Popular Tags: [View All]
Lee Fisher
United States
Downingtown
PA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Stronghold announced in their newsletter that they will be doing Outpost in 2011.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Today is a sad day for eBay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Corby
United States
Charlotte
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

But a good day for those of us whose copy is starting to wear out. My family loves Outpost. Replacing my original with a new copy will be welcome indeed!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep another game I have been wanting to own but I was not going to build my own nor pay the asking prices.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
If I can get Outpost at regular retail prices, then it moves WAY up on my wishlist.

Or maybe not -- I've become accustomed to playing a friend's computerized version at LAN parties, and the constant math of figuring out what the next lowest legal auction bid I can pay is, and how to divide my money into multiple purchases, may no longer be so appealing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

I will absolutely buy Outpost. But I see it always being a change of pace thing from Das Zepter for me. I love Das Zepter, which I know is not the general position held by the Outpost purist crowd.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Urban
United States
Los Angeles
California
flag msg tools
One hopes they will improve not only the physical appearance but the mechanical systems. For example, why have a bunch of fiddly counters which are literally _counters_ for the number of factories, when a pawn on a track will serve just as well?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Blanchett
Australia
Clifton Hill
Victoria
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
dkeisen wrote:

possibly the post of the month!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Buonocore
United States
BOYNTON BEACH
FL
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hey everyone!

Stronghold Games is very excited to be doing a reprint of this great game!

As we always do, Stronghold Games is working with the original designer, James Hlavaty, as well as the other former owners and investors in TimJim Games. Jim, who's just a great guy, was kind enough to invite me to his family's summer house on the Jersey Shore, so that we could not only discuss the reprint, but also for me to play Outpost with his whole family. His wife and children are wonderful as well. It was a real treat!

Stronghold Games will, of course, be doing a major upgrade on the components of the game, bringing them up to the highest-quality, 2010 printing standards. It is our intention to add some additional components and optional rules, so that the game can be played just as it was originally designed...OR it can be enjoyed with these new components and rules too. This is how we reintroduced Survive: Escape from Atlantis!, and this idea was well-received.

We look forward to providing you with additional details as we move forward on this production.

Outpost is the first game announced in the Stronghold Games 2011 game lineup... but there will be more, including additional big surprises...

Thanks,
Stephen M. Buonocore
Managing Director
Stronghold Games LLC
www.stronghold-games.com

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Brosius
United States
Needham Heights
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
badge
My favorite 18xx game for six players is two games of 1846 with three players each.
mbmbmbmbmb
I suggest including the v1.32 rules at least as an option. Most everyone I know who loves the game uses them.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Caminha
Brazil
Rio de Janeiro
RJ
flag msg tools
badge
And so it begins...
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Stephen (and to the OP and BGN too!), you can't imagine how happy I am to know about this. I'm a die-hard SoZ fan who always wanted to play Outpost but never got the chance. I even tried to make a $140 offer in a math trade that had an Outpost. I'm glad it didnt work out.

I *WILL* buy the reprint (don't feel ashamed to offer a special limited edition!).

Delusional musing: There's 99% chance I will go to next year's Essen. In the off chance the game appears there, I'd dearly love an autographed copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:
I suggest including the v1.32 rules at least as an option. Most everyone I know who loves the game uses them.

We will certainly take a good look at this ruleset. If the gaming community values a ruleset, then I think it's something that we should consider.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
evilone wrote:
...bringing them up to the highest-quality, 2010 printing standards.

Chinese or German standards?

Also, please, please, please, use 2.5" x 3.5" card stock so that we can easily sleeve this game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eric Brosius wrote:

Are those the expert rules, because if so I agree that they are essential.

I made a homemade Outpost last year, and it's been a huge hit. There will be some sales in Minneapolis for sure when this is released.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Morganza wrote:
Or maybe not -- I've become accustomed to playing a friend's computerized version at LAN parties, and the constant math of figuring out what the next lowest legal auction bid I can pay is, and how to divide my money into multiple purchases, may no longer be so appealing.

Compared to the computerized version, you might be annoyed. But it's really not that bad. I carry a stack of $3 calculators in my backpack, and they generally only get used on the last two turns. You're usually only adding up a half dozen numbers at a time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Brown
United States
Cumming
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
But don't be fooled by the radio, the TV, or the magazines. They'll show you photographs of how your life should be but they're just someone else's fantasies.
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
Morganza wrote:

Compared to the computerized version, you might be annoyed. But it's really not that bad. I carry a stack of $3 calculators in my backpack, and they generally only get used on the last two turns. You're usually only adding up a half dozen numbers at a time.

Based on what I have seen from Stronghold Games I would not be surprised if the game did not include calculators.

I have never played this game but the one criticism I have heard is there is a run away leader problem. Is that an unjustified criticism or has that been addressed in update rules?

I still cannot believe that I am getting a chance to own this game. I am a fan of The Scepter of Zavandor nd I like Phoenicia. Both I understand owe a lot to Outpost.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Eisen
United States
Menlo Park
CA
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
There is that "problem" and this was a core issue that Das Zepter and Phoenicia both tried to address: Das Zepter by bonusing players who fall behind and Phoenicia by having the game end right when the runaway leader is established.

Accept that and revel in it. Take it as the reward for good play. Just make sure it is you who is the leader.

And actually, Outpost has more of a fallaway loser problem than a runaway leader problem. There is often more than one player who is in contention at the end. But if your economy doesn't get going, you just fall further and further behind. Have to accept that it just isn't your day.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Nesbitt
Canada
Ajax
Ontario
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:
evilone wrote:
...bringing them up to the highest-quality, 2010 printing standards.

Chinese or German standards?

Also, please, please, please, use 2.5" x 3.5" card stock so that we can easily sleeve this game.

This will be printed up to Stronghold Games standards, meaning the best quality product we can put into a gamebox at a reasonable price to you.

Yes, we'll definitely consider making the card stock a size that is sleeve-able.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Anderson
United States
seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
Two Time Cancer Survivor - Never Give Up. Never Surrender. -Jason Nesmith from Galaxy Quest (1999 movie)
badge
Seattle Seahawks Super Bowl XLVIII Champions!
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe Stronghold can set a new standard and include tuck boxes for the cards. It is beyond me why manufacturers don't provide this simple thing. Of course those who like to sleeve their cards (not me yuk ) wouldn't be happy unless the box held sleeved cards. Proving you can never make everyone happy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lewis Wagner
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Excellent. This is a great game.

Please pick a different color scheme for research cards. These cards are blinding in the original.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gunter D'HOOGH
Belgium
WESPELAAR
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I still own an almost new copy of "Outpost" but I'm extremely interested in a reworked copy too!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burster of Bubbles, Destroyer of Dreams.
United States
Sunnyvale
California
flag msg tools
Just imagine the red offboard up here. I'll create it Real Soon Now...
badge
Yes, I know a proper 18XX tile should have a tile number.
mbmbmbmbmb
lewis wrote:
Excellent. This is a great game.

Please pick a different color scheme for research cards. These cards are blinding in the original.

And don't ever print anything in yellow on white. :-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Tyler
United States
Minnetonka
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hurray! I can hardly wait!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
Maybe Stronghold can set a new standard and include tuck boxes for the cards. It is beyond me why manufacturers don't provide this simple thing.

SERIOUSLY!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
turtleback wrote:
Maybe Stronghold can set a new standard and include tuck boxes for the cards. It is beyond me why manufacturers don't provide this simple thing.

The fact that this is generally not done should make you think that perhaps it isn't the simple thing you think it is. Occasional exceptions notwithstanding, games publishers aren't run by stupid people, and know their business better than you or I do.

I can actually be fairly sure that the answer is a combination of two things: lack of demand and cost. Note that the cost is higher than you might think it is, it's not just the manufacturing cost, but also any artwork issues, assembly issues and then needs marking up to retail (each ten cents on a cost is several times that ten cents on the retail price). I saw a comment once from Steve Cole (ADB - Star Fleet Battles) on how some apparently small thing that someone suggested adding (I forget what) would have added a dollar or two at the stores, and that was not a good thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.