Popular Tags: [View All]
Garry Rice
United States
Perkasie
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll be curious to see if and/or how soon we might start to see pricing change for different payment methods or different types of credit cards now that merchants are officially allowed to offer tiered pricing...

http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/10/08/will-paying-with-pl...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Ludlow
United States
Saint Louis Park
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Haven't gas stations been offering cash discounts for years?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K Septyn
United States
Unspecified
Michigan
flag msg tools
SEKRIT MESSAGE SSSHHHHHHHHH
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jdludlow wrote:

Heh, I like how you said "discounts", as if that's what they're doing. It's a fee on the transaction type to balance out the fee they're charged by the credit card companies. And there's probably a little extra profit in there as well.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brandon M
United States
Branchburg
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Septyn wrote:
jdludlow wrote:

Heh, I like how you said "discounts", as if that's what they're doing. It's a fee on the transaction type to balance out the fee they're charged by the credit card companies. And there's probably a little extra profit in there as well.

They call it a cash discount because Visa and Mastercard prohibit merchants from charging a fee to use a credit card, but they do allow merchants to offer a cash discount.

On the other hand Amex allows merchants to add a fee, but only if it applies to every non-cash form of payment.

My local game store just requires a minimum purchase of $5 to use a credit card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Morris
Canada
Coquitlam
British Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Actually as far as I know (I've been told this by a bank manager, so take it for what it is I guess) this offering a discount for cash prices is still against the merchant license agreement. Computer stores here in Edmonton have been doing it for years and if you threaten to call Visa/MC and complain they will waive the "fee" and give you the item at the same price. It's a violation of their agreement and they could have their license revoked and loose the ability to do credit card purchases. I believe this now also includes debit card purchases since they use the same hardware. Being "cash only" is almost suicide for most businesses...

I practice the policy of not giving my money to businesses who follow this cash discount practice.

From my understanding the agreement states that the price charged can not be different than than for any other purchase method. They have removed the word "fee" to avoid the above work around. I have not read any merchant agreements, but this is what I have been told. I have also discussed this in the past with a phone rep from Visa as well.

In any case bring this up with your local store owner and make it clear to them this is against the rules. Explain that continuing this practice could result in the loss of their merchant license and I think you'll see the discounted price now applies to credit cards as well.

As for the minimum purchase I seem to remember this being a clause in my credit card agreement back when I read such forms(I think it was $10). Then again that was back before you could pay for parking or rent a movie from a vending machine on the street...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Shaw
United States
North Dakota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Android wrote:
Actually as far as I know (I've been told this by a bank manager, so take it for what it is I guess) this offering a discount for cash prices is still against the merchant license agreement. Computer stores here in Edmonton have been doing it for years and if you threaten to call Visa/MC and complain they will waive the "fee" and give you the item at the same price. It's a violation of their agreement and they could have their license revoked and loose the ability to do credit card purchases. I believe this now also includes debit card purchases since they use the same hardware. Being "cash only" is almost suicide for most businesses...

I practice the policy of not giving my money to businesses who follow this cash discount practice.

From my understanding the agreement states that the price charged can not be different than than for any other purchase method. They have removed the word "fee" to avoid the above work around. I have not read any merchant agreements, but this is what I have been told. I have also discussed this in the past with a phone rep from Visa as well.

In any case bring this up with your local store owner and make it clear to them this is against the rules. Explain that continuing this practice could result in the loss of their merchant license and I think you'll see the discounted price now applies to credit cards as well.

As for the minimum purchase I seem to remember this being a clause in my credit card agreement back when I read such forms(I think it was $10). Then again that was back before you could pay for parking or rent a movie from a vending machine on the street...

I think I'm the opposite. If a company offers a cash discount, especially a Gas Station...I'm more likely to shop from them.

This is in part because of my budgeting to typically only carry cash in my pocket.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hopcroft
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Many convenience stores charge a 50 cent surcharge for cards under a minimum amount. If it's against the agreement, I'm not going to call them on it because the fees charged by the card companies would be ruinous on a 99-cent soft drink refill if that's all I'm getting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.