Popular Tags: [View All]
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not sure I quite understand the draft -

Say Bob, Carol, Ted, and Alice are playing the game, and Bob is the starting player. Bob puts Cupid on the highest spot on the board, then has a chance to acquire her for 4. He passes, so the chance to acquire her goes to Carol, then Ted, then Alice.

If everyone passes, is Bob still the starting player? Does Bob stay starting player until he buys an athlete, in which case Carol becomes the starting player, irrespective of whether Carol has already acquired one or more athletes?.

Thanks in advance for clarifying this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TTorres
United States
Roseville
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are a couple of ground rules we need to set. First, during the draft you need to track the "active" player, not the "starting" player.

Say Bob, Carol, Ted and Alice are playing, i.e. B, C, T, & A, sitting clockwise in that order. The draft board has spots numbered 0-4, all of which are empty at the start of the draft.

An example draft:
- B is active player.
- B draws Cupid and attempts to place at 4.
- As spot 4 is empty, Cupid remains where placed.
- B chooses whether to purchase one of the available athletes, or to pass. Only 1 athlete is available, Cupid for 4.
- B chooses to pass (and may do so only because there isn't an athlete available for 0 yet)

- C is now active player.
- C draws another athlete, Assassin, and attempts to place at 4.
- Since Cupid's at 4, Cupid must slide one spot lower, and this downward slide cascades (e.g. in turn, each lower ranked athlete is pushed down)
- C chooses whether to purchase one of the available athletes, or to pass. Only 2 athletes are available, Cupid for 3 and Assassin for 4.
- C chooses to pass (and may do so only because there isn't an athlete available for 0 yet)

- T is now the active player.
…and so on.

Each active player will have one opportunity to purchase a single athlete , from all that are currently available, at the cost of it's rank. The active player may choose to pass unless there's an athlete available for 0. In that case, the active player must choose an athlete.

Each new athlete drawn by the active player will push all existing athletes down one spot. Therefore, the newly drawn athlete will always begin at 4.

Download the rulebook (http://www.zmangames.com/cardgames/files/magical_athlete/MA_...) and read through "The Draft" on page 1.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyoko Steeple
United States
Columbia
HI
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The starting player in the draft is irrelevant. The player who goes first has the option to purchase the first athelete drawn from the deck for 4 or to pass. After that, play passes clockwise and 'the starting player' has no bearing on the proceedings.

The starting player in the first race - the player who gets to roll first - is the last player to draft an athelete. The starting player in each subsequent race is the player who was furthest behind in the previous race.

It also sounds like you might be misunderstanding the draft. Let's say Bob's the first player. He puts the Cupid in the first draft space; he may either buy it for 4 or pass. If Bob buys the Cupid, he takes the athelete and a new athelete is placed in the 4 space. Carol (the next player) may either buy the new athelete for 4 or to pass.

If Bob passes, on the other hand, the Cupid immediately moves down to the 3 space and a new athelete is placed on the vacated 4-space. Carol then has three options: she may buy the Cupid for 3, she may buy the new athelete for 4, or she may pass. If she passes in turn, the Cupid is moved into the 2 space, the new athelete into the 3 space, and finally a third athelete is drawn from the deck and placed in the 4 space. Players may continue to pass until every space - from 4-0 - is occupied by atheletes, in which case the player is forced to buy an athelete on the board, even it's the one that costs 0.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Deb Wentworth
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank you so much - both of you! Even though I had read through the rules before posting, I was misunderstanding how the draft worked. I really appreciate the clarification - it's making sense now.

Deb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Goddammit! Quality and on time delivery are not mutually exclusive!
United States
Shelby Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Tonman and Sleightofhand - I read those rules at leat 5 times and never got that out of it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.