SPQR (Deluxe Edition)» Forums » Rules

Subject: Can two-hex units be rallied? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
JL Meseguer
Spain
flag msg tools
Hi,

In the Alexander module of GBoH, (9.65) clearly states that double size Phalanxes and Hoplites cannot be rallied, but I cannot find the same information in SPQR (I own the Deluxe version).

So, my question is, is it possible to rally a routed double size Phalanx? (so that it won't be eliminated in the Rout Movement phase).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Australia
Sebastopol (Ballarat)
Victoria
flag msg tools
That's Karl on the left. Eternity on the right.
badge
I love Melissa, but don't tell her. It's a secret if she can find this. Shhhhh....
mbmbmbmbmb
I think you may be on to something there JL! I've never picked up on that before, but I've played a lot more Alexander than SPQR to date...

I couldn't find anything in the rules or errata to contradict your interpretation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think, yes, it is possible to rally Phalanx *before* Rout Movement phase, when double hex units are eliminated as per Rout rules. This means naturally using a leader in the same turn that PH unit was routed (only possibility to do so). This case was discussed before on Consimworld, but I don`t remember when exactly (GBoH folder).

Somehow it`s possible only in SPQR Deluxe, which - from *rational* point of view - seems strange for me. Well...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Glassop
Australia
Dubbo
NSW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Given the special rules appying to Phalanxes I would favour not allowing a separate rally effort. I been in games where the Phalanxes bounce backwards and forwards like pinballs anyway without givng them another chance to live.

From another perspective, the 'simulation' one, it seems logical the mass of men in the Phalanx would be harder to break as they backed each other up (and the rear prssed forwards regardless) but that when they break they break for good. I know if I was one of them running away the first thing I'd drop would be my 18 foot spear, so even if the leader rallied me I would no longer be part of a Phalanx.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ryszard Tokarczuk
Poland
Kraków
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@802.qcM8bvezAN7.42@.ee6b...
and following until post no. 10214... also
http://talk.consimworld.com/WebX?13@802.qcM8bvezAN7.26@.ee6b...

Two "rule arguments+ for rallying PH units. It is Your game, so You can play as You want

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott
United States
Redding
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
RyTo wrote:
I think, yes, it is possible to rally Phalanx *before* Rout Movement phase, when double hex units are eliminated as per Rout rules.

This is how I've been playing it...

Doesn't mean its right though shake

Scott

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kev.
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
Read & Watch at www.bigboardgaming.com
There is this misperception that PH's and Hoplite combat was just a shoving match. There is little evidence to show that but much to prove that indeed the fighting was more than shoving from the rear.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.