Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Last night, I played the Hoax and laid waste to both the Khind and the Terrah decks. I constantly had my opponent on the defensive. In light of our earlier Hoax conversations, I thought I'd try to lay out what combos did the most damage.

d10-1*First of all, I had my opponent cursing Ciklarethas the Bitter, the 3-3 character with Retrieve. He made a few appearances early in the game, and finally left the board after helping cause a retreat. Likewise, the Battling Boomerang 2-2 booster with Retrieve.

d10-2*It's nice to lead with Sarogakanas the Ancient (1-1 character, who draws and discards two cards from opponent's hand) somewhere in the mid-game when you might catch a couple of good cards from the other player.

d10-3*Being able to lay down a decent-sized value along with the support card Brain Drain (You may not play more than one card) can cause an immediate retreat. Very nice against Khind. Needless to say, having Brain Drain and some other booster or support and playing Hank Highflyer Hawk (0-0, Your character cards are ignored) is deadly. Possibly overkill.

d10-4*Duplicator of Strength is a very strong support card which doubles the earth value of any active character card.

d10-5*Always nice to play the Muster Reinforcements leadership card, which allows you to draw five cards.

d10-6*The benefits of Inscrutable Armor (0-0 booster with a fire shield) and the mutant Var-dis-Nar (4-4 with shields) are already well known.

Anyway, Hoax has been clicking for me lately. How about the rest of you?

Rex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Re:Encouraged by the Hoax
orangeblood (#447385),

Sounds like a full recovery As for your second suggestion, try Sarogakanas the Ancient as the SECOND character you play in a battle and boost him with the Potion of Prodigious Passion (The value of one of my character cards increases to 5).

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Kearns
United States
Bloomington
Indiana
flag msg tools
Silence is golden.
badge
Your sea is so great and my boat is so small.
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood (#447385),

While I still think that playing the Hoax is an uphill battle for me, I do like them quite a bit. And I do get the feeling that once I'm up to full speed with them, they could be the strongest deck.

Maybe it's all the losing I did with them to set the tone, but I definitely feel a bond with these guys. Plus, they have the coolest weaponry. Trebuchet of Fear? Rock on! thumbsup

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood (#447385),

The Hoax are definitely up there with my favorites, probably second only to the Mimix. They have some excellent card combos, and learning which cards work well together is definitely key.

Try this combo, if you can get it:

Bethenitana the Storyteller: "If you retreat I attract one additional dragon"
+

Trigger Brainstorm: "On this turn I may play any number of support cards"

+

Brain Drain: "On your turn you may not play more than one card."

+

Whatever other support cards you may have to make it even nastier (like Tome of Wisdom - 3/3 and/or Enthrall Opposition "Your special power texts are ignored".)

This well timed play can mean an almost guaranteed three dragon battle if you can get yourself to six cards.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian wrote:

Sounds like a full recovery As for your second suggestion, try Sarogakanas the Ancient as the SECOND character you play in a battle and boost him with the Potion of Prodigious Passion (The value of one of my character cards increases to 5).

Yep, that sounds even better.

By the way, it wasn't me having trouble with the Hoax earlier. I believe it was Daniel Kearns and Alex Rockwell, which is intriguing because they're both veteran gamers. I think it's not because of unbalanced decks, but because different people see things in different ways.

Daniel's note above that he's playing better with Hoax is encouraging. Now I'm waiting for Alex to report back.

Rex

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk wrote:

This well timed play can mean an almost guaranteed three dragon battle if you can get yourself to six cards.

Yikes, wicked. I wonder how hard it is to save up all those cards in your hand?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
orangeblood (#447663),

Sorry for the case of mistaken identity.

So I just got trounced as the Vulca today playing against a completely green newbie playing the Khind. Observations forthcoming in another thread...

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Smith
United Kingdom
Colchester
Unspecified
flag msg tools
mb
jeffk (#447646),

Bethenitana the Storyteller: "If you retreat I attract one additional dragon"

I think you mean Redamikanas the Cartographer - it's him who's got the additional dragon special text...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
AxonDomini
United States
Smithtown
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
vigornian (#447817),

Oops! You're right. Bethenitana is "If I retreat you may not attract dragons." Very nice with Inscrutable Armor if you're in a high fire fight and your opponent has a lot of cards on the table.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jeffk (#447881),

Well, I've only managed to play one more game, but I want to try to play some more soon.

I taught it to a newbie, gave them Vulca, took Hoax, and won, with one dragon as I ran out of cards (opponent had 2 cards left, also almost out).

I also felt I got lucky, drawing a couple key cards at very good times. I also was able to counter the "if you retreat I attrack one additional dragon" vulca card, with the Armor + the Hoax character that if I retreat, you dont attract dragons.

Brain Drain helped me win a battle. The last 3 times I played Brain Drain, it was countered by a card that destroyed my support cards, and then I lost...

Anyway, I felt like with luck, versus a completely new palyer, I barely, barely won. I need to play it more.

Also, I think one think I was doing wrong with the Hoax before was using the 3/3 retrieve character a lot when I got him. This game, I played him only 2 times. Playing him so often before caused me to not draw as many cards, and then I only had a bunch of lower powered cahracters than my opponent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Ok, played with Hoax against Vulca 4 times alst night. Won all four!! (Never 4-0 though, wins were for 1, 2, 2, 3 poitns).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Alexfrog (#449022),

Can you share any details on what's been different between these games and the games that the Vulca had dominated?

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Octavian (#449146),

I'll try.

#1) This time, I wasnt using the Hoax retreive cards over and over, retrieving them at every chance. Especially the 3/3 character guy. Previously, I jsut kept playing those same cards over and over. And not drawing nearly as much.

#2) I was often choosing to 2nd in the battles whenever I had a decent support card, and didnt have some really small character I wanted to get rid of. Thus, I got to play a support card first. When I wasnt doing this, it was because I really wanted to play earth. Several times, this meant just discardin the weaker card in my hand for new cards, when it was my turn to start a battle.

#3) I was building up some strong support setup, with a +2 out, and then following with a combination of character + support which both put out a big number and limited my opponents options. Stuff like Brain drain was especially helpful. As were a couple of the character abilities. I was trying to time these big setups so that I reached 6 cards as the big blow occurred, and I tried to have one more thing I could do after it, if they managed to come up with a counter to the first one.

#4) In battles where my opponent got out really good support stuff, instead of killing myself trying to win, and eventually losing 2 dragons and using up everything good, I would just retreat before he got 6 cards out.

#5) We realized how the leadership card that cancels opponents special text actually works. I thought it was just on the character cards before, but its everything. SO I used it to cancel the card that if they win they get an extra dragon, and canceled fire wall so I could draw.

#6) I didnt put up huge earth attacks when my opponent had a good chance of having the mutant. Instead, I tried to put up a 5 or 6 several times in a row (+2 support plus a couple larger guys, for example). Only after the mutant was played, would I lay down some huge earth attack number costing me a lot of resources. (And the support card that doubles my earth value, I would save until after the mutant was played).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Wills
Australia
Panania
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
orangeblood wrote:
Last night, I played the Hoax and laid waste to both the Khind and the Terrah decks. I constantly had my opponent on the defensive. In light of our earlier Hoax conversations, I thought I'd try to lay out what combos did the most damage.

d10-2*It's nice to lead with Sarogakanas the Ancient (1-1 character, who draws and discards two cards from opponent's hand) somewhere in the mid-game when you might catch a couple of good cards from the other player.

I actually like Sarogakanas in the end game, when the other player is down to 8-10 cards.

If the other player hasn't been card counting (myself and my fellow players don't), then they will get a large shock when two cards (which presumably they were saving for some wins in the end game) disappear from their hand (even better if you deplete them of characters). That is why it is best to hit them with 8+ - if they have 6 they may then dump a leadership card, retreat and then call it a day (which may or may not be a good thing). But with 8+ it is likely they will have to endure a second battle (which is particularly good if you have more cards than them, allowing for some big earth displays). It is particularly harrowing for the Vulca when you destroy their Charm Holy Dragon card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I actually like Sarogakanas in the end game, when the other player is down to 8-10 cards.

That sounds good, especially when combined with try Sarogakanas the Ancient (The value of one of my character cards increases to 5) as MMM suggested.

Quote:
That is why it is best to hit them with 8+ - if they have 6 they may then dump a leadership card, retreat and then call it a day (which may or may not be a good thing). But with 8+ it is likely they will have to endure a second battle

So if they have six cards, they could get down to five, and then retreat. There is still not a way for them to avoid another battle, is there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew M
United States
New Haven
Connecticut
flag msg tools
admin
8/8 FREE, PROTECTED
badge
513ers Assemble!
mb
Quote:
Alexfrog wrote:
#2) I was often choosing to 2nd in the battles whenever I had a decent support card, and didnt have some really small character I wanted to get rid of. Thus, I got to play a support card first. When I wasnt doing this, it was because I really wanted to play earth. Several times, this meant just discardin the weaker card in my hand for new cards, when it was my turn to start a battle.

#4) In battles where my opponent got out really good support stuff, instead of killing myself trying to win, and eventually losing 2 dragons and using up everything good, I would just retreat before he got 6 cards out.

Two things:

#4 is absolutely crucial to good Blue Moon play in general, and will serve you well in any match you play.

#2 is an interesting thing to consider. I typically don't defer unless it's to control the endgame or if I'm in dire need of Characters - it seems wasteful otherwise. But if you can predict what element your opponent will choose (as when you fight Vulca or Terrah) I can see how it might be useful. Evenso, I can't imagine doing this with constructed decks, as there would presumably be less in the deck that I'd be okay with throwing away.

-MMM

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I typically don't defer unless it's to control the endgame or if I'm in dire need of Characters - it seems wasteful otherwise.

Hm. Well, here's a rule I've been playing wrong. The rules seem to indicate that discarding a card is optional when declining to start a fight:

"However, instead of starting a fight, a player may decide to discard one, two or three cards from his hand during the “Retreat from Fight” phase."

Having just checked the FAQ and finding "(note that discarding zero cards is not an option)," I see I was wrong. But I think you can see the ambiguity with the word "may," and it may be misread by blockheads other than me.

If Chris is reading this thread still, perhaps it warrants a question of its own in the FAQ.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Rockwell
United States
Lynnwood
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Hm. Well, here's a rule I've been playing wrong. The rules seem to indicate that discarding a card is optional when declining to start a fight:

"However, instead of starting a fight, a player may decide to discard one, two or three cards from his hand during the “Retreat from Fight” phase."

Having just checked the FAQ and finding "(note that discarding zero cards is not an option)," I see I was wrong. But I think you can see the ambiguity with the word "may," and it may be misread by blockheads other than me.

If Chris is reading this thread still, perhaps it warrants a question of its own in the FAQ.

You cant discard 0. That would allow both players to do it repeatedly, and the game couldnt end. I have had a situation where both players wanted to discard 0 cards...

In my reading of it, it was clear you couldnt discard 0. I read ti as "You MAY fight, or you MAY discard to decline the fight. If you discard, discard 1, 2, or 3 cards....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Moore
United States
Woodbridge
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
I read ti as "You MAY fight, or you MAY discard to decline the fight. If you discard, discard 1, 2, or 3 cards....

Right, I see that now. And it makes sense, especially the part about both players continually passing.

I just think it's awkwardly phrased in the rules. It should say something like:

"However, instead of starting a fight, a player may decide decline to start a fight. He does this by discarding one, two or three cards from his hand during the “Retreat from Fight” phase."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Dearlove
United Kingdom
Chelmsford
Essex
flag msg tools
SoRCon 11 23-25 Feb 2018 Basildon UK http://www.sorcon.co.uk
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I think the comment there is should cover it. But note that there is one case it describes that allows a zero discard due to there being no alternative.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.