Arkham Horror» Forums » General

Subject: How can one person beat the game? seriously. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Thomas Montgomery
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
I don't get it. If a gate opens every round (or close to it) and the doom track starts filling up EVERY time a gate opens and it takes you THREE rounds to get thru to close ONE gate (walk into the location with gate getting pulled...next round, go to second area of other world...next round, go back to arkham and try to close the gate). It's impossible, what am I doing wrong??? I have yet to see the arkham features of the game like purchasing items, getting allies, and so forth because i'm too busy running around like a chicken getting to gates and getting through them so slow.

If I'm doing something wrong please help me out. Thanks.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Fralish
United States
Yorktown Heights
New York
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The key to playing it solo is to control more than one investigator. I usually play with three in my solo games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
Try using more than one investigator. Seriously. It will give you some breathing room.

I generally play with two investigators when I go solo. It's true that I don't win often, but that just makes the victories sweeter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thomas Montgomery
United States
Arkansas
flag msg tools
then would you play by 2 or 3 person monster limits in this situation? because its more or less playing with 2-3 people with multiple investigators under your control.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ricky
United States
New York
flag msg tools
mb
A gate doesn't necessarily open every round because if there's already an open gate at a location, you get a monster surge. This is actually helpful because the terror track alleviates the pressure on the doom track. The monster limit is only 4, so a lot of the board will still be open to you.

Even if the doom track fills up, you can still win in final combat (though some people play that as a draw).

I won my first game of Arkham Horror with one character because I was able to sneak past all the monsters while grabbing clues and sealing gates.

Edit: Yes, you would play with the monster limit for the appropriate number of characters.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rob Bell
United States
Osceola Mills
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Scythe!
badge
Life is not a game - games are life.
mbmbmbmbmb
piratesbooty wrote:
then would you play by 2 or 3 person monster limits in this situation? because its more or less playing with 2-3 people with multiple investigators under your control.

Yeah. The rulebook isn't very good about that. It should say # of Investigators not # of Players in the tables at the back of the book for the limits.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
LessonIsNeverTry wrote:
A gate doesn't necessarily open every round because if there's already an open gate at a location, you get a monster surge. This is actually helpful because the terror track alleviates the pressure on the doom track. The monster limit is only 4, so a lot of the board will still be open to you.

This is key. I've played solo with a single character twice. I won one of the games. I was on the way to winning the other based on normal play elements, but I got Lost in Time and Space and the GOO was Azathoth which instantly kills you. Switching investigators hosed me in that one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Wouter Dhondt
Belgium
Anzegem
flag msg tools
My armor is contempt. My shield is disgust. My sword is hatred. In the Emperor's name, let none survive.
badge
Song of my soul, my voice is dead; Die thou, unsung, as tears unshed. Shall dry and die in Lost Carcosa.
mbmbmbmbmb
Dormammu wrote:
This is key. I've played solo with a single character twice. I won one of the games. I was on the way to winning the other based on normal play elements, but I got Lost in Time and Space and the GOO was Azathoth which instantly kills you. Switching investigators hosed me in that one.

From memory, but you probably mean Yog-Sothoth.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob T
United States
Mantua (near Woodbury)
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe, just maybe one Investigator could do it with "Find Gate" spell AND "Arcane Insight" (from King In Yellow)

You'd have to win by getting 6 Gates sealed; you could never win by closing all the Gates with just one guy. But you'd need phenomenal luck to get that many Clues in time...

Wonder if one guy can do it starting out with Deputy of Arkham, Blessed, a Tommy Gun, 2 Elder Signs, Find Gate spell, Wither, and a Healing Stone; think that'd give him enough of a chance?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Karl
Austria
Salzburg
Salzburg
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I had a solo single investigator game where the clue tokens run out; I still lost. Single investigator is incredibly hard and needs a good deal of luck and that is base game only. With additional boards I guess the game becomes impossible.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Withstand
Indonesia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I tried collecting clue tokens to seal gates on my first time playing solo......Doh gulp

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gherardo
Italy
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I won a game versus Nyarlathotep using only an investigator... but it was my third try!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Max Maloney
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
badge
"If trees could scream, would we be so cavalier about cutting them down? We might, if they screamed all the time, for no good reason." -Jack Handey
mbmbmbmbmb
Kwakkie wrote:
From memory, but you probably mean Yog-Sothoth.

Oops, you are correct.

In my experience with single-investigator, the key is when the gates start surging (slowing the rate of new gates). The extra influx of monsters isn't so bad because the in-town monster limit is low and the outskirts limit is pretty high.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dave Taylor
United States
Bothell
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
With 1 or 2 investigators, I like to play with the herald Hypnos from the Kingsport expansion. He causes an additional clue to come out on the board every mythos phase. This is helpful because you are typically losing a lot of clues to gates opening up and remaining on the board for a long period of time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm surprised so many people have won the game with a single investigator: true solo play in my opinion and as per the rules.
I've only played three games so far, all with lone investigator and I'll keep doing so until I find time - very difficult - and friends - not so difficult - to help me.

I do not play to win at this moment, only to see how many gates I can seal. In the current game (n3) I sealed three gates only to have a Rumor card erasing them all while I was lost in space/time.
Now the question is: how do you manage Rumor cards with a single player?
My impression is that in true solo drawing one Rumor card = lose game.
There isn't a word on setup about solo play and I think that most or all of these cards should be removed with a single investigator: I wonder if they really playtested before marketing this as a solo, seen as 1 person / 1 investigator game.
Still I plan to keep playing as per the rules, because I do enjoy a challenge. If people can win the lottery I guess I'll have a chance in here too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris toph
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
Not an actual picture of me!
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't see how a single player playing with any amount of investigators bigger than 1 by all the rules is not playing a single player game?
And it's a lot of fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Bolton
England
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
nothing to see here, move along
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Eldarest wrote:
I'm surprised so many people have won the game with a single investigator: true solo play in my opinion and as per the rules.
....... I wonder if they really playtested before marketing this as a solo, seen as 1 person / 1 investigator game.
Still I plan to keep playing as per the rules, because I do enjoy a challenge. If people can win the lottery I guess I'll have a chance in here too.

Solo play does not mean only using 1 investigator, it means playing on your own (as in - not with another hunam being). Playing with only one investigator is not recommended for solo play in Arkham Horror. The rules allow for a team of investigators to be used in solo play. This is how many solitaire games work. If you are using all expansions using only one investigator means you will almost certainly loose every game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eldar Closer
Portugal
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
nickbolton wrote:

Solo play does not mean only using 1 investigator, it means playing on your own (as in - not with another hunam being).

Thank you for your thorough definition but I like to play alone with a single investigator. Play with more as friends join in: that's a good stimulus for trying to not play exclusively alone.

Rules Summary:
Too Many Gates; Number of Players 1-2 giving 8
Monster Limit = (1 in my case)+3
Outskirts Number of Players 1 - yielding a unique value of 7

Therefore the rules are supposed to have been designed for 1 player one investigator. As such I bought AH and it is just my personal preference. It is faster and also mitigates split personality tendencies!

nickbolton wrote:

If you are using all expansions using only one investigator means you will almost certainly loose every game.

I lose almost every game in the basic set and have ordered Lurker so that I can lose a some more.
Any of this not mean there are no obvious scalability issues that should be addressed in the future.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.