Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't remember when I first remembered it. Clearly, I must have been driving into Boston at one point, rolling up Mass. Ave. toward Cambridge, and the shop sort of whizzed by on my left, in my periphery, and that first nudge of thought eased its way in: Haven't been there in forever.

Coming to the Geek has re-fired my urge to game. More to the point, my urge to spend money on games. (Though, of course, not too much. I is just a poor writer boy, after all.) The problem was finding the sorts of games that I saw here that piqued my interest. First useless stop: the toy store in the mall. Even as a burgeoning Geek I should have known better. Driving through my town, I saw a Hobbytown shop. Back in my gaming heyday Hobbytown had always been good for something. Not a game on the shelves here. If I wanted models, I was in the right place. But not games. Even tried Barnes & Noble when someone on BGG noted their 75% off sale. That appealed not only to my inner gamer, but to my inner cheap bastard as well. But the selection there only made me cry.

Comes a Saturday off, a day to spend with my son, and my mind drives me once again up Mass. Ave. To the shop. The Compleat Strategist. Why not? It's a 20-minute drive. Jack might like to check it out with me. And I haven't been there in years.

This was the place I was looking for. From the moment I set my eyes on the rows of shelves along the side wall, I felt as if I'd been sucked directly into the Geek. Here it all was, at last: Settlers, Zombies, Carcassone, Formula De...all now in glorious 3-D! I felt like I'd taken a pilgrimage to Mecca. Thankfully (and this will sound odd), I recently lost my job. If I hadn't, I can only imagine the damage I could do to my bank account here. But at least now I know it's here.

My inner Geek is at peace. I have found my Geeksoulhome. And it is 20 minutes away.

..j..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryant Garrigus
United States
Belmont
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
Depending on where that 20 minutes away you're coming from is, there might be a good FLGS closer to you. There's a great FLGS in Waltham,MA on pine(?) st., off of moody st., called Danger Planet. They have a good selection of board games, and an open board gaming night on Thursdays.

Doing some minor detective work, there's only two Hobbytowns in MA, one in Lexington, the other in Bellingham, and you know what Mass Ave is, so I'm guessing you live in Lexington, which means that Danger Planet is good and close.(I live in Belmont)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sue Hemberger

Washington
Dist of Columbia
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wow, that takes me back. I think that store was there when I was in college 20-some years ago.

Does MA still have a special tax on board games? I remember encountering it for the first time at that store and thinking "oh yeah, Puritans." But then I was a California girl first experiencing the east coast. And this was a time when blue laws were still in effect which, in practice, seemed to mean that all you could buy on Sundays was photocopies, drugs, and icecream!

Thanks for posting this -- I'll check out the store next time I visit. And here's hoping the FLGS isn't too much of a money pit. It's very nice to have one, but when I realize I've just paid $11 more for a board game and a card game than I would have paid online, the siren call dies down quite rapidly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually, I'm in Quincy--but Waltham's not so far! Argh! Inner Geek attack!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan
United States
Maitland
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Complete Strat is a pretty good store, but as someone else mentioned, you end up paying about 30% more for the games you'll be buying. I guess it depends on what you're looking for!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
Actually, I'm in Quincy--but Waltham's not so far! Argh! Inner Geek attack!

You should also check out Scholar's down in Bridgewater. Dave offers a wonderful selection of games, and offers a discount to Unity Games members. You can find more information about Scholar's and Danger Planet in the database section of the Unity Games yahoo group:

http://games.groups.yahoo.com/group/unity_games/

For more information on Unity Games, please visit:

http://www.unitygames.org/

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Very much appreciating the local tips! I had no idea there were so many fellow Geeks nearby!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ersatz Ursatz
United States
Ann Arbor
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There's also a FLGS called "The Games People Play" right on the 1100 block of Mass Ave in Cambridge, right down the street from Harvard Square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bobby Warren
United States
Glendale
Arizona
flag msg tools
designer
badge
La cheeserie!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
Very much appreciating the local tips! I had no idea there were so many fellow Geeks nearby!

From what I've seen, you live in Geek Central! Phil's a prime example of them!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Shanahan
United States
Quincy
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Lived in Cambridge for 5 years, so I definitely know Games People Play. And having grown up in Whitman, finding my way to Scholar's will be easy, too. I assume it's right in the center?

The next question is...do any of you local geeks have a regular game night?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Alberg
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
Whoopee Doopee, we have fun!
badge
You lost the game!
mbmbmbmbmb
Shanahan wrote:
Lived in Cambridge for 5 years, so I definitely know Games People Play. And having grown up in Whitman, finding my way to Scholar's will be easy, too. I assume it's right in the center?

Yes.

Quote:
The next question is...do any of you local geeks have a regular game night?

In a word: YES. Check out the calendar at the aforementioned Unity Games yahoo group website. In the greater Boston area there are weekly groups that meet every day except for Wednesdays and Sundays, I believe. Scholar's sponsors gaming at Cole Hall every Friday night. I'm a regular at Mark's Guy Stuff Gamers, which meets every Tuesday night in South Attleboro. It may be a longish drive for you, but you're more than welcome to attend. Please email offlist for more information.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.