Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I painted my Descent set using the Dip Method about a year ago. I used Minwax Walnut as the dip, and after the stain dried for a few days, covered with a matte spray varnish. The results were great. However, some of the minis are getting tacky. The only supplies that ever changed was the brand of the matte spray. Has anyone else experienced this? I store them in a cool, dry location. The thing that has me puzzled is that its only in a small number of them. If it were a problem with the method itself, I'd expect them all to start feeling tacky.... but its only a few sets of monsters.

Anyone have tips to combat this?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mb
HOW about setting those in front of some "not-quite-hot air" blowing out of some VENT? If you could 'mask' with say 'cheesecloth', or linen, etc. over the clothes DRYER venting upon these, then what about with trying out that method? Let's us know if you had and if it worked, so good luck.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Johnson
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well....I had alot of trouble with my "Last Night on Earth" minis getting tacky. Some more than others. I had primed them and then sealed them after painting, so I couldn't understand. There are many threads in that forum about it.

Some people tried quickly dipping the painted minis in mineral spirits to degas? them. Didn't work for me.
Some suggested several different types of sealer. I tried two different sealers on top of the original. Didn't work for mine.

Finally after trying all the remedies, they were looking pretty bad and still tacky. I considered buying a new set of minis and starting over convinced I had got a bad batch of paint or something.

Since I'm pretty broke and there are other new games I want to buy, I looked into stripping the existing minis and repainting.

BEST MOVE I EVER MADE

Yeah it sucked to lose all the work, but I enjoy the painting anyway so...

I soaked them in "Simple Green" for a few days, and then used an old toothbrush to scrub them pretty clean. Then I started over with the same primer, paint, and sealer. They came out perfect!

The moral of the story I believe is that unless you pre-soak them in a cleanser to get all the mold residue off from the factory you have a chance of issues with your finish..

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Dodd
New Zealand
Martinborough
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Limited Access - Wellycon XI - Back 5th June 2018
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, it sounds like the only variable is the condition of the figure before the first paint has gone on. Even greasy fingers can cause painting problems.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Dale
Australia
Moggill
Queensland
flag msg tools
designer
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn
badge
When will the die stop rolling? What face finishes showing?
mbmbmbmbmb
You could always try washing them and then varnishing them anew.

- Pauli
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
paulidale wrote:
You could always try washing them and then varnishing them anew.

- Pauli

Wash with just soapy water? Or some other mix?

To give more detail, I scrubbed all minis prior to painting using soapy water and a tootbrush. I did not handle them with my fingers, other than to stick them on the end of a dowel with sticky tack. I'm wondering if humidity played a part, as I did this over the course of many months, and there were a few that I left to dry in the garage while it was hot and humid out. Thing is, I can't remember if those were the same ones that are getting tacky now, or not.

The dip method is the only "wash" I've done on painted miniatures, and outside of this new development, I was a big fan of the ease of that method. I'm sort of a noob at this, so I don't know of any other methods for washing the minis (using ink and such).... anyone have a good recipe I could try as an alternative? I'm working on my Adventurers minis right now, and still have some Descent heroes to finish up. And now that I think about it, my copy of Doom has grey minis that have started barking.... zombie Oh, my...what have I started...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
darthTurambar wrote:
I painted my Descent set using the Dip Method about a year ago. I used Minwax Walnut as the dip, and after the stain dried for a few days, covered with a matte spray varnish. The results were great. However, some of the minis are getting tacky. The only supplies that ever changed was the brand of the matte spray. Has anyone else experienced this? I store them in a cool, dry location. The thing that has me puzzled is that its only in a small number of them. If it were a problem with the method itself, I'd expect them all to start feeling tacky.... but its only a few sets of monsters.

Anyone have tips to combat this?

Thanks!

Hello,

What brand of paint and spray varnish did you use ?

Regards,

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cory Gerleman
United States
Adel
Iowa
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Not for sure what the brands were... they've since run out and I've thrown them out. But what gets me was that I was at least consistent in all the preparation and painting for the whole set. That's why I'm puzzled that only a small number of them are behaving this way. I coated them with another round of matte varnish and it seemed to help a little bit. I'll probably just live with it, versus trying to strip it all off and start again. It's not like it makes a big mess, but it is a bit annoying when you're handling them...

Thanks for all the help, guys.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Hey, I've created a video channel! Hover over my avatar to get more info! :) - Josh -
Canada
Cambridge
Ontario
flag msg tools
My video channel has a Facebook page - Find it by searching "Josh Yaks page" on Facebook
badge
Find my video channel on YouTube as "Josh Yaks"!
mbmbmbmbmb
teejay wrote:
Well....I had alot of trouble with my "Last Night on Earth" minis getting tacky.

I had the exact same problem with my LNOE minis. Then another BGGer mentioned he used this clear spray shellac...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Zinsser-Clear-Spray-Shellac/dp...

...for some other tacky minis, and I tried it on my figures. The stickiness is completely gone, and I couldn't be happier! Just so you know, it will leave quite a shiny gloss, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Hébert
United States
Topeka
Kansas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
squash wrote:
Then another BGGer mentioned he used this clear spray shellac...

http://www.amazon.com/Rockler-Zinsser-Clear-Spray-Shellac/dp...

...for some other tacky minis, and I tried it on my figures. The stickiness is completely gone, and I couldn't be happier! Just so you know, it will leave quite a shiny gloss, but that doesn't bother me at all.

Tried a quart of this shellac (got it at my local hardware store, smallest size they had) and it's AMAZING. Best sealant for mini's ever. Funny, I don't mind the shine, either, although I thought I would and was prepared to go back over parts with a matte afterward.

The minis are nice and rigid, completely non-sticky, and survive pretty rough handling without chipping. I'm sold on it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John "Omega" Williams
United States
Kentwood
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Small note from other firlds of plastics.

On occasion you will also see unexpected reactions between plastic minis and paints. The factor here is the solvents used in the paint reacting with those in the plastic.

One bad example I had was learning that modelling pain reacts with FIMO.

On anoter one I somehow ended up with modelling paint melting the mini. Weirdest thing ever.

Unfortunately reactions are so situational and varied sometimes you dont know why it happened or what fixed it. If anything.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.