Popular Tags: [View All]
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey!

I'm trying to find a game that has all of those things:

1 A wargame, or at least a game with fighting in a form or another. And with actual fighting, not turtling.
2 Development aspect as an important part of the game: recruiting, improving units or technology; something like that. Not a game where you just set up a scenario and go at it.
3 Multiple kind of units.
4 Plays great with only 2 players (could be a 2-player only game, in fact)
5 Sweet minis or tokens are a plus but not a must.

What I am looking for could be somewhat like Starcraft the videogame. (NOT StarCraft: The Board Game, which we really dislike).

I already have War of the Ring, TI3, Nexus Ops, M44, Twilight Struggle and some block wargames.

I've been considering Runewars, but I'm worried the game experience could be too close to TI3, a slow game with not a lot of fighting.

I await your suggestions! meeple
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Danzer
Germany
Stuttgart
southwest
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How about Target Earth? Not really a "wargame", but you "develop" your bases with tanks, troops, and so on, and in the advanced you play semi-cooperatively against the aliens - each player with a hidden goal, despite of winning together against the extra-terrestrial invaders ...
Coming out at Essen ...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D. Don
France
Montpellier
Herault / Languedoc-Roussillon
flag msg tools
mbmb
The last days I have been drooling over Claustrophobia.

Seems to fit your bill!

D.Don
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew
Japan
Tokyo
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
C'mon guys, read the OP's requirements.

You've tried the leading recommendations Nexus Ops, StarCraft: The Board Game, and Twilight Imperium (Third Edition). In my single plays, Runewars didn't feel significantly more aggressive than StarCraft: The Board Game.

It's not out yet, but The Ares Project is based on real-time strategy games. The developers were disappointed that StarCraft: The Board Game was actually nothing like its RTS source material and wanted to address that.

An unusual option is Stronghold, which depicts a siege with both sides building war machines, training troops and casting spells on each other. However it has a strong Euro influence with VP, deterministic combat resolution, resource management, and the use of wooden cubes to represent units, so it might not be your thing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pone McPoneface
United States
Dublin
Ohio
flag msg tools
There is a road, no simple highway, between the dawn and the dark of night, and if you go no one may follow, that path is for your steps alone. Ripple in still water, when there is no pebble tossed, nor wind to blow.
badge
To seek the sacred river Alph, to walk the caves of ice, to break my fast on honey dew and drink the milk of paradise... I had heard the whispered tales of immortality, the deepest mystery, from an ancient book I took a clue.
mbmbmbmbmb
I would recommend taking a look at Viktory II. Has many of your requirements and is a very good game in my humble opinion. It is an independently created game and there is much more information about it at the website, http://www.viktorygame.com/

I hope you give it a look and wish you the best of luck finding what you need!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm curious about what it is your group doesn't like about StarCraft: The Board Game as it would be the very first thing that I'd think to suggest based on your list of requirements as it hits every single one of them spot on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kent Reuber
United States
San Mateo
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
One historical wargame that might fit the bill is Hitler's War. It includes a research track that allows each country to develop technologies that modify their fighting ability. The game is currently out of print, but it isn't that hard to find on eBay.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Boyll
United States
Kuna
Idaho
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Dust? I haven't played it yet so I don't know how the turtling or play time can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Miller
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wizard Kings would be a suggestion. But, I have many misgivings about making such a suggestion. Doesn't have tech really though.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Oklahoma City
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Try Throneworld. I've only played it a couple times, both with two, and with that number of people the early game is very slow as you build forces, but with an alternate set-up you could get into conflict faster.

Alternatively we might have just played it too conservatively; YMMV.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Was George Orwell an Optimist?
United States
Corvallis
Oregon
flag msg tools
Jackie McLean - Let Freedom Ring
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SPBTooL wrote:
Dust? I haven't played it yet so I don't know how the turtling or play time can be.

I'd say Dust is a great choice. If you turtle, you'll lose. You have to expand to gain resources, you use the resources in factories to build units. The units are very attractive plastic minis of various types. I figure I'm in synch with the O.P., as I also hated Starcraft.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanee
Germany
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:
I've been considering Runewars, but I'm worried the game experience could be too close to TI3, a slow game with not a lot of fighting.

While it was the first thing coming to mind, when I started reading your post, it might be exactly what you 'fear'.

It does have all you want, but the game is definitely somewhat slow and there is not a huge amount of fighting against the other players. There is quite a bit of fighting with neutral units, but those fights are not very tense, really. I wouldn't say it is just like TI3, though, but it is clearly similar in some aspects. I would say there is definitely more turtling than fighting in Runewars. It's a great game, nonetheless, if only a bit random.

Have you tried Warcraft? I havn't played it myself, but it might fit your requirements.

Ok, this might be a bit of a weird suggestion, but it covers your requirements (except, that it is actually not a wargame, but a game with lots of fighting, even though most of it against neutral units)... World of Warcraft: The Boardgame. It works well enough with just 2 controlling multiple heroes. And the parts you highlighted, the fighting and the development aspects are really fun.

How about Axis and Allies? The newer version is pretty nifty. Not sure how well it plays with just two players, though.

Bye
Thanee
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions; you guys are awesome! Keep'em coming!

DreadFuzzy wrote:
I'm curious about what it is your group doesn't like about StarCraft: The Board Game as it would be the very first thing that I'd think to suggest based on your list of requirements as it hits every single one of them spot on.

All the people in my gaming group hate/dislike StarCraft: The Board Game and we are all Starcraft videogame fans. If you really wanna know here are some of the reasons why:
-The boardgame is a slow, tedious affair. snore
-Not fighting is really the epitome of Starcraft. shake
-Reverse orders what the hell? gulp
-Yay my entire force is only 4-6 plastic minis. shake
-Combat card system is not exciting, since there is no strategy in choosing cards, since you recycle them a lot and choose the best one each time. soblue
-Feels too "brainy". I wanna get the feeling I'm playing Starcraft, not Caylus. arrrh
-Hurray, a single marine has defeated a Battlecruiser!!
-Let's develop some technologies so we can dilute our deck and get less chances of drawing what we need. robot
-The game end is sudden and anti-climactic? Oh well, we'd rather stop playing at this point anyway. modest
-Nexus Ops is what this game should aspire to be. devil

fateswanderer wrote:
An unusual option is Stronghold, which depicts a siege with both sides building war machines, training troops and casting spells on each other. However it has a strong Euro influence with VP, deterministic combat resolution, resource management, and the use of wooden cubes to represent units, so it might not be your thing.

I agree the cubes look kinda sad, but excellent suggestion that I will keep in mind!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, I'm certainly not going to try and change your mind on Starcraft (there would obviously be no point, and I agree that Nexus Ops is a great game) but I do have to wonder how in the world your group came to the conclusion that the boardgame involves NOT fighting!?! I certainly don't agree with the rest of your points but I can see how they might irk some people but that one absolutely baffles me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex

Québec
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
StarCraft: The Board Game rewards a defensive strategy. Attacking is long, arduous, complicated, and often disastrous. Not at all a game where a good brawl is to be had.

Furthermore, you can often make good points just sitting where you are instead of attacking.

I'm not saying it's a bad game, just really not for us.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michele Esmanech
Italy
Milano
Milano
flag msg tools
designer
Dystopian:the manhunt: a worker placement game of investigation, murder and mystery, set in the futuristic megapolis of DYSTOPIA
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well... what do you know: I am developing a game with the same exact intent: reproducing a RTS, into a boardgame. I have called it HORIZON: read here to learn all about it http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/571803/horizon-the-board-gam...

It's still an early work in progress, and I am playtesting it (fixing things as I go along) with a home made board, and GamesWorkshop's 40K Epic 6mm miniatures. I am also sculpting custom buildings, over hexes, though it can be played with templates and tokens, without the use of miniatures or 3D stuff.

When it'll be done, it will a PnP game, but, until then, I need all the help I can get: if you're interested in playtesting, and giving some feedback, advice, we would all benefit from it.

cheers
Mike
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JH
United States
Albany
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jellospike wrote:

The game is not like this in my experience. It's rather brisk and there's no shortage of combat if you're aggressive — and you have to be to get enough runes to win.

Some people have posted about low-conflict matches, but IMO it's simply a game that rewards picking your battles.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex U
United States
flag msg tools
I haven't played it yet, but I really want to:
Stellar Conquest
It's a long game with lots of record-keeping, but it fits requirements 1-4 perfectly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.