreas Johansson
Sweden
Linköping
flag msg tools
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
badge
I spent 200 GG and all I got was this lousy overtext!
mbmbmbmbmb
Got another game of Chariot Lords (fast-play version) in on the 3rd, with three new players. Two of them liked it, the third (playing Yellow), whose tastes tends to run to lighter fare, said it was interesting but that he wouldn't play it again. A summary by player:

Perhaps unsurprisingly, I won, as Blue. Egypt did well basically through-out the game, holding Canaan for much of the game; wiping out the Canaanites, Sea Peoples, and Judeans; and finally resisting the Nubians. The Achaeans got wiped out in short order, the Urarteans got mauled by the Mitanni but managed to secure their special objective just before the Assyrians wiped them out, while the Aramaeans did very well, securing their objective, killing lots of red and yellow troops, and holding parts of Syria till game end. The Medes lost a few points on account of suboptimal play on my part but basically did their job in the final turn, scoring enough to maintain the lead the Egyptians had built up.

Second place went to White, despite the Nubians' debacle. Their big points earner was, of course, Hatti, who declined to go south for the special objective and instead concentrated on getting lots of points for holding territory in Anatolia. They finally did lose Hattusas to the Phrygians, but still held parts of Asia Minor at game end. The Judeans couldn't achieve much against the Egyptians, but did try the interesting move of invading Egypt proper to help the Nubians down the line. Didn't ultimately suffice, but interesting play nonetheless. The Elamites did pretty well, securing their objective and surviving in the Zagros till game end, while the Cimmerians, as is their wont, rampaged through Armenia and Anatolia, scoring lots of points and wiping out the Phrygians and the last Caspian remnants of the Mitanni.

Yellow looked to start out well, with the Kassites lasting a good while and achieving their objective, and the Canaanites being untroubled by the Hettites. Things then started to go wrong however, as I wiped out the Canaanites just before they could score their objective points, and easily repulsed the Sea People's invasion. The Luvians and Phrygians did better, eventually achieving their objectives, but Hatti's strength meant they could not score really well, and late-game invasions of Anatolia by the Assyrians and Cimmerians did not help. The Chaldeans scored tolerably, but not well enough to place Yellow higher than 3rd. It may be noted that after the Cimmerian and Medean rampages on turn ten, game end saw a single Yellow unit on the map - a Chaldean chariot in Euphrates.

Red, finally, had some mixed luck. Mitanni and Sumer did reasonably, achieving their objectives and lasting long - the later till game end, the former till the Cimmerian invasion -, but Lydia was crushed by the Luvians and Hittites, while the Libyans failed almost completely in their attempts to gain a foothold in Egypt, never holding more than one area. Decisive, however, was the uninspiring performance by the Assyrians. The first wave was wiped out by the Kassites and Elamites, and the second, while scoring some successes and achieving two of their objects (probably wisely, no attempt was made to reach Memphis), couldn't amass enough points to close the gap to Yellow. Raids by my Aramaeans didn't help - I should perhaps, in retrospect, have gone for someone else, but I was paranoid about a possible attack on Memphis, which would have left me unable to resist the Nubians and might have cost me the game to White.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reinhard S.
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very interesting game

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.