Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
gandalftheking wrote:
Yes, yes I'm not a prude by any stretch, and virtually all of the ads on bgg for play for free games have 'cartoonish' scantily clad women on them - why, god only knows, but anyway... I think that the TLE ad that has been running of late is pushing the boundary a little too far "south". I've seen good websites gradually change over the years; what next? dating ads? improve your manhood?...

I'm interested in the bgg community views on this.

Thanks

Poll
Ads that include cleavage/partial nudity, whether cartoon or otherwise, should not be allowed onto the site.
Agree
Disagree
      61 answers
Poll created by gandalftheking

Option 3:
Users who dislike ads, should pay for ad-block.

(edit: added quote of OP because he mentioned considering 'pulling his post' below.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:
Option 3:
Users who dislike adds, should pay for add-block.

Option 4:

Users who demand other users pay for ad-block help finance said purchases.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lajos
Japan
Hachiouji
Tokyo
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmb
J.L.Robert wrote:
Option 4:

Users who demand other users pay for ad-block help finance said purchases.

Good point.
Let me rephrase:
Users who complain about ads should either pay for ad-block or stop complaining.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mousey
Netherlands
Je suis Paris
flag msg tools
ESSEN The Game: SPIEL '13 Featuring Jonah
badge
RIP Jonah Lomu 1975-2015
mbmbmbmbmb
gandalftheking wrote:
Y what next? dating ads? improve your manhood?...

It might not be BGG that selects the adds you see but it might be yourself!

As you might have noticed, some of the adds you see are of things you looked up in your browser before. So if you see a lot of adds about "fill in your secret searches" you will see adds about that.

2 weeks ago I was looking for a new cellphone, since then I have had mostly adds for cellphones.

So give it a try, look at a lot of Christmas sites and be amazed at all those wonderful adds you will be seeing
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Nicholls
United Kingdom
Redruth
Cornwall
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Mousey wrote:
gandalftheking wrote:
Y what next? dating ads? improve your manhood?...

It might not be BGG that selects the adds you see but it might be yourself!

As you might have noticed, some of the adds you see are of things you looked up in your browser before. So if you see a lot of adds about "fill in your secret searches" you will see adds about that.

2 weeks ago I was looking for a new cellphone, since then I have had mostly adds for cellphones.

So give it a try, look at a lot of Christmas sites and be amazed at all those wonderful adds you will be seeing

well, ive not been looking at cleavage sites - my post would be hypocritical then wouldn't it... i may pull this post; i thought it may generate a more useful debate. never mind.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Geoff Hall
United Kingdom
Yate
Bristol
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Lajos wrote:

Option 3:
Users who dislike ads, should pay for ad-block.

(edit: added quote of OP because he mentioned considering 'pulling his post' below.)

Pay? Just use a proper browser and install one of the free plug-ins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walt
United States
Orange County
California
flag msg tools
Before terraforming Mars, Surviving Mars is required: Paradox Interactive; Steam.
badge
Please contact me about board gaming in Orange County.
mbmbmbmbmb
DreadFuzzy wrote:
Just use a proper browser and install one of the free plug-ins.

And that's a real problem. I generally like BGG ads. The ones from OLGS's and board game publishers are especially interesting, but even the web game ads have an occasional gem(craft). But so many other sites have abusive, annoying ads, I've been forced to install Those plug-ins; unfortunately, BGG uses the same ad services as the abusive sites. So, the only ad I see is Tanga. Yeah, Elvis Yahtzee. I'm going to run right out and get that. shake

I think BGG needs to bring more advertisers on-site, as I've noticed CNN and others doing. Blocking plug-ins are just too easy to get, and I like seeing ads from Rio Grande, Argentum Verlag, and so forth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
How come everyone NEGLECTS to mention you can also "ad block" on BGG using? bag It isn't available for anywhere ELSE that I am aware of on utilizing this 'method'!
cool
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Henrik Havighorst
Germany
Haltern am See
NRW
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Remind me, what is wrong with cleavages again ? Or is it another case of men being scared by the power of women ? And don't start your "using women to sell things" routine. Every ad is selling something via "using" other things by definition.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.L. Robert
United States
Sherman Oaks
California
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Follow me for wargames!
mbmbmbmbmb
Looks like the OP wimped out and deleted his post. Shame he wasn't willing to back it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Saint Joseph
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
I would do all the things I have ever dreamed of doing. I would love to become a professional whistler.I'm pretty amazing at it now, but I wanna get, like, even better. Make my living out of it.
badge
Bffffttt, Pffffttt, Buuuuurtt........
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm intrigued and would like to sign up for your newsletter. Can I get a trial membership in this cult?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I wonder what people against cleavage do when they have to walk down the street or even go to the beach?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.