Subject: Solitaire Game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brian Decker
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Just tried out the solitaire game today and had a question. You and the purple figure start off of the path to the left of the first row, and the red figure starts off of the path to the left of the 4th row. Since the opponent figures are supposed to move prior to phase 1, does the game start by them moving on to the first card of each row? This would effectively put you behind the 8-ball from the start. Or do they not begin to move until you've completed your first task and have yourself moved on to the path?

Wondering because my first card in this game happened to be the "All other figures are ahead of you" one. If I went for the 2nd interpretation, a) I could only achieve this by paying tribute since the purple one could never advance ahead of me and b) I could have effectively held the game in stasis until I had built up a huge amount of cash, sprinting through the game.

I opted for the opponents jumping out in front of me. It seemed like the constant time crunch is how the game was designed to be played, but if the first card had instead been something like "have 8 beans planted in your fields" I would have had to quickly earn myself a coin to not fall behind too far (or have Red win outright). I suppose that's how it is in solitaire games, sometimes you just don't get a very good draw. I ended up ekeing out a victory one space ahead of Mr. Purple this time, and had a lot of fun in the process. Thoughts?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Brian, I think you're right, that purple (and thus red) start advancing immediately. In your game that worked out well. In my most recent solitaire, my first brambles card was "Your bean fields are empty," so I just barely got the jump on purple... for a moment.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Decker
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Thanks for the response. It's good to get some reassurance when things aren't expressly stated. As in most cases, though, what works best in play is generally the way to go. I'll have to give solitaire some more goes and see how it plays with different card configurations.

Been busy playing some 2 and 3 player games lately instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Due to the trickier, more restrictive nature of Ladybohn: Manche mögen's heiss!, Bohnröschen is generally more challenging to play with that than with Bohnanza, but if the cards fall fortunately, you can really rake in the gold via the lady beans, and buy your way through the brambles quite quickly. ...of course, if those pesky babies wreck your harvests, Bean Rose will never see your scratched-up face.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Decker
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Interesting, that does make sense. I picked up Ladybohn:MMH! when I was in Germany this summer, but have not given it a go either by itself or with this yet. We should be getting to it soon, but I think Bohnedikt is up on the queue for the next time we pull the beans out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Morse
United States
Powell
Ohio
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm ashamed to say that I still haven't played my Bohnedikt. soblue I need to rectify that situation.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.