Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi!

Here's what happened when I started playing Aton with my wife, after I'd already gotten 3 games under my belt.

At first, I had described the rules and she almost fell asleep. It had been a rough day, and she wasn't in the mood to learn a new game. It doesn't help that I hadn't played it yet at that point.

After I played 3 games with another friend, we got back to it. The rest of this story takes place in one day. As I re-explained the rules, she asked me if it really would be easy to play. I said that after a game or two, she'd get it. She seemed skeptical. :)

So the first game went pretty fast. I won by taking all the squares in the 1st temple after only a few turns. She started watching carefully for that win condition.

The next game, I dominated by using the 1st and 3rd temples and the black squares. The number of points you can score on those if unopposed is pretty large.

We took a break to do some other things.

During the next game, it was much closer in terms of points, and I came within one square of winning with all yellow. I eventually won on points due to the 3rd temple again.

With all of these experiences behind us, she decided that it was in fact quite easy to play, and was also a lot of fun. After dinner, she asked to play again, so we did.

I thought I was doing pretty well in the 3rd temple again, but on the first scoring round she took black, a lot of points in the 1st temple, 12 for the 4th temple, and a bunch for bonus squares. She now had double my points, and I had to play very carefully.

After a 6 point round for her from cartouche 1, she was getting quite close to winning. I had to play high cards in #1 from here on out. I tried to maneuver to slow down the progress in the Kingdom of the Dead to stave off another scoring round, which would certainly end the game in her favor. I played a lot of 2s in the 2nd cartouche.

A few more points trickled in through the 1st cartouche for her, and now she was two points from 40. With 6 tokens in the KotD, I couldn't stop the scoring round from happening soon. I managed to nab the black squares with a quick couple kills and risking playing my 4 in cartouche 2 instead of 1, hoping she wouldn't play a 4 there (she didn't), and the scoring round started.

It was close, with the final score being 38 to 44, her favor.

I have to say, as I play Aton more, the competition gets tighter and it gets to be more fun. After today, I bumped my rating of it up to 8 from 7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrzej Sieradzki
Poland
Opole
flag msg tools
badge
We don't stop playing when we get old, but we get old when we stop playing.
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the review. I bought Aton a while ago and want to give it a try with my wife, too. She is a good player and it's gonna be a challange...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Palmson
Sweden
Malmo
flag msg tools
Thanks for sharing this experience! I was convinced to get the game and start playing it with my girlfriend,.. and its really fun!

We played through it three times the first night, and you get the hang of it quite quickly.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ethan Larson
Canada
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Glad to hear it helped someone! Also glad to hear you liked it. :)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.