United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have a couple of questions, having just picked up a copy of Totaler Krieg!,

First of all, I'm wondering if I have all the counters. I have two sheets of counters, one Axis and one Allied. I haven't counted out all the counters yet, but I know I am supposed to have 560 counters. How many sheets of counters should I have?

Secondly, it looks like there are relatively few counters at startup of the campaign game. Is that right?

Finally, how much space should I set aside to set up the game. I know I can't set it up in my current apartment, but how big a space should I ask anyone I want to bring it over to to play (or any club or game day) to set aside for it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Heldt
United States
Harper Woods
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
Two panzer jocks in the South Seas hoping that soon they'll get lei'd--
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, just two counter sheets times 280 per sheet equals 560 counters.

The setup does have relatively few counters; most units get built or mobilized during the game. Don't worry, you'll soon have reasonably-sized stacks to move!

As for space, we've found that half a ping-pong table works nicely. Set up the map across the end of the table with the Soviet and Allied players sitting on their respective ends of the map and the German in the middle. You should have plenty of room for the force pools as well as the map--

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daryl Anderson
United States
Trumansburg
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
One of the truly fantastic aspects of this game IMHO - its ability to simulate the breadth and depth of the conflict as well as to allow for some fascinating "what if" play... all with so few counters and nary an inch-high-stack to be found !

I admit I found it quite disconcerting at first to play such a "sparse" setup but it is worth it... as the conflict itself did the units on-map will grow.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the answers. When I was placing my bid for TK at the auction, one of the other people at the convention looked over my shoulder and said "Ah, Totaler Krieg -- a Man's Game." This was the guy who had moderated as I had my backside handed to me in ASL Starter Kit #1 -- I had played the same scenario with the same side last year and with equally poor results.

Hopefully, if I ever get to play, my luck with Toitaler Krieg will be better. But I don't expect to star tout being very good -- whenever I play computer versions of grand strategic WWII Europe games, I tend to have trouble conquering Poland and it goes downhill from there....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Fridy
United States
Kent
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Totaler Krieg is its own beast, and it's best learned from another rather than hacked through. On the other hand, once you know the basics, the game is both flexible and surprisingly realistic in its basic constraints of action.

I'll play it whenever I can.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.