27 Posts
1 , 2  Next »   | 

Descent: Journeys in the Dark» Forums » Rules

Subject: Question on Weapon Abilities/Surge usage. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
marky mark
msg tools
We're having some trouble figuring out whether you can stack a weapon's abilities. Searches seem to have mixed results so here's two exact scenarios.

Shillelagh

~ +1 damage
~~ +3 damage

So if I roll ~~, I'm adding 2 damage. But if I roll ~~~ can I add +4 damage use use both those options? If I roll ~~~~ can I get +6 damage by using the ~~ ability twice?

That is hampering us. Likewise the Staff of Fire.

~+1 damage
~+1 range

with ~~ can I do each? With ~~~ can I do +2 damage, +1 range?

This game's awesome, just want to make sure we're not being too powerful and breaking it. Thank you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You spend a surge one the ability. So in the case of Shillelagh, if you have 2 surges and you spent them both on the +3 damage, you have no surges left to spend. If you have 3 surges, you can spend them either 3 times on the +1 (which is silly), or spend 2 surges on the +3 and then 1 surge on the +1. If you have 4 surges, you can get the +3 damage ability twice.

Same with the Staff of Fire, you decide which ability you wish to spend the surges on, and you can do it as many time as you have surges to spend them on.

Keep in mind too, it's not just the surges you roll, but also any extra abilities that give you surges (such as Landrec the Wise's ability).

-shnar
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Hey Shnar;

Thanks for the help. That's excellent.

Since you're up; Can you use fatigue points to try and get out of web? Web's tough! Any advice for dealing with it?

(We're in game right now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No you cant, but if you are playing RtL or SoB, its "easier" to remove the webs.You roll 1 black dice plus one additional black power die for each die of Melee trait the hero has.
Otherwise just 1 black dice per web token(and pray )
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz is correct, don't really have much to add (one of the few saving graces for Master Spiders).

And geeze you're up late gaming. Or is it you're up early? On a Monday morning?

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Thanks again. Wishful thinking on our part. He's webbed in town while I sit in the middle of the fray. Great game, very entertaining and well designed. We're having a blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Webbed in town? How'd that happen? When you're webbed, you cannot spend Movement Points, and it costs 1MP to use a glyph (unless you're playing RtL)...

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Oh hey;

With 'dark charm' does the OL get to use the surges of my weapon against me when he makes me attack myself? (happening right now)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In Spain its 8 in the Morning, Monday=P.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
He was webbed near a glyph, and has telekensis so he hopped on the glyph. Now I'm stabbing myself.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Oops! Now I have to tell them we couldn't make the town glyph. Awkward, thanks for pointing that out.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
Oh hey;

With 'dark charm' does the OL get to use the surges of my weapon against me when he makes me attack myself? (happening right now)

Aye he can.

Quote:
The overlord controls the hero for that attack, including
the hero’s use of surges and power dice. The overlord may
also play cards such as “Aim” with the attack. However,
the overlord player cannot move the character, or force
the hero to spend fatigue to add to the attack. The hero no
longer benefits from any heroes with Command, but does
receive a bonus from any of the Overlord's figures with
command.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
Oh hey;

Yes, the attack is effectively a "normal" attack, so all surges can be spent as usual. Even special abilities and skills that automatically affect attacks are used. The OL cannot force you to spend fatigue though.

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Krulz wrote:
In Spain its 8 in the Morning, Monday=P.

Yeah, I know. I figured if in the Western Hemisphere, it's extremely late to be playing. If in the Eastern, extremely early especially on a Monday morning

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
He was webbed near a glyph, and has telekensis so he hopped on the glyph. Now I'm stabbing myself.

Telekenesis does allow him to move himself onto to glyph, but it still costs 1 movement point to activate the glyph, which TK cannot do for him. But eh, not that big of a deal since this is you're first time through (at least it sounds like it), you're bound to make a few mistakes, and this one isn't that critical

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Yep, first game. Only two heros and we forgot a lot of useful options at the beginning (Battle, surge powers) so we are on last legs right now about to lose.

Thank you for the help though b/c I feel like we'll be ready for the next game, which'll start in 15 minutes or so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
For sorcery, you can straight add those points to damage, not having to roll right? Sorcery 3 can equal 3 guaranteed blows?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryce K. Nielsen
United States
Elk Ridge
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Either damage or range, your choice, but not both. By that I mean each point of Sorcery is applied to either damage or range. You can mix them (i.e. if you have Sorcery 3, you can apply it as 1 to range, 2 to damage) but one point of Sorcery is not applied to both damage and range.

And that's 3 extra damage (assuming you have the range necessary to hit and you do not roll an X) before armor is applied (i.e. you may still not have enough damage to cause any wounds if attacking a highly armored enemy).

-shnar

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
Yeah, the sorcery did us in. Turns out we didn't even buy equipment at the beginning of the game, we seriously gimped ourselves.

We're buying gear now and starting again. If Runemaster Thorn buys armor (reducing movement to under 5) does his teleport no longer work since it's 5 movement? Or can you sub in fatigue points to do it?

Game 2!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Try to play with 4 heroes, game isnt really balanced with less(like 2 Heroes each)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
Yeah, the sorcery did us in. Turns out we didn't even buy equipment at the beginning of the game, we seriously gimped ourselves.

We're buying gear now and starting again. If Runemaster Thorn buys armor (reducing movement to under 5) does his teleport no longer work since it's 5 movement? Or can you sub in fatigue points to do it?

Game 2!

As long as he spent 5 MP he can do it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
marky mark
msg tools
On interrupt attacks, are there limitations? Do things like cleave and quick cast still come into play? This guy has leadership and we're experiencing a lot more of the ready actions this game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
Do things like cleave and quick cast still come into play? This guy has leadership and we're experiencing a lot more of the ready actions this game.

Yeah they do.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Doug File
United Kingdom
Oxfordshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
kidcheckers wrote:
If Runemaster Thorn buys armor (reducing movement to under 5) does his teleport no longer work since it's 5 movement? Or can you sub in fatigue points to do it?

Just to clarify, Chain Mail reduces Thorn's Speed to 4, not his Movement. So if he is wearing Chain Mail and he declares a Run action, he has 8 movement points to spend (2xSpeed).

Krulz wrote:
As long as he spent 5 MP he can do it

Exactly, so in the example above where he has declared a Run action and has 8 movement points, he can teleport (at a cost of 5 movement points) and could move 3 spaces as well.

Alternatively, say he had declared an Advance action. He gets 1xSpeed in movement points, so with the Chain Mail he has only 4 movement points to spend. If he spends 1 fatigue for another movement point he can now Teleport (and he could spend more fatigue to move even further if he wants).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oscar
Spain
Madrid
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
After you play around a bit more you ll be used to the "tricks" of this game like if you are playing with Thorn and you have 4 fatigue tokens and a Potion of Vitality:

-Declare Advance
-You spend 4 Fatigue tokens to have 4MP+1MP (teleport)
-Attack
-You have 4 MP left(5-1)
-Drink a Potion of Vitality
-Now you have 4 MP left(5-1) and 4 fatigue tokens
-Spend 1 fatigue token to have 1 MP more (4+1).
-Teleport.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.