Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Peter B
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When playing "live online" via VASSAL, each player can make evade decisions (and momentum advance) decisions in the heat of the moment.

Have people found a reasonable way to handle these decisions for PBEM games? It seems super-painful to send partial turn log files back and forth just to handle those decisions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Duke
United States
Georgetown
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
What I've done is assume the guy evades 95% of the time. In about that percentage of times, it's the obvious thing to do.

In those rare occasions when there is doubt and it might make tactical sense not to evade, a quick snapshot of the game map with the area highlighted in question seems to work faster than sending partial game files.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
peterb12 wrote:

Have people found a reasonable way to handle these decisions for PBEM games? It seems super-painful to send partial turn log files back and forth just to handle those decisions.

The way I've handled these situations is that when the player comes across the decision that was made for them and decides they would handle it differently, at that point they start a new gamelog, make the change, and then continue on. If the change in decision affects the other decisions made during that turn, then one would stop the logfile and send it back.

Typically, if two people are playing the game and are comfortable playing each other, have the requisite trust, etc., this works fine.

This is even more fun with BattleLore

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
BrentS
Australia
Sydney
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
toddrew wrote:

This is even more fun with BattleLore

On the hard sell this week, Todd.......Battles of Westeros must really have gotten under your skin

I've never done Vassal C&C:A PBEM.....I know you've played some Epic that way but I'm wondering what its advantages are and how satisfying it is for such a quick playing, fast tempo game as C&C:A.

I'm 3 weeks into my first PBEM effort, a game of Twilight Struggle, which I am enjoying but just constantly thinking to myself that we could have done it all in an hour.

Brent.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Todd Rewoldt
United States
Loveland
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There was a rather dark period in 2008 where I was desperate to get games in and resorted to PBEM - has its charms and I became pretty good friends with a chap from Norway as a result.

I prefer "live" games of C&C on vassal, but for those unable to meet up in that fashion (internet connection speeds in Afghanistan being the force factor for the C&C:Ancients pbem games, incompatible time zones/sleeping schedules for the BattleLore pbem's) it is a satisfying alternative. In fact, playing in that matter lends to a more contemplative pace of play, often thinking thrice where before twice.

Man, I've got to find out what Ask Eirik is up to...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.