Recommend
1 
 Thumb up
 Hide
4 Posts

Axis & Allies Europe 1940» Forums » General

Subject: Is nobody playing the game by itself? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Bernd Caspers
Germany
Mönchengladbach
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I read things about missing Japanese planes and see a world map when I click on "game" (as opposed to "creative").
While I don´t want to spoil the enthusiams of hardcore Axis&Allies players, who can now live out their dream of a detailed global A&A game, I find this a bit discouraging for players who might want to buy one single game of the series to scratch their A&A itch, without devoting that much time and money to one single series.

How is the game by itself, is it fun and balanced?
The game says 2-6 players, does that mean it´s 2 Axis (Germany,Italy) vs 4 Allies (Britain, France, Russia and the U.S.)?
Sounds highly unbalanced (not unlike the real thing ) for the Axis.
Can you prevent the U.S. from entering the war or at least delay it until later than historical?

I think it would be most interesting to play the French or Italians.
Both didn´t achieve much in the war and are often ridiculed for it (rightfully or not) so you can really change history with outperforming the historical contribution.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Hayes
Canada
Niagara Falls
Ontario
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Unless something goes terribly wrong for the Axis, France isn't much of an issue. Italy however must perform well for the Axis to have a chance. The Axis has four rounds before the Americans and Soviets come in so they have some breathing room but the clock is ticking. We haven't played enough games to decide if the game is balanced but it doesn't seem too far off.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Corbett
Canada
Calgary
Alberta
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
If I don't have time to play global or just want a change of pace I play Europe or Pacific on their own. The french can be played but they are not really a nation you can play on it's own. The Italians can be fun, they are a bit stronger in the game then they were historically.

The Europe game has Germany and Italy, Soviets, Us and Uk. France shouldn't be played on it's own.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jan Ozimek
Denmark
Aalborg
flag msg tools
badge
Must resist M:tG. Boardgames are my methadone :)
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The Jakster wrote:
I read things about missing Japanese planes and see a world map when I click on "game" (as opposed to "creative").

The missing Japanese planes are an issue with this game's counterpart: Axis & Allies Pacific 1940. (The problem is solved by contacting WotC customer service).

The two games can be combined to form a global game. Unfortunately the combined game doesn't have a BGG entry of it's own as it is not a product as such.

The Jakster wrote:
While I don´t want to spoil the enthusiams of hardcore Axis&Allies players, who can now live out their dream of a detailed global A&A game, I find this a bit discouraging for players who might want to buy one single game of the series to scratch their A&A itch, without devoting that much time and money to one single series.

If you are "only" a casual or beginning A&A player, I would suggest taking a look at the series' entry level game: Axis & Allies: 1942. It is a complete, global game that (in theory) supports up to 5 players. In reality I would prefer to play it as a two player game as there are essentailly only two sides, as in all other A&A games.

The Jakster wrote:

How is the game by itself, is it fun and balanced?

The Pacific game had some serious balance issues, that became clear very soon after the game was released. I have only played a couple of Europe games, but it has been out for some time now, and no unbreakable strategies have been reported for either side on the various A&A forums. The game seems to be slightly biased towards the Allies, but it is no more unbalanced than the previously released games like Revised Axis & Allies from 2004 or Axis & Allies Anniversary Edition from 2008. In those games any (perceived) balance issues are elegantly fixed with a bid for the side that is deemed overpowered. This is standard procedure in tournament environments, and can also be used in casual games.

The Jakster wrote:
The game says 2-6 players, does that mean it´s 2 Axis (Germany,Italy) vs 4 Allies (Britain, France, Russia and the U.S.)?

The player nations in the Europe game are:
-Germany
-Italiy
-UK
-US
-Russia

-Frace is technically a player power like the others, but in reality Paris is lost in turn 2 at the latest, so they are unplayable as a person's only nation. I would not play the game with more than 3 players, and would prefer only 2.
IMO you need to combine the two games to support 6 players. Even then down time would be unacceptable for me.

The Jakster wrote:
Sounds highly unbalanced (not unlike the real thing ) for the Axis.

The nations don't have equal starting forces or positions, so the number of playable nations on each side is not related to game balance.

The Jakster wrote:
Can you prevent the U.S. from entering the war or at least delay it until later than historical?

Unless the Axis attack the US they are not allowed to enter the war (or Europe at all) before turn 5.
More or less same situation with Russia.

The Jakster wrote:
I think it would be most interesting to play the French or Italians.
Both didn´t achieve much in the war and are often ridiculed for it (rightfully or not) so you can really change history with outperforming the historical contribution.

As stated above, France is not really feasible as a player's only nation, as they would effectively be out of the game after turn 1 or 2.
Italy on the other hand is very playable.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.