United States
VANCOUVER
WA
flag msg tools
designer
48 hour turnaround time for Prototypes!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, just noticed it. When you post a comment to a geeklist it doesn't reload the whole page, just posts the comment! Awesome improvement.

thumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
Didn't know what to spend all this sweet GG on, so I bought the overtext.
mbmbmbmbmb
Howitzer_120mm wrote:
Wow, just noticed it. When you post a comment to a geeklist it doesn't reload the whole page, just posts the comment! Awesome improvement.

XMLHttpRequest. The best thing since http post
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
Never trust a smiling Garfield!
monteslu wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

Ehh, you could do it way back when without that though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

iframes hacks are the work of satan devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
monteslu wrote:
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

iframes hacks are the work of satan

It wasn't pretty, but it worked! Besides, we didn't use iframes on all browsers, they weren't supported on all. It was pure hell to get it to work on every available browser from that time, even Netscape 3, one solution even included a small Java applet, ahh, the horror
Damn, I'm old
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ŁṲÎS̈
United States
Mesa
Arizona
flag msg tools
F*** it! Do it LIVE!
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

It wasn't pretty, but it worked! Besides, we didn't use iframes on all browsers, they weren't supported on all. It was pure hell to get it to work on every available browser from that time, even Netscape 3, one solution even included a small Java applet, ahh, the horror
Damn, I'm old

Hey, I'm right there with you. The applet public method accessor in javascript was far hackier than iframes. I'm also guilty of that one, and to make matters worse, I didn't bother to fall back to an iframe, I just checke the user agent and told them not to use IE for that page.

I left the XHR activex object alone until I first saw the native js object appear in the good browsers. Then it became cool, and I ignored who invented it first
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alysa
Netherlands
Zoetermeer area
flag msg tools
Garfield
badge
monteslu wrote:
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Aenea wrote:
monteslu wrote:
Howitzer_120mm wrote:

Damn, I'm old

Hey, I'm right there with you. The applet public method accessor in javascript was far hackier than iframes. I'm also guilty of that one, and to make matters worse, I didn't bother to fall back to an iframe, I just checke the user agent and told them not to use IE for that page.

I left the XHR activex object alone until I first saw the native js object appear in the good browsers. Then it became cool, and I ignored who invented it first

Ahh, ignoring IE, that would have been nice No such luck, it had to work on all browsers on every OS out there... It wasn't a fun project But after it worked we could just include a client-side javascript in a page and it added the necessarystuff to make it work on all browsers and we could just use it... Until the next release of a browser!

Edit: just remembered it was all done client-side, tskk, how my mind blocks bad memories laugh
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.