Combat Commander: Battle Pack #1 – Paratroopers» Forums » Rules

Subject: Scenario 27 -- Carentan Causeway rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Andy Burton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm a very new player of CC:E (but am already hooked enough to have bought Med, Normandy and Paratroop expansions!) so I may have missed something, but ...

Setup for Scenario 27 indicates the Axis start with a 30 VP lead. However, the specified Objective chits (D,H,N,L and R), which are assigned to Objectives 4 and 5, only total 20 VPs between them. Has anyone ever queried this or seen it as an item of Errata or FAQ ?

Thanks in anticipation of your comments.

Andy
Perth, Western Australia

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe C Faust
United States
Hartville
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just finished playing this one last week and wondered the same thing. I believe the difference is to balance out the the scenario by putting pressure on the American paratroopers to take the objectives as soon as possible. Otherwise, the first squads in could conceivably burn cards on worthless mortar attacks to run the time down enough for the entry of the reinforcements, one of whom has a pretty powerful radio.

My $0.02, anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aaron Cinzori
United States
Holland
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
If you take a look at the Random Scenario Generator, you'll see that starting victory points get adjusted for things like fortifications and radios as well as the on-board objectives. And for pre-made scenarios, the designer sometimes tweaks the starting victory points a bit more.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
boddekker wrote:
I just finished playing this one last week and wondered the same thing. I believe the difference is to balance out the the scenario by putting pressure on the American paratroopers to take the objectives as soon as possible. Otherwise, the first squads in could conceivably burn cards on worthless mortar attacks to run the time down enough for the entry of the reinforcements, one of whom has a pretty powerful radio.

My $0.02, anyway.

I see. Makes sense, although in our run at this scenario, two "Time" events in the first four Turns (one for each side) got things moving very rapidly. Add to that an eliminated MG42 ("Sniper" random hex result) and three broken German units in Objective 4 from the relentless artillery barrages meant it was looking exceedingly grim for the Axis when we had to call it quits for the night. Up to that point, I was expecting the only way for the Americans to win would be to wipe out the Germans entirely.

Thanks for your insights (and to Aaron, as well, for his reply).

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Buetow
United States
McHenry
Illinois
flag msg tools
Combat Commander Archivist
badge
Move! Advance! Fire! Rout! Recover! Artillery Denied! Artillery Request! Command Confusion...say what?!
mbmbmbmbmb
Andy: VPs do no always reflect only the objectives' values. They often include force and posture and other factors.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Burton
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that I think about it more, I realise that I hadn't accounted for the fact that control of an objective not only takes the relevant VPs off one side, it then adds them to the other. That is a new approach I will take some time getting used to.

Thanks to everyone who contributed comments...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Spacegras
Canada
St. John's
NL
flag msg tools
Bring on the hordes, we have the sword that smote the Goblin of Gygaxnor.
badge
HooDoo Operator
mbmbmbmbmb
Hey there, Played this twice in the last few days, solo, and I wondered the same thing about the spread in the VP at start up. Both times with a quick time deck, the Germans were able to chew up advancing Americans, quickly racking up points. I found that once a few US units went down, there was really no way (that I could see anyway) for the Americans to win, even with completely decimating the German units and taking control of all objectives.
Even with the points stacked against the Americans, I had a hell of alot of fun! The narative that began to flow out of the encounters were fodder for great war stories.

Chris

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce
United States
South Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
The Necronomicon: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FnbYcB9ctu8
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the limited German numbers and mass of U.S. reinforcements the scenario clearly seems geared towards the goal of the elimination of the German units rather than VPs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.